HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 11:42 PM

A city doesn’t need high rises to define it, look at vibrant cities like Montreal and Portland. Low to mid-rise and walk-ups are what Winnipeg needs.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 2:49 AM
Transit Nerd

Jeeze, this threads getting a little insane. ANYWAYS, what are YOUR views on Downtown Winnipeg? Your is referring to everyone

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 2:06 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Aww, you're screwing with the pie in the sky nature of this thread.
Okay.

Then screw transit and apartments and give everyone jetpacks and floating houses.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 9:37 PM
Youth of a Nation

I think one thing that should be addressed like most cities do is to define core areas which are able to sustain commercial, residential or mixed. Zoned areas for only commercial or residential. I agree on that Portage should not have residential and strictly be commercial, entertainment areas.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 10:36 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
I think one thing that should be addressed like most cities do is to define core areas which are able to sustain commercial, residential or mixed. Zoned areas for only commercial or residential. I agree on that Portage should not have residential and strictly be commercial, entertainment areas.
Alrighty, but we do have a 1% vacancy rate for rental housing. We should build at least 500 runits somewhere downtown. union station or portage place perhaps?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 8:25 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Alrighty, but we do have a 1% vacancy rate for rental housing. We should build at least 500 runits somewhere downtown. union station or portage place perhaps?
Well Portage Place would take sometime to build on I would assume. They are a few other and on going projects in the works that involve residential facilities in the downtown.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 4:21 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
Well Portage Place would take sometime to build on I would assume. They are a few other and on going projects in the works that involve residential facilities in the downtown.
I know, but they're mostly condominiums. A working-class family cant afford $250,000. Portage Place should start building now. As for my earlier pictures on the thread, I should downgrade them to below 30 stories for office, and below 20 for residential

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 4:30 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Who says 'working class' people should live downtown?

Why should they live downtown?

In any other city on earth, downtown is the best part of town; The 'Boardwalk' and 'Park Place' of the Monopoly board so to speak.

It is here where you'll find the most expensive condos, nicest hotels, and the swankiest of stores.

I agree there's a need for affordable housing. I just don't think downtown is the place to do it.

$250,000 is hardly the big leagues. These days you can barely live in the North End for under $160,000.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 10:40 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

In any other city on earth, downtown is the best part of town; The 'Boardwalk' and 'Park Place' of the Monopoly board so to speak.

It is here where you'll find the most expensive condos, nicest hotels, and the swankiest of stores.

I agree there's a need for affordable housing. I just don't think downtown is the place to do it.

$250,000 is hardly the big leagues. These days you can barely live in the North End for under $160,000.
Central Park? Main n Higgins?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 8:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

yeah, because gentrification is something we should strive for? why can't downtown be for everyone, including students, middle class, upper class, and everyone else?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 9:20 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wow wow otl

a real city has a mix of people in its downtown..............

anyhow who says we can't have residential on portage ave smack!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 9:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycles View Post
yeah, because gentrification is something we should strive for?
What's wrong with gentrification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycles View Post
why can't downtown be for everyone, including students, middle class, upper class, and everyone else?
Uh, because many of them can't afford to live there. You really didn't know that?!?!?!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 9:44 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

u miss understand what were going on about agg

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 1:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
What's wrong with gentrification?

Uh, because many of them can't afford to live there. You really didn't know that?!?!?!
err, do you know what forum you're on? your sense of entitlement is unfortunate.

Last edited by bicycles; Nov 22, 2010 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 2:42 AM
Back from the dead

Well if the city wanted to see more people living downtown it would ramp up its efforts to build middle-class housing . Downtown doesn't need "affordable housing" (since that's just a euphemism for 'instant ghetto) because we've already got plenty of "affordable" housing in the area already . On the other hand , the city has concentrated somewhat on higher income individuals . That's fine but they'll never form a significant proportion of the residents in the absence of a strong middle class component .

What we need are tax incentives for developers to build more Fort Garry Places . Oh , don't cringe , it's the idea , not the architectural end product (assuming it doesn't appeal to you) Obviously the developers (Crystal , Devonshire) are there and the market is also present . The question seems to be "What's the problem ?"

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 2:47 AM
BANNED

More rental suites downtown would go a long way and it is finacially viable. Procura in Edmonton is currently constructing this RENTAL building (well, it's acutally two 16 story buildings) on one of the most prominent intersections in downtown Edmonton. 5-10 of these buildings in downtown Winnipeg would do wonders for it.

source: google maps?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 4:03 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

omg! thats ugly!! puke no offence the residential is nice but so ugly blah

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 4:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
omg! thats ugly!! puke no offence the residential is nice but so ugly blah
haha obviously a little nicer design would be great, but the Mayfair is still a great example of what we should be working toward.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 4:39 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

It is pretty unlikely that any new rental buildings will be built here, there is not enough money to be made under Manitoba's rent controls.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 6:05 AM

A couple things...

That building in Edmonton is atrocious, please don't build that here.

Downtown does NOT need more "affordable" housing in a general sense, only student housing near UofW and RRC. As much as "affordable" housing sounds fantastic, that's not the demographic that will change downtown Winnipeg. Almost all apartment buildngs in downtown Wpg are "affordable" right now. That said, yes, there could be more cheaper apartment buildings built in certain areas.

As far as "middle-class" housing goes, Waterfront drive isn't too far off from that. It may seem more prestigious than other areas of downtown but when it comes down to it (taking into account the ballooning of the real estate market in Winnipeg over the last five or six years) it really isn't that expensive. It's just a matter of trading a big suburban yard and a few extra square feet for a prime, walkable, beautiful location. I hope the entirety of the East Exchange is filled with similar types of condos.

I like the idea of using Main st. as a division line and keeping the western exchange, around old market square, as rental units and more "affordable" housing. The exchange district is big enough to support different demographics and have different 'vibes', and considered the amount of art galleries and studio space in this area that currently exists, I think it would be a shame to try to change this. More than a shame, it would be a travesty. I'm involved in the arts community in Winnipeg and I can tell you there is LOTS happening in this area that should not be removed for condominium conversion. Both sides of the District have something good going for them; the Eastern Exchange is being gentrified which I think is fantastic, but I do think the western side of main street should be developed as a less glitzy and expensive destination and neighbourhood.

In the end, downtown Winnipeg has so much physical space to be developed that all types of developments and housing should be welcomed, it's just a matter of choosing the right place. Neighbourhoods and a sense of community is important even in urbanized areas and I just hope that whatever developments do take place over the next few years are thought-out and forward-thinking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan