View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 11:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
You misunderstood me.
(1) Of course we can have 110 km/h speed limit on a 4 lane divided freeway. If anything, it gets harder with 6 lanes.
(2) Like I said, some cases are easier to make (like Espanola to North Bay) and some harder (like North Bay and east). Some are straight up non-starters at this time.

Remember that extensive conversation that we had about shoehorning freeways? That’s what I was referring to. My thoughts have been this.
(1) Where 6 lanes have some basis to it, it should have either 6 lanes right away or 4 lanes with a median barrier with possible expansion outward.
(2) Where 6 lanes are not at all warranted, especially where even 4 lanes are pushing it right now, it should have 4 lanes with a median barrier. This configuration allows maximal use of current alignment because we can shoehorn the freeway. As for concerns about snow clearing in winter, we can probably refer to how B.C. deals with highways in the Interior.
(3) Overbuilt freeways invite excessive speeds. If Highway 400 extension is built with median barriers and narrow left shoulders (though widen right shoulders), I will know that 120~132 km/h is my range. With what we have right now, if it weren’t for O.P.P., I really would max it at 200 km/h. Seriously 120 km/h on Highway 400 north of Crown Hills feels more like 80 km/h.
If somewhere like Wyoming can have interstates, we can have full freeways. I do feel the speed limits are artificially too low in Ontario. The 407 could have no speed limit and likely remain as safe as it is now.