View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The Starbucks at 201 Portage felt long overdue before it opened. The challenge is I thought, before it opened, that the vacant main floor space more into the building and on the corner of the intersection was where the eventual coffee shop would go. Instead they crammed the Starbucks into what used to be a travel agent office. That weird back corner that can't really be scene isn't doing much for them.

--

In terms of the downtown residential such as 300 Main St I was reading an excellent article today how grocery shopping is increasingly something young adults are doing online to the point the transaction time in the seconds range matters to them.

I have said it before, that adults roughly 30 and under would rather buy their groceries from a web site than pushing a cart around a traditional store means the long dreamed of full line downtown grocery store is all but dead. Why go to the high costs of a dedicated downtown store when you can run a van or two out of your McPhillips Ave location and delivery to people's doors downtown.
I'm 26, I rarely do my grocery shopping myself – I do Click n Collect at Superstore, the odd time SaveOn delivery. It's great – Superstore is working toward delivery here soon, and that'll be the end of going into the store for me.

I could definitely see something like Loblaws set up a small footprint store in 330 Main, or possibly even just expand Shoppers now that they own it, and use it as a pick up point for online orders. Kind of like a grocery showroom lol.