View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 1:01 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
So I started watching Electric Dreams on Amazon Prime, which are a series of adaptations of some of Philip K Dick's short stories. The first episode takes place in Chicago and has some good shots. There is also kind of "futuristic Chicago" in that episode. Thought right away it was in Chicago because of a building that looked like the top of Merchandise Mart and was lit up like it. When they arrived at Lou Mitchell's in the episode, it was obvious.
I watched them all. Before I started, I hadn't known they were partly filmed here so it was like a little extra bonus for me. About a third of them seem to be filmed in Chicago. It's nice to see Chicago showing up in so much film these days. When I first moved here it was fairly rare but now it's become much more common, almost certainly due to the studios in the southwest side. Even with the tax credits, it's got to be some of the cheapest publicity Chicago can get, even when Chicago isn't as in-your-face as in the Dick Wolf series. In New York, the Law & Order series' singlehandedly kept a lot of actors eating, and if the Chicago shows have enough staying power I would hope they could benefit local actors in much the same way, perhaps enabling more actors to stick around instead of having to move to New York or LA too actually make a career of acting. I don't think we're quite there yet, but it could happen if things keep going.
[/SIZE]