View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 2:48 AM

Hmmm... even one of the two or three NBAers that showed up just admitted that he wouldn't eff around with his career and livelihood on the line like some of the other guys. I guess he's also not patriotic like the guys that skipped the FIBA.

Quote:
Free agency could throw a wrench into Olynyk's plans to play for Canada

TORONTO - Kelly Olynyk was wearing the Canadian red and white when he slipped on the Mattamy Athletic Centre floor in August and fell. He landed on his knee so hard that people seated in the arena's first couple of rows heard the thud during the exhibition game against Nigeria.

The 28-year-old has always been eager and willing to play for Canada's men's basketball team.

But free agency - particularly knowing first-hand the risk of injury - could throw a wrench into Olynyk's plans to play for Canada this summer.

“Often the reason why guys can't play is because they don't have a contract,” the Miami Heat centre said Tuesday. “It's a lot to risk, especially with me playing (in August) and getting hurt and missing the training camp and pre-season, basically, and just trying to get back to 100 per cent, still.

“It's not easy to walk into one of those things and to put your career on the line. And as much as you want to, and as much as you know you'd love to do it, it's tough. It's really tough to do.”

The 28-year-old from Kamloops, B.C., could opt out of his contract and become a free agent on July 1, just days after Canada's last-chance Olympic qualifying tournament in Victoria. The Canadian men must win the six-country tournament June 23-28 to qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Games, what would be the team's first appearance in 20 years.

“(If) I'm able to and my contract and stuff has settled out and I'm feeling healthy, then there's no reason why I won't be there,” Olynyk said after Miami's morning shootaround at Scotiabank Arena.

Olynyk is averaging 8.7 points and 5.2 rebounds this season, only now finally rounding into form after his summer injury. Much like fractures, bone bruises heal slowly. It was six weeks before Olynyk was even allowed to do any work in the pool.