HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 1:35 PM

[Grimsby] new West Lincoln Memorial Hospital | ?|

ELLISDON TEAM SELECTED AS PREFERRED PROPONENT TO BUILD NEW WEST LINCOLN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL

https://www.hamiltonhealthsciences.c...n-to-buid-wlmh

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 1:43 PM

great news. A great amenity for Grimsby and eastern Stoney Creek.

Juravanski is gearing up for a massive rebuild and expansion as well I believe, though that is still a few years away.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 2:10 PM
Ham-burgher

I also wonder how far along the planning is for the general's "campus"... they were talking about a new women's/children's hospital on that site, renovating the existing building, and St. Peter's facilities moving to Juravinski.

From 4 years ago: https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...ep-closer.html

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 2:15 PM

Infrastructure Ontario's January 2022 market update lists the Juravanski Hospital redevelopment as a >$1 billion project, with the RFQ issued in fall 2023, RFP issued spring 2024, and contract execution (where the West Lincoln Hospital is now, the start of construction) in Spring 2025.

https://www.infrastructureontario.ca...Chart%20EN.pdf

So still 3 years from construction, but as a >$1 billion project, it will be a massive hospital rebuild. I'm really interested to see the exact scope.

For scale, Ottawa's new Civic Hospital is listed as a >$2 billion project, but that hospital is.. well.. massive:

The other ">$1b" project is the new Windsor hospital:

I imagine Juravanski will involve the demolition of the oldest hospital wings on the site and the construction of a large new patient tower on the west side of the site.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2022, 5:16 PM
It's Hammer Time

I know for Juravanski it included a large cancer research tower. Kind of like Juravanski's version of the General hospital's David Braley Cardiac, Vascular and Stroke Research Institute.

5 things to know about Phase 2 plans by Hamilton Health Sciences for the Juravinski Hospital
https://www.hamiltonnews.com/communi...nski-hospital/

Last edited by SteelTown; Mar 9, 2022 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 1:03 PM
Ham-burgher

The parking garage and lot on the west side offer a lot of space for expansion too.

I wish to see something eventually replace/incorporate the garage and parking lot south of Concession. And Juravinski could use a long-term stay facility nearby... it's too bad there isn't something like a Ronald McDonald house close to the hospital, but for families of cancer patients.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 11:36 PM
Burger Connoisseur

When will Grimsby get absorbed into the city of Hamilton? They share way more connection to our city than Niagara hell their hospital is Hamilton Health Sciences! Winona and Grimsby will soon look like one big suburb the way they are growing towards each other.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
When will Grimsby get absorbed into the city of Hamilton? They share way more connection to our city than Niagara hell their hospital is Hamilton Health Sciences! Winona and Grimsby will soon look like one big suburb the way they are growing towards each other.
Never. People are so against amalgamation now after the shitshow that was amalgamation in the 90s. I do not think it would be a good idea either. You'd have even more residents and councillors against things like LRT because it doesn't benefit them.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 1:45 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Economically and socially it probably leans to the west more than eastward. Politically it will never be amalgamated -- and I doubt any provincial politician will want to touch that issue for a long, long time, if ever and especially in this region.

There are lots of ex-Hamiltonians living there. Funny thing though, the ones I know who made that move dump on their old city. Yet they continue to enjoy the amenities it offers (and those of St. Catharines-Niagara, for sure), while having their own slice of paradise next door. And the ones I know don't like the changes -- complain about low-rises going up "downtown", complain about new homes being built, complain about the condos along the QEW; they do love to boast about how much their adopted hometown is growing through.

Grimsby seems akin to Camelot. This version of it, anyway.
Video Link

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs