HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 12, 2023, 9:34 PM

Back to the Cup!

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/c...v-11-1.7026332

A few random thoughts:

I thought the Lions had a chance to de-throne the Bombers before the game started, but the Bombers almost always seem to rise to the occasion. In fact, I thought they looked a little more aggressive than usual out there, especially in pushing around the Lion's D-line. They looked like they were playing with a chip on their shoulders, and when they do i think they're tough to beat.

The Eastern Final was probably one of the biggest surprises of the last few years. Toronto never seemed to recover after that early pick 6 by Montreal.

I have to admit, if Toronto had won, I'd have been really concerned about the Bomber's chances. I don't write off Montreal, as they have a good team and they just knocked off the reigning Great Cup champs, but my gut feeling is the Bombers have a greater chance to dominate Montreal than they would have against Toronto.

I've never really bought into the sentiment that "just getting to the Grey Cup is an honor", but getting to four in a row is, IMO, a pretty significant accomplishment. If they can make it 3 for 4 next Sunday, I'm guessing they'll be measuring O'Shea for a statue at IG field.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Nov 12, 2023, 11:30 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Back to the Cup!

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/c...v-11-1.7026332

A few random thoughts:

I thought the Lions had a chance to de-throne the Bombers before the game started, but the Bombers almost always seem to rise to the occasion. In fact, I thought they looked a little more aggressive than usual out there, especially in pushing around the Lion's D-line. They looked like they were playing with a chip on their shoulders, and when they do i think they're tough to beat.

The Eastern Final was probably one of the biggest surprises of the last few years. Toronto never seemed to recover after that early pick 6 by Montreal.

I have to admit, if Toronto had won, I'd have been really concerned about the Bomber's chances. I don't write off Montreal, as they have a good team and they just knocked off the reigning Great Cup champs, but my gut feeling is the Bombers have a greater chance to dominate Montreal than they would have against Toronto.

I've never really bought into the sentiment that "just getting to the Grey Cup is an honor", but getting to four in a row is, IMO, a pretty significant accomplishment. If they can make it 3 for 4 next Sunday, I'm guessing they'll be measuring O'Shea for a statue at IG field.
4th straight Grey Cup appearance by the Bombers is an amazing achievement though.

Granted that Toronto was eliminated by Montreal, we should definitely not be on our high horse with Montreal's win. If they were able to take down Toronto (with the help of Toronto themselves), then most likely they have a good swing to take down the Bombers and win it all.

Still, the Bombers have been very good all season with their aggressive defence, solid offence, and their special teams being rock solid.

The guys will rest today, but it will be business as usual for one more week. Just gotta hope that our injured players have recovered enough to be back in the big game next Sunday.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 1:20 AM

Quote:

Bombers have a lot to study. They'll be watching replays of the Eastern final. Montreal's D was the game. They've built a team this season and are going to be tough to beat.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 4:00 PM

I was at the MTL-WPG game earlier this year in Montreal. The rain delayed, vuvuzela-esque horn blaring game (which were in the section behind us, so loud).

I thought Montreal looked pretty good. MTL D gave the Bombers a hard time. If Cody Fajardo and the offence can get things going earlier, will be a barn burner!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

I thought Montreal looked pretty good. MTL D gave the Bombers a hard time. If Cody Fajardo and the offence can get things going earlier, will be a barn burner!
I agree it's not going to be easy for either team. Montreal has a good D, a solid running game an a talented QB with Fajardo. IMO he got blamed for a lot of stuff in Regina he wasn't responsible for, so I'm kind of glad to see him have some success. I also think Jason Maas has matured tremendously as a coach from his time in Edmonton.

THAT being said, pulling for the Bombers all the way, of course. It could be an amazing game!!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 5:29 PM
There is always a way

I think that Montreal will actually be a tough test, possibly tougher than the Argos. We shall see.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I think that Montreal will actually be a tough test, possibly tougher than the Argos. We shall see.
lol...no.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 8:31 PM

ANy predictions as to what the score in the Grey Cup may be?

My prediction: Winnipeg 28 Montreal 17.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 5:08 PM

oyyyy...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2023, 6:23 PM

Quote:
oyyyy...
Yep!

Oh well. the Bombers gave us a lot of entertainment this season, and we have to remember that professional sports is just another form of entertainment. In the big picture (wars in gaza & Ukraine, homelessness in Canada, etc. etc. etc.), it's just a football game

Montreal fans haven't had a championship team for over a decade, and the Alouettes played hard determined football throughout the playoffs. Congrats to them!

As disappointing as the outcome was, I can't help but feel good for Fajardo. He was basically blamed for all the 'riders woes when he was in Regina, and probably for grasshoppers and droughts as well. Nice to see a talented player prove himself.

In the meantime (and I know this is a bit of a topic cross-over)...go Jets go!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Yep!

As disappointing as the outcome was, I can't help but feel good for Fajardo. He was basically blamed for all the 'riders woes when he was in Regina, and probably for grasshoppers and droughts as well. Nice to see a talented player prove himself.
Speaking as a Riders fan, I'd say most of us were really pleased to see Fajardo play well and win the Cup. As much as there was consensus that he didn't have a place in the Rider organization in 2023, that wasn't due to a lack of talent or ability on Cody's part or a dislike for him, it was simply a reflection that he became the scapegoat for the Riders' failures.

The fact was that he couldn't lead the team from flat on his back. Even though the Riders O-line was somewhat improved in 2023 and this year's QBs weren't sacked as often, the results with different QBs was no better than they were with Cody. Went to show that 2022 was not his fault.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2023, 6:55 PM

Alouettes won because of their defense. Fajardo was up and down this season but was serviceable and had an excellent grey cup final.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 7:27 PM
What could go wrong?

Princess Auto Stadium

Bombers’ home to be renamed Princess Auto Stadium
By: Free Press staffPosted: 11:57 AM CST Monday, Jan. 22, 2024

The home of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers will have a new name that represents the CFL club’s need to roll up its sleeves and get to work.

Winnipeg’s 32,500-seat facility in Fort Garry will be known as Princess Auto Stadium, Free Press sources confirmed Monday.

An official announcement on a new 10-year sponsorship deal between the Winnipeg Football Club (WFC) and the private, locally owned tools and equipment company is set for Tuesday afternoon.

The stadium, located on the University of Manitoba campus, had been sponsored by Investors Group since it first opened in May of 2013. The Bombers hosted their first regular-season contest there on June 27, 2013, while Valour FC played its inaugural Canadian Premier League soccer match at the stadium on May 4, 2019.

WFC is spending approximately $2 million to replace the turf after using the same playing surface since the stadium opened nearly 11 years ago. The asphalt surrounding the field and the goalposts will also be replaced.

Crews started pulling out the old artificial grass right after the CFL’s Western Final, and the rest will be taken out when the snow melt.

The Bombers are looking to rebound in ’24 after losing the Grey Cup league championship for the second year in a row.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...tting-new-name
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 7:34 PM

These naming rights things.. 10 years of PAS...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 8:05 PM

It should be Power Fist Stadium. It's way cooler.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 8:08 PM

It's still better than Budweiser Bowl or Coors Collesium or some other BS like that.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 9:18 PM

There are some terrible stadium names out there for sure haha At least it's not 'insertnamehere.com stadium'

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 12:46 AM

I vote P.A. Stadium.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 5:02 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
I vote P.A. Stadium.
...to match with the stadium's PA system.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 5:58 PM

Quote:
There are some terrible stadium names out there for sure haha At least it's not 'insertnamehere.com stadium'
It could be worse; a la Centre Slush Puppie in Gatineau, QC.
https://centreslushpuppie.com/en/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan