View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
I didn't get the impression that the master plan relied on any infrastructure changes. I think people are taking the "rapid" terminology the wrong way, but I could be wrong.

The whole point of these things is how do we fix transit routes without having to do anything other than changing the routes themselves (and signage, etc.).

Here's another example of it done:

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...ership/496313/
There is no way that the downtown section of Portage is adequate as a transit backbone in its current form. There would need to be a completely dedicated lane for buses to make up for the loss of Graham Avenue. Using Portage in its current state would mean paralyzing the southwest transitway service every afternoon rush hour.

Also the proposed downtown network relies pretty heavily on Portage & Main as a transfer point, and with our current infrastructure it's not even possible for buses to stop there.

I'm not saying they have to build a transitway, but the current infrastructure on Portage Avenue and Main Street will need some upgrading before it can reliably be used as a spine for the three proposed RT routes.

The rest of the proposed network can be implemented without infrastructure changes, but without a reliable core of RT routes to connect to, I don't think it's going to work out very well.

The planning documents describe it as a 25-year plan.