HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The whole point is that the cherries exist to be picked. But we’re not allowed to mention that fact in case it gives comfort to the wicked climate heretics. That’s a religious way of thinking, not a scientific one, as I understand those terms.
Try and find somewhere where the facts have been denied by those in this thread that support reducing emissions. Good luck.

On the other side though, that's exactly what happens. They'll deny all the science that says climate change is linked to CO2, and is probably bad, but as soon as they see some science that supports their predetermined viewpoint, they believe it.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 5:28 PM

Quote:
The whole point is that the cherries exist to be picked. But we’re not allowed to mention that fact in case it gives comfort to the wicked climate heretics. That’s a religious way of thinking, not a scientific one, as I understand those terms.
Sure. There will be a lot of change in the world at various levels of climate change. Are you proposing anything specific?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I've never had a car. Only even driven a handful of times
This literally blows my mind. Day I turned 16 I was at the registries taking my driving test to get my license. Driving always makes me feel good, very much one of my favourite activities.

Even contemplated becoming a transport truck driver I love driving so much.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
This literally blows my mind. Day I turned 16 I was at the registries taking my driving test to get my license. Driving always makes me feel good, very much one of my favourite activities.

Even contemplated becoming a transport truck driver I love driving so much.
Young people these days don't care about it the way they used to. I mean, of course there are probably still people who take their tests on the day of their 16th birthday, but it amazes me how many teenagers don't even bother. Even in a place like Winnipeg where being without a car can be a hassle, there are a lot who don't drive.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 6:25 PM

I think Chad is roughly the same age as myself, I’m 37.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 6:33 PM

I got my license as soon as I could and I've had a car ever since I was 17 with a short hiatus when I had a motorcycle only for a few years.

I live in a very urban environment with a million different options to get around and don't need a car at all (though it can be tricky with a young family).

We still have a car, but I'm under no illusion as to the environmental impact (it's an EV), and the cost we pay to maintain this convenience (high).

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 6:59 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
I think Chad is roughly the same age as myself, I’m 37.
Lol I talk about how I'm in university (in my undergrad) fairly often. I'm old to be doing an undergrad, but I'm nowhere near your age. I'm 28.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 7:48 PM

First time I attended post secondary education I had a guy who was 57 in my class and it wasn’t trade school! So you just never know.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
And the Cherries will be bigger and juicier!

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 9:02 PM

Vancouver Protest

Quote:
Climate change protesters shut down Burrard Bridge, but cause little disruption

Dozens of protesters blocked vehicles from the Burrard Street Bridge on Monday as part of a protest staged by an international group concerned about climate change.

The protest organized by the U.K.-based group Extinction Rebellion coincided with similar events across Canada, including in Victoria, and in other countries.

Vancouver police set up roadblocks on Burrard Street and Cornwall Avenue and officers diverted cars and city buses to the Granville Street Bridge.

The protest started around 9:15 a.m. and didn’t disrupt the morning commute, VPD spokesman Sgt. Aaron Roed said in an email.

At noon, there were about 200 people on the bridge. Roed said the protest was expected to affect afternoon rush hour on the bridge that connects the West Side to downtown, and had asked motorists to avoid the area.

Protesters were arrested at similar blockades in Sydney, Australia, Amsterdam, Halifax, Toronto, New York, and London.

As of mid-afternoon, VPD had made no arrests.

“We will have a visible presence to keep the peace, provide a safe environment, and limit any negative impact on the general public,” said Roed. “The safety of those attending the function, the general public and police is our top priority.”

Full article here: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/vancouve...disruption/amp

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 9:21 PM
ARTchitecture

Similar story in Calgary on Monday. Protesters blocked the Louise Bridge, one of only 4 northbound routes out of downtown, and handed out timbits when they let traffic through every 15 minutes Love this city

Here's a photo from the global student walkout the other Friday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...math-1.5301600

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 3:07 AM

We were talking about ignorance, well here's some (from article in the previous post):

Quote:
According to their website, Plastic Free YYC is a grassroots group that has launched several environmental challenges in the city, including campaigns to limit or eliminate straws at bars and restaurants, as well as a municipal push to ban plastic bags in the city.

Coutour says the group's goal is to promote the idea of getting the public to use reusable items and saying no altogether to plastic items.

"Engage everyone in the conversation because we truly believe everyone has a role to play in finding solutions to the global climate crisis," Couture said.
Reducing plastic has nothing to do with climate change, you fucktard! Other than possibly to use more energy, making the problem ever so slightly worse. Get out of the way.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:50 PM

Saw this video the other day and I thought it was presented quite well.
Video Link

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 7:20 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
I've seen Chris speak, I think he puts things very well. The speech I saw him present is the one below in the link, it is also very much worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raMwTUjB224

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 2:44 PM

So great to see The Rebel Media stalk and harass a 16 year old girl in an Edmonton hotel hallway yesterday.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 2:52 PM

I really hope this pro pipeline counter protest in Edmonton isn't too embarrassing. That will be the only impression of Alberta most people will see globally.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
So great to see The Rebel Media stalk and harass a 16 year old girl in an Edmonton hotel hallway yesterday.
Same guy that Jagmeet addressed after the leaders debate. These losers really get around.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Now that Obama has chimed in, maybe she can publicly beg Canadians to not reelect our tarsands-pipeline-buying previous PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 4:12 PM

When I read through this report I could only ask myself, why have we not been pushing the narrative of using the O&G tech to diversify the economy.

I know of 3 projects using the O&G tech but it is not getting any traction in the media. And the Few heavy hitters in the O&G sector are not being listened to.

Its also interesting that this was not picked up by a federal party.

Kenny wants to "Help" the O7G sector. well its right here.

https://www.futureenergysystems.ca/p...ocuments/70217

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I really hope this pro pipeline counter protest in Edmonton isn't too embarrassing. That will be the only impression of Alberta most people will see globally.
Yep:

...But the potential for clashing ideals at the rally could portray Alberta in a less-than-flattering light, said Duane Bratt, a political scientist at Calgary's Mount Royal University.

"I'm just trying to visualize thousands of teenagers led by Greta Thunberg, and many others, and then all of a sudden you've got this large convoy of rigs honking their horns, screaming at them," Bratt told CBC News on Friday morning.

"It just doesn't look good. It looks like a bunch of middle-aged men in big rigs screaming at kids," Bratt said...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ally-1.5325030

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada