HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 6:33 PM
BANNED

Very sad. Don't be preaching when...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^^ha ha. No problem!

I wish every commercial building downtown had a retail ground floor too. It’s not realistic but it would be great. Richardson’s need a lab. They spent more building downtown than the suburban option they looked at. I’m glad they did. I didnt have a realistic expectation that they would build and run retail in their lab. As great as that would be.
It's a nice distance from the Richardson HQ, too -- one long block, not connected underground, but still close enough that people can walk from 1 Portage over. Has the potential to bring a little bit of street action to that stretch of Lombard.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 6:53 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
It's a nice distance from the Richardson HQ, too -- one long block, not connected underground, but still close enough that people can walk from 1 Portage over. Has the potential to bring a little bit of street action to that stretch of Lombard.
I really don't understand how people could be critical of this development. When Winnipeg has filled up all of the surface lots only then can we complain about the types of projects being built. One more gravel lot filled by a building that creates sustainable jobs is ok by me. Anything is better than looking at that.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 7:55 PM

Well, you may have noticed that certain people like to naysay everything around here.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
^ Richardson's are sitting on a lot more money and property than just this one that they're doing nothing with...
They are a multi-billion dollar international company. I think they do stuff to make money. I can't argue with that. Within the confines of making a profit, they have done a ton for Winnipeg and the downtown.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 8:05 PM
BANNED

It is one thing to be a successful company, but it is another to sit on lots for 30 years, then talk about revitalization.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
It is one thing to be a successful company, but it is another to sit on lots for 30 years, then talk about revitalization.
I don't know if you work, or what sector you work in, but you seem ill-informed about how private companies work and motivate themselves. It's not uncommon to hold property for future development, in areas where there has traditionally been a lack of activity or demand. That said, Richardson's has built a skyscraper at the corner of portage and main, is a partner in the True North project going up, which is taking another surface lot, and now this. Profit-based based companies don't just do stuff to make you happy. This isn't rocket science.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 8:26 PM
BANNED

Oh please, what have they done for downtown since 1967? I am sure TNS would have proceeded without the Richardsons.

"We looked at other alternative sites but we agreed it would be inconsistent with our commitment to downtown."

Bitch please. Don't be looking down at all those empty barren lots and now spout revitalization. The fact is that this lot has been an eyesore for 30 years.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:00 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Oh please, what have they done for downtown since 1967? I am sure TNS would have proceeded without the Richardsons.
Employed 400+ people right at Portage and Main.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:06 PM
BANNED

What about GWL? We are not talking about day to day operations, and staffing but revitalization efforts. You think this measly lab is worth shouting from the rooftops? If they really had a passion for the downtown, that lot (and who knows what other land they own) would have been developed by now or sold. I had no idea they owned that land for so long.

I am impressed more by Artis, and I do not think we have seen the last of the projects the company has planned.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:08 PM
BANNED

-

Last edited by headhorse; Apr 5, 2018 at 11:29 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:

"We looked at other alternative sites but we agreed it would be inconsistent with our commitment to downtown."

Bitch please. Don't be looking down at all those empty barren lots and now spout revitalization. The fact is that this lot has been an eyesore for 30 years.
I've said what I have to say on this to you. I know what you are so I don't feel the need to add anything further. Best.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:16 PM
BANNED

And I know what you are...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
since 2012, the Richardson family has made over $3.5 billion. if they would have instead used $3 billion of that $3.5 billion to hire/pay employees, they could have paid 10 000 employees a salary of $60,000 a yr for the years 2012-2017. $30 million isn't very much to them..

i mean, would you rather have the benefits of the Richardson's being $3.5 billion richer and all the "benefits" that brings to portage and main, or 10 000 workers contributing to the local economy with a $60,000 yr income?
What magical land are you from?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:18 PM
BANNED

I know: why not give RRC $$$ to build its new facility?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:
since 2012, the Richardson family has made over $3.5 billion. if they would have instead used $3 billion of that $3.5 billion to hire/pay employees, they could have paid 10 000 employees a salary of $60,000 a yr for the years 2012-2017. $30 million isn't very much to them..

i mean, would you rather have the benefits of the Richardson's being $3.5 billion richer and all the "benefits" that brings to portage and main, or 10 000 workers contributing to the local economy with a $60,000 yr income?

Since when do we get to tell other people what to do with their property? It's one thing to critique design of buildings but the Richardsons' assets do not belong to us.

But in case you aren't convinced, let me just say it would do a lot for downtown if your paycheque were redirected to defraying the overhead costs of businesses operating in Portage Place. Can you PM me to pass along your banking details so I can get started on the arrangements?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Since when do we get to tell other people what to do with their property? It's one thing to critique design of buildings but the Richardsons' assets do not belong to us.

But in case you aren't convinced, let me just say it would do a lot for downtown if your paycheque were redirected to defraying the overhead costs of businesses operating in Portage Place. Can you PM me to pass along your banking details so I can get started on the arrangements?
I'm sure it would cover it, as those kinds of businesses do not have high overhead costs...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
If they really had a passion for the downtown, that lot (and who knows what other land they own) would have been developed by now or sold. I had no idea they owned that land for so long.
They wouldn't develop the lots unless they knew they could make a profit, businesses don't just develop stuff for the sake of developing stuff... Even if they had sold their lots what then? There's no proof that anybody else would have done anything

Is this a 25 story high-rise? No, and that's okay, not every project can be or has to be, that's just the way it works... It's a beautiful (imo) building that could just had easily gone in the suburbs or an industrial park... But the Richardsons felt downtown was the better choice and personally I applaud them for that

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:46 PM
BANNED

True, I think it is time to take a break from all the 25 story buildings being built in Winnipeg.

Richardson should just admit that then "we wanted to develop it sooner, but the conditions in Winnipeg are not conducive...". I would respect that more than the announcement he made.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:49 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

While we're at it we could collectivise downtown and make it illegal to object... utopia soon follows!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan