HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 4:47 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I was on a different website today and found out that the US TSA has a program to allow visitors at select airports to be able to go thru the screening lines and either see people off or meet them in the secure air side locations or eat and shop in the secure areas.

Detroit Metro Airport is looking at doing it and SEATAC had a pilot program in 2018 and Tampa International does it every Saturday from 0800 to 2000. Tampa markets it as you can eat at food places on the secure side or shop at the speciality stores.

I'm wondering does anybody know if CATSA allows this at any major airport in Canada?
It's funny to think back before there was security and people just came and waited with you like it was a bus terminal. Then the "take me to Cuba" hijackings started and that innocent world came to an end. The thing I never understood is why they don't board from both ends like they used to do way back then, before the skywalks. I guess it's expensive but the time savings would be so big.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 5:01 PM

^ I haven't measured it with a stopwatch or anything, but my impression is that boarding via two sets of stairs as is common in small sun destinations is not really any faster than just using the jet bridges. Or at least I've never walked away with the impression that doing it that way was noticeably faster...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 9:28 PM

^^ The biggest problem with jet bridge boarding times is all the premium seating is at the front of the plane and those people get preferred boarding access (ie on the plane first). Pretty sure there are studies which say if you load the plane starting with the furthest from the entrance (ie the back with a jet bridge) to the front it has the quickest boarding time. The reason is you can get a good number of people into the plane and you aren't waiting for row 20 to get past row 6 that is slowing the boarding process while putting their stuff into overhead bins.

From dual door loading to work quicker you still need to load passengers in order but from the middle of the plane towards both doors. The challenge is those boarding scenarios either are busing people to the plane (common in Europe) or have people walking on the tarmac from the terminal. Both systems make it near impossible to keep passengers in a sequence.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ From dual door loading to work quicker you still need to load passengers in order but from the middle of the plane towards both doors. The challenge is those boarding scenarios either are busing people to the plane (common in Europe) or have people walking on the tarmac from the terminal. Both systems make it near impossible to keep passengers in a sequence.
Interesting summary. WS tried dual door boarding at YVR for a short time. They had the airport authority pay a mint to install special gates that could reach over the 737's wing to the back door, but they only used them for a very short period. Not sure why the idea never took.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:50 AM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Pretty sure there are studies which say if you load the plane starting with the furthest from the entrance (ie the back with a jet bridge) to the front it has the quickest boarding time.
https://www.vox.com/2014/4/25/564769...utely-no-sense

Quote:
Most US airlines follow the same procedure for allowing non-first-class passengers to board a plane. They let people who are sitting in the back board first, then people in the next few rows, gradually working their way toward the front.

This procedure makes absolutely no sense.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie View Post
Interesting summary. WS tried dual door boarding at YVR for a short time. They had the airport authority pay a mint to install special gates that could reach over the 737's wing to the back door, but they only used them for a very short period. Not sure why the idea never took.
Strange that they'd even bother for single seating class 737s...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 5:47 PM

I always thought you would want to board as late as possible to minimize the amount of time in the seat. Why wouldn't premium classes want to board last?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 5:55 PM

Storing your carry-on bag in the overhead bin.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:27 PM

I rarely bring carry-on, so I forgot about that. But even then, it's just a 5-10 minute wait for them to bring it to the jetway (if it doesn't fit in the plane at the time of boarding). I'm still gonna call it irrational behaviour.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:20 PM

You gate check when you’re flying a smaller aircraft, I.e. CRJ or DH4. If there’s no space up top on a larger plane (A320), it gets checked to your final destination, or (horror!) put underneath the seat. When I’m flying for business I don’t want to risk them misplacing my luggage, especially international and short stays.

Fair point about not wanting to spend more time than necessary in a small metal tube, but gate area is often even more chaotic. Many premium flyers try to move through as quickly as possible.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
Storing your carry-on bag in the overhead bin.
^^ Premium seats normally have reserved overhead bin space that is exclusively used for premium seats. So those passengers having to board first to secure bin space is irrelevant as they have a privilege of having their overhead bin space secured at the time of booking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
If there’s no space up top on a larger plane (A320), it gets checked to your final destination, or (horror!) put underneath the seat.
If you are travelling with a carry on bag with things like your medications, which you cannot afford to have "misplaced" in the luggage hold and you also have a personal item such as a laptop bag, there is no space under the seat for that carry-on item. That is without even getting into how many planes have large stacks under some seats now for things like in seat power and entertainment that even if you only have on larger item a lot of time it would still no fit under the seat.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 7:00 PM

[QUOTE=CoryB;8748473]^^ Premium seats normally have reserved overhead bin space that is exclusively used for premium seats. So those passengers having to board first to secure bin space is irrelevant as they have a privilege of having their overhead bin space secured at the time of booking.

Not necessarily. FA bags and emergency equipment often take up overhead space. The average premium flyer carries more with them than average flyer as per above. If you arrive late you may get room in the closet.

If you are travelling with a carry on bag with things like your medications, which you cannot afford to have "misplaced" in the luggage hold and you also have a personal item such as a laptop bag, there is no space under the seat for that carry-on item. That is without even getting into how many planes have large stacks under some seats now for things like in seat power and entertainment that even if you only have on larger item a lot of time it would still no fit under the seat.[/QUOTE

Many travel with a legal roller board and a personal bag. I often do this even on international trips < 1 week in duration. Can’t afford delayed or misplaced luggage.

Much more on this irrational behaviour at FlyerTalk.com, Air Canada thread.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 4:10 AM
BANNED

Edmonton getting a non-stop German flight, Halifax getting a non-stop China flight, Quebec City and Hamilton having non-stop European flights, and Winnipeg.............. losing our only non-stop flight outside of North America.

I'm pretty dissapointed to see all other major cities grow their air service while we continue to stagnate. It's also dissapointing to see Winnipeggers congratulating those cities in achieving those flights whilst at the same time remaining content with service here and proclaiming we will never get more international service beyond the US or Caribbean. It's the typical Loserpegger attitude we display amongst eachother and to the rest of the world. We as a city are truly lame, and it's embarrasing. I reckon I'm starting to see the light that people told me I should have seen years ago. Loserpeg is probably the most appropriate term for this city that's out there; it speaks the truth.

So enthused to talk about crime, potholes and mosquitoes. How exciting. So proud.

End rant.

Last edited by Pinus; Dec 10, 2019 at 12:24 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 2:23 PM
What could go wrong?

See you later!
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 3:39 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Edmonton getting a non-stop German flight, Halifax getting a non-stop China flight, Quebec City and Hamilton having non-stop European flights, and Winnipeg.............. losing our only non-stop flight outside of North America.

I'm pretty dissapointed to see all other major cities grow their air service while we continue to stagnate. It's also dissapointing to see Winnipeggers congratulating those cities in achieving those flights whilst at the same time remaining content with service here and proclaiming we will never get more international service beyond the US or Caribbean. It's the typical Loserpegger attitude we display amongst eachother and to the rest of the world. We as a city are truly lame, and it's embarrasing. I reckon I'm starting to see the light that people told me I should have seen years ago. Loserpeg is probably the most appropriate term for this city that's out there; it speaks the truth.

So enthused to talk about crime, potholes and mosquitoes. How exciting. So proud.

End rant.
Halifax isn’t getting a flight to China - the Nova Scotia government is paying to subsidize two charter tourist flights. I guess we could waste our money on that too?

Winnipeg is a victim of geography. Our mid continent location makes most long haul flights unworkable given our relatively low population and incomes. It’s nothing to get upset about.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Winnipeg is a victim of geography. Our mid continent location makes most long haul flights unworkable given our relatively low population and incomes. It’s nothing to get upset about.
It has to be population/incomes that are the bigger deal as opposed to distance... it's not really much farther to Europe and Asia from here than from other Canadian cities.

Take Frankfurt, for example:

YYZ-FRA 3,953 mi
YVR-FRA 5,025 mi
YEG-FRA 4,559 mi
YWG-FRA 4,278 mi
YHZ-FRA 3,263 mi

Or Shanghai:

YYZ-PVG 7,107 mi
YVR-PVG 5,615 mi
YEG-PVG 5,739 mi
YWG-PVG 6,361 mi
YHZ-PVG 7,188 mi

But yeah, of all the things I would like to see WAA spend its money on, subsidizing flights to Europe and Asia is not on the list.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 4:22 PM

I heard (unconfirmed) the YWG-LGW route was heavily propped up by people coming from connecting flights. I would guess there was analysis done on local market v non-local market on those flights and it made more sense to move them to a different location.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
I heard (unconfirmed) the YWG-LGW route was heavily propped up by people coming from connecting flights. I would guess there was analysis done on local market v non-local market on those flights and it made more sense to move them to a different location.
Who would really be the people from outside the Winnipeg region to prop it up? People from Sask are the only possible group that comes to mind, but to them it's probably much more convenient to connect through YYC where there are more destinations and departures.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:08 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Who would really be the people from outside the Winnipeg region to prop it up? People from Sask are the only possible group that comes to mind, but to them it's probably much more convenient to connect through YYC where there are more destinations and departures.
The algorithm on the booking system would work to fill the seats from the Winnipeg flight if they weren't being filled naturally. That might mean connecting people from even Calgary through Winnipeg at lower prices.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:27 PM

I'm not terribly disappointed with the loss of the YWG-LGW. I guess there's the loss of bragging rights - hey, we have a direct flight to Europe! But actually, I was never able to use it. To be honest, I'd rather have some better connections to North American hubs like LAX, LGA and ATL. Heck, I'd make more use of a direct seasonal flight to HNL than to Europe or Asia.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan