View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 5:57 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground View Post
The Queen/Sovereign/head of state is already Canadian.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I'll ask what I always do in these silly monarchy discussions over the years and never get a reply back.............

How is Canada's constitutional monarchy system fundamentally failing Canada?
First of all, I don't consider someone who was neither born in nor lived in Canada to be Canadian. You can legally declare a sofa to be a dishwasher, and even write it into a constitution, but that doesn't make it true.

As for the fundamental failing, I would think that is obvious. The British monarchy is a cultural, tourism and publicity boon, but for London and the UK. Very few people outside of Canada associate the monarchy with Canada, instead viewing it as a British institution (which of course it is). Over the years we have pumped millions of dollars into the British economy instead of our own in the form of free publicity (portraits in public buildings, faces on Money, etc) and we only benefit by getting the odd visit once or twice a decade - which we pay for.

Now you may be thinking, "If its major failings are in terms of image, that doesn't sound very serious" but considering that its whole role is merely ceremonial, to have such a complete failure in that department is pretty damming.

Now to be clear, I'm not suggesting that we necessarily need to get rid of the Constitutional Monarchy system, just that we get a heard of state that is actually in Canada and which Canada does not share with other nations.