View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 9, 2007, 2:46 AM
Jeepus Africanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
What did you say to this kid? Looks like you almost scared the pants off him (like you were a cop about to bust him for illegal skateboarding):

When I pulled up in the lot, he thought I was about to run him off. I told him I just wanted to shoot some photos of him skating with that great backlighting. He was cool with it. He said his name was Michael and he was a 17 year old who just dropped out of high school.

Okay, and about my photos. I've never claimed to be a complete city photographer, nor a suburban or college campus photographer. I like to take photos of city centers and commercial districts. I tried to make it clear in my original post that I acknowledge that Lubbock has some decent parts of town, but I don't care for taking photos of houses, dorms, and strip malls.

I don't hate Lubbock, but I don't like it very much either. The city, with the exception of the newer exurbs, are dirty and I would be willing to bet there there are as many asphalt parking lots as there are people there. Lubbock flaunts Texas Tech because it has nothing else to offer. The city hasn't seen any significant growth in many years, and it's easy to see driving down any of the main avenues (19th/34th/50th/Ave Q, etc) and see all the abandonment.

This huge project that the city is undertaking, namely the demolition of the so called Tech Slum area and the new housing and commercial zoning that will take it's place, might turn that around, but I think that the fact that the city is not sitting on a major Interstate and has few large employers (aside from Covenant and Tech) will keep the city from ever becoming anything special.

One last thing, if Texans from not one city, but basically cities from all over the state have bad opinions on Lubbock, couldn't that mean that there's something to all those Lubbock jokes?

Thanks for all the discussion in this thread. It was a pleasant surprise to come home from a trip and see that it had hit 4 pages.