View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 11:18 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
I don't know why you think that if Thompson Newspapers bought up the Free Press again, that doing so would magically transform the newspaper and double the number of content pages.

They owned it between 1980 (the day the Trib closed forever) and 2002 (during the True North arena sh1t -- they bought up the Eaton's building and eaton place that's why they were so rah-rah in favour of the Arena).

I would much rather prefer Canwest buy it up, since Canwest is more of a Canadian company than Thompson is.
I am not taking favorites.. just that things will improve either way.

.. and I also agree the Free Press has been a mindless cheer leader, who refused to challenge the status quo. Which is the best arguement to why the Winnipeg Sun is the premier paper in the city. It challenges the those in power.

With that said I think it was very justifiable to support the True North Project as it was proven to be a massive success. If it did't go through it would still be an empty department store. It also lead MEC and A&B to invest in the area.. as the plans were on the table when they made there investment.

Now that A&B has closed I am hoping another retailer will soon take over that location. It recieved a good amount of investment and is ready to go.. just needs some paint on the exterior and a new sign.

I am not sure why you'd suggest Thompson media isn't Canadian ... as Canadian as you can get in my books.