Thread: VIA Rail
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 9:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post

I just don't think you understand the costs involved. While I agree trains are more comfortable than buses, without a mind boggling investment in upgrades, the these long distance routes will be slower, less frequent, and more expensive than buses and have a much higher carbon footprint.

People often argue for trains for environmental reasons, and while they can be green when carrying lots of passengers, for smaller passenger loads, buses are far greener.

I don't disagree, but the local media will complain that VIA is destroying a local business.

You are forgetting that the northern route was picked because it serves communities that have no roads and the train is a lifeline. It is kind of like saying we want to divert money from heart transplants to cosmetic surgery because there is more demand for it. VIA can't abandon that route, but it is too long a route to be done with daylight service. Diverting tourists to a new route would make the subsidies required for that northern route to go through the roof.

If we can fix the road access problem, allowing VIA to abandon the northern route, then I agree that the southern route makes more sense.
I was not suggesting cancelling the northern route, but having less cars on the train.