HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I completely disagree with you. The views that tourists and pedestrians take home with them are the views from the walkway behind Parliament, the Alexandra Bridge, Nepean Point, and more than any other the view from the Museum of History (Canada's most visited museum). Those are the iconic vantage points, not the view of the boring front from Colonel By next to the Westin. Not many tourists first approach it from there as you claim. Another iconic viewpoint is from Sappers Bridge above the locks, and the heatsink/shipping container will be highly visible from there as well. Here are a couple of recent pictures I took of the view that is threatened by this abomination.
Beautiful pictures, but from these angles the Westin actually seems more jarring than the new addition will be.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:44 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

I always wanted an addition that matched the existing building. We're not going to get that.

I absolutely hated the initial proposal(s) but I think I've decided that I'm ok with this. It took me a while to get to this point; now it's about execution.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Some private company cell tower I would guess.
looks temporary, possibly for Canada day demand.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Some private company cell tower I would guess.
Temporary cell site for Canada Day celebrations ?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qprcanada View Post
Temporary cell site for Canada Day celebrations ?
COWs (Cellsite on Wheels) are frequently brought in for major events to ensure service remains available. Regular towers will automatically shrink coverage to ditch some customers as they become overloaded.

This looks a bit beefier than a typical COW but similar in nature.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 12:15 AM

After a few weeks of looking at the design and some of the alternatives and rationales for something closer to the original, I like the proposal.

I like that it adds variety to the riverscape - there are already plenty of historic elements like Parliament and the rest of the hotel, there's also the 1950s/60s modern old city hall, the 60s/70s Global Affairs building, the 80s/90s National Gallery and Museum of History, and now something from the current day with this addition. I see why not everyone might like each style, but they all have their place. I agree with the comments above that it will obscure the original chateau from the river, but agree with the others that it isn't the be all and end all - this is a living and evolving riverscape in a living and evolving city, not one frozen in time. The original chateau remains the dominant element up the canal, and of course from Sussex as well.

I've only ever stayed at the Chateau Laurier twice, and now that I live here I probably won't ever again, but I see why the modern style is what Fairmont wants to offer its guests in a new build. The windows in the new wing will be much larger, there are now broad expanses of glass with panoramic views of Parliament and the river (I assume those upper floors will be event/banquet space), the floor heights seem to be much taller, etc. (I also assume they did their market analysis on this - that guests will want to have a choice of this versus the older rooms. Personally I prefer the historic ambience inside and out - I decline upgrades to the newer wing at the Banff Springs in favour of the original, for example.)

I can't picture how these could have been possible using a design closer to the existing structure - if anything, it would have even been more jarring and inauthentic to have a chateau-esque form with peaked roofs and thick stone walls trying to accommodate the same window sizes and floor spacing. I also see that they've compromised a lot already by reducing the overall size of the addition and cutting the number of rooms (from almost 300 to about 150, if I remember correctly).

The critical factor will be the execution - the materials, quality, attention to detail, etc will make or break it. I think this has already been addressed in the Council's specific instructions (use of limestone, etc). Hopefully the level of attention so far will keep Fairmont and the builders on track.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:35 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NCC doesn't have design approval power on Château Laurier addition, Nussbaum says

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: June 20, 2019

Don’t expect the National Capital Commission to get involved in the Château Laurier design controversy.

“The NCC has been clear since Day 1 that because it is a property that is owned privately, the National Capital Act does not apply in terms of the design approval process that the NCC has for federal lands,” NCC CEO Tobi Nussbaum said Thursday.

“It’s the only privately owned property on the interior of Confederation Boulevard, so it is unique in that way.”

The City of Ottawa has approved a heritage permit and site plan for the hotel addition proposed by Larco Investments, which owns the Château Laurier. Larco received the heritage permit last July, giving the company the authority to pursue its boxy design for the seven-storey expansion. The heritage hotel won’t be altered.

Nussbaum was the chair of the city’s built-heritage subcommittee when he was a city councillor. He was the architect of a motion, which was unanimously approved by council in June 2018, giving conditional approval to the heritage permit and assigning city staff the authority to sign off on the remaining design tweaks. Staff have consented to the final design iteration.

The city continues to hear from people who oppose the design of the addition and who want the NCC to step in.

However, the NCC says the design of a private property doesn’t fall under its approval mandate.

Nussbaum said the NCC will talk with Larco about the landscape between the addition and Major’s Hill Park and on the access points along the canal terraces.

“There are a number of important public integration elements which will be discussed between us and the hotel owner,” he said.

Nussbaum, who joined the NCC in February, wouldn’t say what he personally thinks about the design for the hotel addition.

“What is important here is the NCC has always said this is an important municipal process,” Nussbaum said.

“I took off my councillor hat and put on an NCC hat, so I’m not going to comment personally on what my views are.”

Parks Canada, which oversees the Rideau Canal and is the keeper of standards and guidelines for historic places, hasn’t raised concerns about the latest hotel design.

Coun. Mathieu Fleury has said he’ll ask council to vote on rescinding the heritage permit. Councillors have heard that cancelling the permit could land the city in court.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-nussbaum-says

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 7:59 PM

courtesy of twitter's @ottaross:

Fresh off their success with #ChateauLaurier expansion planning, the visionary architects off to take over Parliament Hill renovations. Inspiring!

I think the picture makes a fine statement all by itself:

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
courtesy of twitter's @ottaross:

Fresh off their success with #ChateauLaurier expansion planning, the visionary architects off to take over Parliament Hill renovations. Inspiring!

I think the picture makes a fine statement all by itself:

Well, they used copper, very respectful!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Here are a few different angles that haven't been posted here yet:

http://chateauvision.ca/en/home/
Never saw the war memorial and parliament angles before. It's actually worse than I thought (and I thought it was a terrible addition).

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:01 PM

Looks like a jail attached the chateau laurier... as for touching Parliament hill.. hell no!!!!!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 2:31 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

If the NCC can't improve the Château addition, why have an NCC?

Kelly Egan, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: June 21, 2019

A neighbour asked a good question the other day.

If the National Capital Commission can’t influence the design of the Château Laurier addition, can’t better co-ordinate repair work on five interprovincial bridges, can’t lead the overhaul of the Prince of Wales bridge to better integrate Ottawa-Gatineau transit, can’t get LeBreton straight, what is the NCC for?

Bit of an existential zinger, that one.

The new CEO of the Crown corporation, Tobi Nussbaum, said Thursday the NCC couldn’t get involved in the unpopular proposal to expand the 1912 hotel because it was private property and beyond the reach of the National Capital Act, its enabling legislation.

Nussbaum is a Harvard man, so he doesn’t lack for smarts, but that answer was pretty rich.

We shan’t dwell on the old NCC plan to bulldoze blocks of Metcalfe Street in a vainglorious attempt at grandiosity, or the plan to pave some principal streets a red colour in a vainglorious attempt at Crayola-coding for tourists. (Try to find those in the Act.)

Let us look at what the NCC itself has said about the Château, the iconic hotel that is part of our postcard.

Under “policies” of the NCC’s Capital Core Area Sector Plan, is this gem: “Preserve the historic character of the Château Laurier Hotel and the Government Conference Centre building (formerly Ottawa Union Station), key buildings in the Core Area.”

The public are hardly architectural experts, but, when the mayor of Ottawa’s reference to a “shipping container” is the most resonant to describe the addition, we can assume we’ve missed the mark on historic preservation of a grand hotel from the Titanic era.

Nussbaum wants to use the National Capital Act as a shield? Fine. Here’s an excerpt:

“The objects and purposes of the Commission are to prepare plans for and assist in the development, conservation and improvement of the National Capital Region in order that the nature and character of the seat of the Government of Canada may be in accordance with its national significance.”

I’m no Ivy Leaguer, but that description seems to give the NCC a great deal of latitude, as it should. “Don’t wreck beautiful historic things” seems to be the essential message.

The NCC has lots of committees, one of them called the “Advisory Committee on Planning, Design and Realty.”

One of its jobs? Advising on “design proposals affecting federal lands.” Doesn’t a seven-storey addition to the rear of the Château “affect” the 12 acres in Major’s Hill, the NCC-held park that is the city’s oldest and most historic? Affect it? It touches it.

“This park features some of the best lookouts in Ottawa, offering stunning views of the Ottawa Locks on the Rideau Canal, the Ottawa River and the Parliament Buildings,” the NCC writes. “Take a stroll through the park’s stately trees, over its rolling lawns and winding pathways, and learn about its history through a series of interpretation panels.”

“Stunning views.” Well, people are stunned viewing this plan, no argument there.

Does the addition not “affect” the NCC’s Confederation Boulevard, which takes in a good chunk of Sussex Drive and Mackenzie Avenue, which runs right by the proposed add-on? How could it not?

And yet the NCC wants no part in the design approval process. But try to set up a lemonade stand along the Rideau Canal or pick up pine cones on the parkway and they’re calling the cops.

So this is the point: The NCC sticks its nose into issues in the public realm whenever it feels sufficiently compelled. Today, it needs to summon the courage of its convictions. You either want Ottawa to be a better capital or you don’t. Hello, leadership?

It may well be true the NCC has no legal authority over a design-build proposed by a private landowner. Fine. But can’t the commission approach Larco Investments in a spirit of co-operation to suggest the public good would be served by having another attempt at this?

Shouldn’t Mayor Jim Watson and Nussbaum do this together? Beg Larco if you have to. Bad is bad forever.

Instead, the NCC is fiddle-farting around with how the bigger hotel will integrate its landscaping with Major’s Hill and the canal terraces. “Pedestrian vibrancy and connectivity through and around the hotel,” is on the commission’s job list, along with the “interface” with the new building.

Nussbaum, meanwhile, wouldn’t even say if he liked the design, as though being super-careful was a virtue. (Jean Pigott, somewhere, just died a second death.)

Integrate paths and sidewalks. Is this, good God, all the NCC is there for?

To contact Kelly Egan, please call 613-726-5896 or email kegan@postmedia.com
Twitter.com/kellyegancolumn

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...hy-have-an-ncc

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveat.doctor View Post
....I can't picture how these could have been possible using a design closer to the existing structure - if anything, it would have even been more jarring and inauthentic to have a chateau-esque form with peaked roofs and thick stone walls trying to accommodate the same window sizes and floor spacing. I also see that they've compromised a lot already by reducing the overall size of the addition and cutting the number of rooms (from almost 300 to about 150, if I remember correctly).

The critical factor will be the execution - the materials, quality, attention to detail, etc will make or break it. I think this has already been addressed in the Council's specific instructions (use of limestone, etc). Hopefully the level of attention so far will keep Fairmont and the builders on track.
I think most people are asking for quality architecture, something that flows and speaks to the original. It doesn't have to perfectly match it or 'carbon copy' it, it just has to be something other than a god damned 1950's international style office building/computer heatsink/shipping container that rudely juxtaposes the original. Look at the NAC across the canal. Quality architecture can meld the old and the new flawlessly if the effort is spent.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 11:08 AM

This addition is crap. It would be acceptable in an office park. This is not architecture worthy of its placement. We can do better.

If anyone, and I mean anyone, was actually excited to see this built, it.woukd be one thing. It's merely tolerable. And that is not good enough.
--Between build-and-run developers, budget-conscious planning departments, reactionary community associations and their city councillors, and the unaccountable OMB, we have more than enough bad actors sharing more than enough pathologies and perverse incentives.-David Reevely--

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 2:11 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I think most people are asking for quality architecture, something that flows and speaks to the original. It doesn't have to perfectly match it or 'carbon copy' it, it just has to be something other than a god damned 1950's international style office building/computer heatsink/shipping container that rudely juxtaposes the original. Look at the NAC across the canal. Quality architecture can meld the old and the new flawlessly if the effort is spent.
Exactly! The Supreme Court isn't in the same style as the rest of the parliamentary precinct, but it definitely takes cues so as to better integrate itself to the skyline. The National Gallery is a great example of late 80s architecture that has aged magnificently; almost timelessly. The NAC gave a modern glass-laden update that is so awesome most people I know have wondered "why didn't they do this sooner?" The Museum of History in Gatineau is also a late 80s marvel still beloved by many.

All these buildings have unique, bold styles. You're telling me a fucking box was the best someone could come up with for an extension in such an iconic area?
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 2:47 PM

Just do the extension in the same style as the other extensions that the hotel has done. Why do they need to make this particular extension different? Every single proposal has been so jarring

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 3:22 PM

z

Last edited by eltodesukane; Aug 8, 2019 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
This addition is crap. It would be acceptable in an office park. This is not architecture worthy of its placement. We can do better.

If anyone, and I mean anyone, was actually excited to see this built, it.woukd be one thing. It's merely tolerable. And that is not good enough.
I agree! To my eyes, the addition appears to be owned by a separate corporate entity, nothing to do with the Chateau hotel. The architectural aesthetics are too separated between the addition and the hotel, making them appear like they serve two different functions, ie: the Chateau is a hotel and the addition is some sort of bland or blah-looking trade school for the homeless.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 1:25 PM

[QUOTE=eltodesukane;8613234]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
If the NCC can't improve the Château addition, why have an NCC?

Updated: June 21, 2019

If the NCC can't improve the Lebreton Flats, why have an NCC?
Not much accomplished in the Lebreton Flats by the NCC in the last 50 years.
The NCC just keep on blocking what could have been done already, while waiting for the absolute perfect project which may never come.
Just like waiting forever for the perfect date, you end up 93 years old still waiting.
the sad irony for me is how successful the NCC has been in capping building heights all over downtown-through their policies and guidelines, resulting in a really ugly skyline and so much ugly boxy architecture. But they seemingly have no say at preventing this eyesore on major hills park.

These days are not the best for the NCC, that is for sure.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 11:50 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The secretive billionaires behind the Château addition

Updated: June 27, 2019

Developer Amin Lalji of the Larco Group.

We don’t know much about the real people behind the Château Laurier addition. And we likely never will.

Larco Investments bought the historic property in 2013 through one of its many related companies, subsidiary Capital Hotel L.P., but continues to lease day-to-day operations to the Fairmont chain.

Just what is Larco Investments? Something of a mystery — a private company owned by the intensely private Lalji family from Vancouver. They don’t give interviews, period, aren’t keen on photographs, but they have a track record in hotel ownership, real estate development, and offshore tax havens.

And they’re wealthy, to the point that a Vancouver business magazine in 2018 put their net worth at $3.07 billion, fourth-highest in the province.

According to a Globe and Mail investigation titled The Hermit Kings, the main family players are three brothers, Aminmohamed (often called Amin), Mansoor and Shiraz. Originally from Uganda, they fled in the 1970s when tyrant Idi Amin tossed 50,000 Asians out of the country.

And didn’t they get busy, acquiring a staggering amount of real estate, starting in the Lower Mainland. According to a Larco website, they acquired the Vancouver Airport Marriott in 1998, the SkyDome Hotel in 1999 and now have about 10 hotel properties. That’s just a start. They have posh malls, office buildings, storage centres and lots more. (A Postmedia researcher ran their names through a property database in B.C. and came up with 476 parcels in that province alone.)

This is not their first foray into big Ottawa real estate.

In 2007, Amin Lalji, described as the “principal” at Larco, was photographed with the Harper-era Public Works minister, Michael Fortier, sealing a massive sale and leaseback deal of seven federal office buildings.

Larco paid $1.64 billion for the seven, including two in Ottawa, in exchange for leasing the buildings back to the feds for at least 25 years.

While politicians crowed about the wisdom of extracting billions out of bricks and mortar, an awkward perception developed in 2016 with the release of the so-called Panama Papers. Several media outlets reported that Larco — ironically now a landlord of the Canada Revenue Agency — had legally moved hundreds of millions of dollars into tax havens via the British Virgin Islands and private foundations in Liechtenstein.

Michelle Travis is a researcher with Unite Here Canada, a union that represents more than 20,000 workers in the hotel and hospitality industry, including in some Larco properties. She produced a report, Hide and Seek, about Larco’s Panama-revealed financial dealings, including legally using offshore accounts as tax shelters.

“We’ve just found them difficult to deal with” as an employer, she said. As a developer, the Vancouver resident says Larco does what’s best for Larco, goals that can be at odds with community wishes.

“I think if you give them an inch, they’ll drive a tractor through it. ”

The Lalji family, she said, is not particularly visible on their own hotel properties, nor did she have any success in reaching them for her report.

“They don’t seem interested in engaging publicly at all.”

They are not absentee developers, says Dennis Jacobs, the Ottawa consultant hired to manage the Château addition. He said Amin Lalji is updated daily on the progress on the file and word is he has visited the Château often. (Though Jacobs has yet to meet him.)

“They are very much aware of what is going on.”

Larco is aware of a “noisy minority” that doesn’t like the proposed design, said Jacobs, but has done everything city councillors and the planning department has required in the past three-and-a-half years, including using a top architect and making changes suggested by the city’s expert panels.

For instance, he said the addition has shrunk from 12 storeys to seven, and from 214 rooms to 147, probably against Larco’s economic interests. The plan is to use only superior materials and craftsmanship in a $100-million build that will also add 361 parking spaces.

“You’d have to give us a reason why we need to change,” said Jacobs, above the frequent sniping about the boxy design.

“They know what the Château is and they want to ensure that what they’re producing is going to maintain that high standard.”

He also said Larco is invested in Ottawa for the long-term and recognizes the Château as a jewel in its portfolio.

The union’s Travis, meanwhile, has another suggestion.

“I think it would be interesting if the city were to call Amin Lalji and say look, here are the concerns from the community, how are you going to respond to this? Are you going to make sure the community is heard.”

Rest assured, history tells us, that ain’t happening. Glad-handing with commoners is not the work of Hermit Kings.

To contact Kelly Egan, please call 613-726-5896 or email kegan@postmedia.com.
Twitter.com/kellyegancolumn

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ateau-addition

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa