Thread: 407 Transitway
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 3:05 PM

407 Transitway

Okay, so I spent around 20 minutes trying to figure out where to post this. I suspected it would be more of a Toronto thing, but Toronto has so many buildings that transit and infrastructure are barely talked about.

This starts in Burlington and goes past Oakville, both of which don't have their own section. So here we are. If you can think of a better place, let me know, or move it. I couldn't find an existing discussion about this, and honestly I just heard of this project yesterday. I think it would affect Hamilton, despite not venturing into Hamilton, and since this forum also includes Burlington, I figured it would make some sort of sense. I only heard of this because one of the public meetings is in Burlington tonight and tomorrow at Mainway Arena. This has apparently been planned for 10+ years, and is only finally getting potentially started soonish (assuming cancellation is not in sight).

The 407 Transitway: - http://www.407transitway.com/

The Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) is undertaking the Planning Phase, the Environmental Assessment (EA) and the Preliminary Design for the 407 Transitway from west of Brant Street in Burlington, to east of Brock Road in the City of Pickering. Subject to the outcome of the study, the 407 Transitway will be implemented initially as bus rapid transit (BRT) with the opportunity to convert to light rail transit (LRT) in the future.

The transitway seems to exist in 4 sections:
  • Brant Street - Hurontario St
  • Hurontario St - Highway 400
  • Highway 400 - Kennedy Rd
  • Kennedy Rd - Brock Road

I am curious how this could affect Hamilton in that while 70% of Hamiltonians work in the city, evidently 30% do not, and what a Brant St to Mississauga/Brampton/Vaughn/Airport BRT may change how Hamiltonians get around the GTHA.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Last edited by TheRitsman; Nov 28, 2018 at 3:31 PM. Reason: add info