View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdan View Post
With that many people loosing their jobs in Hamilton, won't it will have a ripple effect on the whole city? All those people are out of jobs, so what are they going to do, where are they going to go? Many may move away from Hamilton to find jobs in their field. I don't think there are any short term or long term benefits to the closure of the Stelco plant - it's just another domino falling in the wider recession.
I don't think so. Workers are no longer concentrated close to the factory, they are spread out even further than the city limits. That minimizes the impact on any specific housing area. There was a time when workers lived clustered close to the mills. My wife's grandfather walked to Stelco for his entire career, mid - 40's to 80's. Those times are long gone, and I'd be willing to hazard a guess there no one who currently walks to Stelco (or at least, I could count them on my fingers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdan View Post
Others have made this point on the long term effect. There will never be enough money for Hamilton to clean up those brown-lands if Stelco doesn't re-open. Who would pay to clean that up and then build something there like a condo when they could simply build their condo somewhere else that doesn't require millions of dollars of cleanup. And... who is going to be the first to build there when there is no guarantee that the whole thing will be cleaned up and revitalized.
It won't be the cities money unless tied to a specific smallish redevelopment which will pay it back through property taxes. It will be provincial, or federal money, or a combination of both.