View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 7:35 PM

Since the topic has resurfaced
Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
So students are going to say "you know I would enroll at RRC but I might end up having class at that building without the walkway and then I could have to go outside for like 20 seconds. Maybe I'll just go to SAIT instead"?? There's no attached parkade or bus shelter so how are these people getting to and from the building if they're too delicate to be outside for 20 seconds? The fact that they're closing the street and building the walkway makes it extra ridiculous.
When you're a developer, the tenants are your income, they might as well be your children. In a more progressive real estate world, you do whatever is necessary to enhance the experience of the tenant. To treat a poor (typically) student's need to enroll with you with contempt over civic planning theology is absurd in real estate circles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I went to this campus too. The beauty of the way these programs are designed is you only have classes in one building, and if you need to put a jacket on to get a coffee, so be it. That's the way the rest of the city and world works.

When I went to U of W I had classes in buildings all over campus and had to cross Portage or go outside almost every class. You're an adult, figure it out. The Exchange is not a place for skywalks. If it's that important because god forbid you should be cold or (OMG) have to carry a JACKET?!!?.. in WINNIPEG – build a tunnel.
Who is the building for? The owner and the user.

and a tunnel? $$$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Hmm, it kind of seems like you are saying you are basically lazy. You note that it is necessary to put a coat on to do other things but you are happy to spend the extra millions on a skywalk just so you can walk to a class in shirtsleeves across a street that will be effectively closed for traffic. I say put your jacket on, take the stairs and walk the 20 metres to the next building.
Many of you are missing it. Again, connectivity is related to "location, location, location". STudents do choose where they go for a myriad of reasons. Many study outside MB, and yes, when you LEAVE Manitoba, cold is a factor. Mitigate it, you help keep people here.

In addition to "locationX3", does everyone remember "highest and best use?" In this case, the highest and best use to enable comfort, connectivity, and convenience in a campus may well include a skywalk without resorting to calling people lazy.

The more I think about it, the more it's a no-brainer. Having to move up and down stairs, over a block, and then repeat the process in another building reminds me of "just go underground, or go to McDermott, cross there, then take a right to go to Richardson"