HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 3:05 PM

407 Transitway

Okay, so I spent around 20 minutes trying to figure out where to post this. I suspected it would be more of a Toronto thing, but Toronto has so many buildings that transit and infrastructure are barely talked about.

This starts in Burlington and goes past Oakville, both of which don't have their own section. So here we are. If you can think of a better place, let me know, or move it. I couldn't find an existing discussion about this, and honestly I just heard of this project yesterday. I think it would affect Hamilton, despite not venturing into Hamilton, and since this forum also includes Burlington, I figured it would make some sort of sense. I only heard of this because one of the public meetings is in Burlington tonight and tomorrow at Mainway Arena. This has apparently been planned for 10+ years, and is only finally getting potentially started soonish (assuming cancellation is not in sight).

The 407 Transitway: - http://www.407transitway.com/

The Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) is undertaking the Planning Phase, the Environmental Assessment (EA) and the Preliminary Design for the 407 Transitway from west of Brant Street in Burlington, to east of Brock Road in the City of Pickering. Subject to the outcome of the study, the 407 Transitway will be implemented initially as bus rapid transit (BRT) with the opportunity to convert to light rail transit (LRT) in the future.

The transitway seems to exist in 4 sections:
  • Brant Street - Hurontario St
  • Hurontario St - Highway 400
  • Highway 400 - Kennedy Rd
  • Kennedy Rd - Brock Road

I am curious how this could affect Hamilton in that while 70% of Hamiltonians work in the city, evidently 30% do not, and what a Brant St to Mississauga/Brampton/Vaughn/Airport BRT may change how Hamiltonians get around the GTHA.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Last edited by TheRitsman; Nov 28, 2018 at 3:31 PM. Reason: add info

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 3:11 PM

I agree this has nothing to do with this forum.. No Hamilton, no skyscrapers..

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 4:33 PM
Midtowner since 2K

This has to do with Hamilton....but there's no "GTA Infrastructure" kind of section. This can be left here for now IMO, considering half this in the suburbs or the city proper of Hamilton.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 4:39 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I actually prefer this thread to be in the general Ontario section although it’s a project in GTHA.

The purpose of 407 Transitway has always boggled my mind though. Is this to allow people to “use 407 for cheap”? Is this to ensure more frequent and more reliable Go Service?

I’d think that transitway along 401 is more practical.

I do know quite a few people that commute between 905 North and 905 West though. Perhaps such group of people is large enough to warrant something like this?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 6:10 PM

A transitway was in the design of the 407 extension from Pickering to Hwy 35/115. However when I drive that portion I don't see evidence of it. Maybe the build will in in conjunction with this portion from Burlington.

Edit: Looking at the map for 407 East it indicates "Future Transitway".

Last edited by NortheastWind; Nov 28, 2018 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 8:02 PM
Hammer'd

If I had to guess, I'd say a large part of that 30% of people who don't work within Hamilton either commute to Toronto itself or work in the Niagara Region. I think the 407 Transitway project will have a lot more of a positive effect for Halton and Peel regions than Hamilton or beyond.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
If I had to guess, I'd say a large part of that 30% of people who don't work within Hamilton either commute to Toronto itself or work in the Niagara Region. I think the 407 Transitway project will have a lot more of a positive effect for Halton and Peel regions than Hamilton or beyond.

Interestingly enough, according to the last census, very few Hamiltonians work right in TO. Most of them leaving the city work in Halton/Peel…the numbers dwindle as you go further east. The Niagara numbers are quite small too. I'm pretty sure Burlington was the largest destination for Hamilton out-commuters, but don't quote me on that…I've not seen that census data for some time.
If Burlington IS the main destination for Hamilton's out-commuters, it really highlights the need for LOCAL rapid/reliable transit in Hamilton. 70% of our residents work here in the city, and another large % work right next door.
LRT lines of Mac-Eastgate, Limeridge Mall-downtown-Waterdown, and from downtown Hamilton-through Burlington's employment cluster along the QEW (perhaps York-Plains-Farview-Harvester ending at Burloak) would revolutionize the way we get around the Bay Area and result in a huge surge of transit use. But ain't never gonna happen……

Old Posted Nov 28, 2018, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
Interestingly enough, according to the last census, very few Hamiltonians work right in TO. Most of them leaving the city work in Halton/Peel…the numbers dwindle as you go further east. The Niagara numbers are quite small too. I'm pretty sure Burlington was the largest destination for Hamilton out-commuters, but don't quote me on that…I've not seen that census data for some time.
If Burlington IS the main destination for Hamilton's out-commuters, it really highlights the need for LOCAL rapid/reliable transit in Hamilton. 70% of our residents work here in the city, and another large % work right next door.
LRT lines of Mac-Eastgate, Limeridge Mall-downtown-Waterdown, and from downtown Hamilton-through Burlington's employment cluster along the QEW (perhaps York-Plains-Farview-Harvester ending at Burloak) would revolutionize the way we get around the Bay Area and result in a huge surge of transit use. But ain't never gonna happen……
I agree completely with this. Right now getting between Burlington and Hamilton sucks by transit, and even if the train gets going, the bus essentially goes to the same place.

There needs to be better transit between Hamilton and Burlington, and Hamilton and St. Catherine's.

I am curious if this will lead more Hamiltonians to take jobs in the Peel Region.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 29, 2018, 6:25 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I am curious if this will lead more Hamiltonians to take jobs in the Peel Region.
If it speeds up the current bus trips substantially, it may (e.g., GO's 407 route that comes into downtown and to Mac). I can't imagine it having a huge impact; that's still a long trek on a bus and the connecting services at the work destination end matter too. But it improves that option. Might get more people coming into Hamilton for work opportunities too.

It may also impact mode choice for those who currently drive -- worsening highway traffic may just get them to transfer to a bus at a park and ride lot in Burlington, if it saves time, if schedules are friendly, and if connecting transport to the workplace is available.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 1:48 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure