View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I do not accurately know the exact history but it is likely some form of the City lacked usable office space at the time and a department (property and planning?) moved into the difficult to lease commercial space in Fort Garry Place.

Next in the timeline, Canada Post moved out of their downtown space, including the office tower on Graham.

Then the city took ownership of the full block and built a new police hq with a plan to lease out the tower.

It then learned the tower cannot be put on the market for generalized leased due to security concerns for police hq.

This leaves the city owning an office tower and playing upkeep while it sits mostly vacant. They also separately pay to lease space in privately owned buildings.

The challenge I have is us taxpayers on on the hook for the office tower that is being highly underutilized and the City needs to find a way to change that. Giving up leases in buildings they do not currently own is the best way to address that and lower the overall property costs for City operations.
I don't understand why they can't use that tower next to the police headquarters for government workers? This issue has been known for a few years and yet the offices still sit empty.