View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 6, 2009, 6:56 AM

Personally, while my condolences and regrets go to those who are laid-off, and I believe will never work another shift at Stelco, I couldn't help but grin when I finally could see that things finally have the opportunity to change.

Will the next 5-10-15 years be easy for Hamilton? Heck no, I think it's gonna get pretty bad, and sorry, downtown core was in a sorry state even during the economic boom and prosperity period earlier this decade. But, with property values declining, new land potentially becoming available on Burlington Bay, opportunities are gonna be coming.

Don't compare yourself to Pittsburgh. Other than what industry used to be there, they have really little in common. Hamilton, like it or not, is nowadays simply part of the GTA. We have the chance to be the next region to grow, expand, and redevelop. Toronto (the biggest and most powerful city and metropolis) is literally next door. With the greenbelt slowly running out of room, and prime land going to be popping up with GORGEOUS views of the Harbour, The Skyway Bridge, and the escarpment all around, that's one heck of a location if redevelopment is in the books.

Hamilton might be hurting, house prices might plummet, but hey, cheap housing might not be a bad thing, if we want to attract new people, even if they commute to work. If you can offset those commuters onto the GO Train, who knows what type of Transit service you might receive.

I'll be back in Hamilton in september, back at Mohawk for my 3rd year of my studies, am I looking forward to it? Not at all, but it could be an interesting time where the dynamics of the city finally can change.