HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 9:25 PM

Corktown Plaza Redevelopment | 91m | 27 & 14 fl | Approved

Couldn't find a dedicated thread for this, so I thought I'd start one up. The developer is having a public meeting on May 24th where they'll be presenting some designs. Got this email with the info below:

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 11:27 PM

Cool. Hopefully this isn't swarmed by the usual suspects. Will attend.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 1:31 AM

it will be swarmed with the usual suspects....those of us who want investment, growth and redevelopment downtown must attend these meetings from now on.
City Hall will simply listen to the biggest whiners...there's no leaders at city hall. Let's be sure our voice is heard and NIMBY's don't keep us decades behind the rest of the world.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 2:59 PM

Damn I'm away that week. And I live really close by too, probably closer than some of the usual Corktown NIMBYs.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 1:49 PM

Corktown Commons. Love the name.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 2:15 PM

when was this from?
Love the concept on that map! Sadly I'm working tonight...hopefully some of you can attend...the NIMBY's won't care about park space, community gathering spots, destination plaza, proper urban streetwall etc.... all they see is the height boogeyman. It's exciting, yet frustrating to see legit urban mixed-use concepts like this and TV City finally being proposed in Hamilton, only to have our total absence of vision or leadership at city hall keep us in the dark ages.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:29 PM

That is from Slate's first public meeting this winter. They didn't show any finalized designs. Just site plan concepts for how the block will be laid out. I'll be going to the meeting tonight and will post pics afterwards

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 7:47 PM

Does anyone know if there is a data base to find the specific applications that are submitted to the city? Speculating on the development seems useless and it should be public information.

Adding to that the interactive map is lackluster, and city staff never answer.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if there is a data base to find the specific applications that are submitted to the city? Speculating on the development seems useless and it should be public information.

Adding to that the interactive map is lackluster, and city staff never answer.
The city does not digitize or publish files from development applications, and they don't make them available online. There are a few cases where the consultant or the planner acting on behalf of the developer has created an online portal with these documents, but that is on a case by case basis and depends on the level of engagement the developer is interested in. UrbanSolutions and Bousfields often do this.

If you want to review a specific application, you'll need to find the file number on the map, and visit the planning department at City Hall where you'll be assigned a meeting with a planner who will review the files with you. You'll only be able to view the paper copies during this time.

Ultimately I would like to see the interactive map be beefed up to the Toronto Dev App website level, where you're able to view all plans and studies that have been submitted for any project. We're getting there, and the map is a first step.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 9:13 PM

I completely agree, its pretty pathetic that a major city such as Hamilton doesn't have a better online presence. Its pretty far behind other citys of similar or even smaller sizes such as guelph and clairington in terms of informing the public.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
That is from Slate's first public meeting this winter. They didn't show any finalized designs. Just site plan concepts for how the block will be laid out. I'll be going to the meeting tonight and will post pics afterwards

great to hear....please speak up in favour of growth, density, a vibrant core, retail street wall etc.....
I'm working or I'd come

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 11:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

Two towers, both over 30 storey but under 35 I think. Rest of the area are buildings no more than 8 storeys.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Two towers, both over 30 storey but under 35 I think. Rest of the area are buildings no more than 8 storeys.
Do they have to get a variance to go over the 30 story limit?

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:15 AM

Apologies for the quality! The church was quite dim.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:25 AM

Quick facts re: this development

Architect is Core Architects
Landscape by Janet Rosenberg and Studio
Both towers are rentals
There are 4 smaller retail units facing John and Young, with one large one at the corner of John and Forest.
There is a mid block green pedestrian connection with rear access to lobbies & the retail units
Roughly 800 new units with 1 beds starting at 600 square feet.

Last edited by davidcappi; May 25, 2018 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 1:58 AM
It's Hammer Time

Corey Helie-Masters
https://twitter.com/CoreyHMasters

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:11 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

beautiful. This and Tv City would be a dream come true

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:20 AM

wow....finally some legit big city stuff proposed in the Hammer!
I concur with Realcity....this and TV City would launch us into the 21st Century. They would both fit in Vancouver or Toronto.
Hamilton's moment might be almost here....will city hall embrace the future, or cling to a low-rise, sprawling suburb as their 'vision'?

This project looks stellar in every way! I love the placement of buildings, love the design, love the greenway, the retail, the podiums etc.... just wonderful.

Those of you at the meeting, how was the vibe? NIMBY's galore? Or people excited for the future?

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:22 AM
Forever forward.

Absolutely gorgeous. Hamilton needs this.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:48 AM

It's embarrassing that I even need to do this, but I used the height of TV City at 31 and 34 floors to give us a ballpark of the height here at Corktown Plaza.

34 stories is 100 metres tall...the NE corner of this site sits at 102 metres. That gives us a total height of 202 metres.

31 stories is 91 metres tall. The SW corner of this site sits at 104 metres. That gives us a total height of 195 metres.

The escarpment directly south of here is 197 metres in height. So, the south tower here would be under, the north tower would be barely over.

All in all, a small concession for City Hall to make in exchange for community plaza space, rental units of decent size, great urban design, small and large format retail and new tax revenue, jobs in the heart of downtown.

There's actually a few spots at the end of Bulls Lane that are 198 metres... but 197 came back more often when moving the pin around the top of the escarpment south of John St:

https://elevationmap.net/6-bulls-ln-...87083903832041)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton