View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2016, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Too bad they already obliterated the street interaction with the hotel nearer to Albert Street.

Makes sense to me for the most part. I'm curious as to what kinds of things for amenities (park, entertainment) are in the plans. I'd really love to see a festival-type park space created that could house the Folk Festival. I'd like to see Victoria Park generally be the quiet Victorian era park it really should be. It is such a formally laid out plan and a much-used circulation pathway within downtown that it sucks when it is fenced off and inaccessible to people not involved in the event going on.

I'm also curious to see what kinds of linkages are planned across the tracks because that is a key component.
A bit off topic but I volunteered at the Folk Festival for many years and could not disagree with you more re: use of Victoria Park. It's the perfect setting for this type of festival! Only one quadrant is fenced off as a ticketed area, leaving 3/4 of the park open and inviting to anyone to stop, sit on the grass and enjoy the music. In fact the three FREE stages in the park during the daytime on Sat & Sun of the festival often feature the best music of the whole weekend.

Also a lot of festival goers spill out into other parts of the downtown too. I think there should be a dozen weekends like this in Victoria Park every year.