View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 9:04 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Might the height limit also be due to not wanting to block views of the CMHR?

6 storeys does seem a bit on the small side for that development potential and for Winnipeg in general, imo, but maybe otoh it is just the right size & fit for that area and the city.

Just have to trust that all those involved are taking the project very seriously, and at the very least, filling those spaces up with a pedestrian oriented space will be extremely welcomed and go a long way to connecting to the other portions of downtown.
I was on the design team...I can tell you without any hesitation, the 6 storey limit is to increase density, diversity, affordability and street activity...anything above six and you lose connection to the sidewalk.

the goal is to create a healthy urban neighbourhood and that is done with 6 storey and under buildings, not towers....

towers create a homogenous resident...rich people....because they are expensive to build and require high rents or sales costs to make work.

the pitfall of going after a 'target market' can be seen with waterfront drive....a thousand wealthy retirees is not a neighbourhood.....that's why it is a failure....a mixture of small buildings with all types of residents...that's a neighbourhood.