View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 3:19 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker View Post
So what are the things you wish Canada had to distinguish ourselves from the US?

I.e. in terms of language, culture, traditions, transit, education, sports, media etc.
Why do so many Canadians have such a deep need to be different than the US/Americans? It says a lot about the national psyche that we're not comfortable with Canada and the US being so similar. Austia and Switzerland are similar too but you won't find Austrians desperate to be 'not Swiss'. If it's so important, it's the Americans that can do the changing. They're far too Canadianized. They live in Canadian style houses, dress like us, talk like us, play our sports, and even copy our holiday traditions.

To be a sport I'll play though. I wish Canada had experimented far more with Canadian Chateau Style architecture. Another 1,000 buildings like the Royal York or Banff Springs would have been fabulous.