HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 11:04 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Independent certifier says Ottawa LRT has not yet met threshold for 'substantial completion'

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: May 15, 2019

An independent certifier agrees with the City of Ottawa that the $2.1-billion Confederation Line LRT project isn’t done construction, according to the city.

O-Train construction director Michael Morgan told council in a memo Wednesday afternoon that the certifier heard the city’s concerns about the Rideau Transit Group’s opinion that the project has reached “substantial completion.”

“Broadly, the (certifier) agrees with the city’s opinion that RTG has not achieved substantial completion and agrees that additional work is required,” Morgan wrote in the memo. “Despite this assessment, it is important to note that RTG has been continuing work on all areas in an effort to close out issues throughout the Confederation Line system.”

The certifier has recommended that the city meet with RTG about the outstanding work, the memo says, but Morgan doesn’t provide details about what exactly the certifier flagged.

RTG is required to provide a corrective action plan within five days, followed by a new date for substantial completion.

Earlier Wednesday, transportation general manager John Manconi said city lawyers and technical experts have been going over the certifier’s review.

“It’s a complicated process. We need to take our time. This is serious stuff,” Manconi said after a transit commission meeting.

City and RTG officials met Tuesday afternoon at city hall to discuss the certifer’s report.

“We’re aligned on the path forward,” Manconi said.

RTG submitted paperwork to the project’s independent certifier to decide if the project has reached substantial completion. The certifier had until late Monday afternoon to make a determination.

A substantially complete project would mean the LRT system is virtually ready for use. The declaration would allow RTG to begin the mandatory 12 days of full-system testing mimicking regular transit service. If, at the end of the 12 days, there were no major problems, the LRT system could be handed over to the city.

If the system isn’t substantially complete, RTG needs to provide a plan that addresses the unfinished work before applying again for a substantial completion designation, triggering another review by the certifier.

The city and RTG equally pay for the certifier. The independent certification services are provided by Altus Group.

The city has been largely concerned about the readiness of the Alstom Citadis Spirit trains. The problems, such as door jams and computer bugs, have been characterized as very fixable. Mayor Jim Watson has called the head of Alstom to emphasize to the French company the importance of getting the train work done.

There are 34 single vehicles in the Stage 1 fleet. Fifteen trains, each with two connected vehicles, will run during the peak service hours.

The 12.5-kilometre Confederation Line will run between Tunney’s Pasture and Blair Station via a downtown tunnel. All three levels of government are paying for the project, with city taxpayers paying the most.

The original revenue service availability date — in other words, the handover date to the city — was May 24, 2018. The project contract says the city has the right to terminate the agreement if completion is 365 days after the revenue service availability date.

After missing the May 2018 handover deadline, RTG proposed handover dates for Nov. 2, 2018, and March 31, 2019. The company missed both those handovers, too.

RTG has told they city that it can deliver the LRT system by the end of June.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...sion-wednesday

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 1:59 AM

I wonder if OC Transpo wants to bilingual brand it as the O-Train/Metr-O?
--Between build-and-run developers, budget-conscious planning departments, reactionary community associations and their city councillors, and the unaccountable OMB, we have more than enough bad actors sharing more than enough pathologies and perverse incentives.-David Reevely--

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
Their rationale was O-Train sounded like au train ("to the train") in French, but I think I like your idea better.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Ha, not bad!

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Very clever

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 12:54 PM

I doubt they'll go for it at this stage, they're really invested in O-Train as a name, and probably think that it's bilingual since 'train' works in both languages. But it just doesn't flow well, and culturally métro would work better since so many of us have spent time in Montréal.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 1:58 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

While OC* Transpo may not go with Métr-O, Gatineau can definitely take that name for its train (O for Outaouais). Gatineau transit’s called Société de Transports de l’Outaouais anyway.

* Why is it still called OC? Ottawa - Carleton isn’t a thing anymore. Sheesh.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
While OC* Transpo may not go with Métr-O, Gatineau can definitely take that name for its train (O for Outaouais). Gatineau transit’s called Société de Transports de l’Outaouais anyway.

* Why is it still called OC? Ottawa - Carleton isn’t a thing anymore. Sheesh.
OC could also stand for Ottawa, Canada but i think i remember the answer was that it would be to expensive to change the name so they just left it alone.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtrainUser View Post
OC could also stand for Ottawa, Canada but i think i remember the answer was that it would be to expensive to change the name so they just left it alone.
It's really time to move on from this ridiculous name.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 2:32 PM

Aside from the fact that the acronym OC is out of date, I've never been a fan of the "Transpo" but I get why its used, its bilingual, as opposed to the usual formulation of "[CityName] Transit" which only works in English.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 2:36 PM
Busy Beaver

With bilingual fusion, it could end up being "mētr⭕train"

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 2:49 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
With bilingual fusion, it could end up being "mētr⭕train"
How did you do the O like that? Also it should be “accent aigu” on the e.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtrainUser View Post
That was the main reason. It would be a big waste of taxpayer dollars for zero benefit to the public.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 3:28 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
How did you do the O like that? Also it should be “accent aigu” on the e.
Just cut and paste it and Robert's your mother's brother. The straight accent (macron) is supposed to make it neutral since there are no accents in English

When I was at Carleton, OC also meant "off-campus" as in, "I'm living OC" meant you weren't in res and had to take the bus in.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 3:48 PM

I haven't been paying super close attention today, but so far have seen both singles and doubles.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badyouken View Post
I haven't been paying super close attention today, but so far have seen both singles and doubles.
That's what I have been seeing

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 2:09 PM

Only doubles today so far, from what I can see.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:07 PM
R2-D2's army of death

You could have the logo spelled Metr-O-Train so it's perfectly bilingual, and ignorant anglophones can say "metrotrain."
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 5:09 PM

Seems like no testing at all today. Maybe they are shutting down foe the long weekend, given that they have to the through the paperwork cycle again

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 5:18 PM

A double passed over me at Bayview this morning not long after 8:30.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation