HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 27, 2023, 7:29 AM

Thanks for the pics.

The longer I look at the siding the worse it gets lol but I do like its presence and scale.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutlander View Post

The Point
Yuck. It reminds me of something you would find in a remote arctic community

Old Posted Aug 27, 2023, 5:37 PM

100 years ago we were the Chicago of the North, building some of the most interesting architecture in North America. Now we're building this. De-evolution at its finest. In another 100 years we'll be back to huts made of sticks.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2023, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Wins View Post
100 years ago we were the Chicago of the North, building some of the most interesting architecture in North America. Now we're building this. De-evolution at its finest. In another 100 years we'll be back to huts made of sticks.
We need as much rental housing built as fast as possible right now. Canada, including Winnipeg, is going through record population growth. If we don't build new housing fast we'll end up like Calgary (average rent for a 1-bedroom is $1,718/month), Halifax (average 1-bedroom rent is $1,863/month), or Ottawa (average 1-bedroom rent is $1,951/month).

Source: https://rentals.ca/national-rent-report

Yeah the building isn't that nice. But we need new housing, especially new rental housing, as soon as possible. The reality is that these buildings are cheaply built and won't be around in 100 years anyways. Hopefully whatever replaces it in 70-80 years is nicer.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2023, 10:02 PM

100% agree, we need to build baby build. Having a critical mass of higher-density buildings in these areas would hopefully spark some more competition in design and amenities. For now though, we need to build and maintain our affordability.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Yeah the building isn't that nice. But we need new housing, especially new rental housing, as soon as possible. The reality is that these buildings are cheaply built and won't be around in 100 years anyways. Hopefully whatever replaces it in 70-80 years is nicer.
I take your point that there is some urgency when it comes to building affordable housing. But at the same time, buildings like this will shape our city for decades to come. These are prominent buildings on a major route... they are highly visible. It would be nice if they could be done to a higher standard than the stacked ATCO trailer aesthetic that we're seeing.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 2:57 PM

It might not be beautiful but the street frontage is nice and I always like 6 storey buildings. They’re a nice middle point between high density and human scale.

Also, this is the catalyst building for this part of Pembina’s densification so they probably just wanted it built as a good reference of scale asap. I’d like to believe the other 2 buildings in the works will look nicer based on the current renders and colours used.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I take your point that there is some urgency when it comes to building affordable housing. But at the same time, buildings like this will shape our city for decades to come. These are prominent buildings on a major route... they are highly visible. It would be nice if they could be done to a higher standard than the stacked ATCO trailer aesthetic that we're seeing.
It's all a matter of how you spin it. Call it "daring metalo-brutalism" and get someone to write an article declaring it "bold" and "cutting edge" and people will gush over it.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
It's all a matter of how you spin it. Call it "daring metalo-brutalism" and get someone to write an article declaring it "bold" and "cutting edge" and people will gush over it.
LOL

OK, give me fawning architectural reviews from any two of 1) The Globe and Mail 2) The Times of London 3) The New York Times and I will accept this project

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 7:06 PM
What could go wrong?

The former Pemby site project will be significantly more imposing considering it is 12 storeys compared to the 6 here and triple the units.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 7:15 PM

^ The massing and size of the previous project is actually pretty good for where it is situated (I mean, it could have been worse... it could have been one of those standard Pembina/Portage apartments oriented perpendicular to the street with a parking lot next to it), it's more so the design details that are somewhat lacking.

But hopefully as the street continues to grow up with more projects like the one on the Pembina Hotel site, it will downplay the prominence of some of the lesser builds.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 7:19 PM

Maybe someone more up to speed can update this list? I've lost track of all the projects. But is there any news on Onyx 2? Still in zoning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Projects on Pembina or just off since 2020 and current.

3021 Pembina – Halo - 2 towers 16 & 15 Storeys, 406 Units - U/C
65 Kirkbridge – 11 Storeys, 158 Units - Pre-Construction
2737 Pembina – The Bolt – 8 Storeys, 181 Units – U/C
2525 Pembina – The Arc – 16 Storeys, 352 Units – Built
2537 Pembina – Align Student Residences – 16 Storeys, 349 Units – U/C
Markham & Gull Lake – 2 Bldgs, 8 & 4 Storeys, 229 Units – Zoning
949 Chancellor – 7 Storeys, 95 Units – Zoning
920 Chancellor – The Melody - 5 Storeys, 98 Units – Complete
30 University Cres – 7 Storeys, 104 Units – Compete
1792 Pembina – The Onyx 2 – 16 Storeys, 112 Units – Zoning
1792 Pembina – The Onyx – 6 Storeys, 282 Units - Complete
1125 Pembina – The Point on Pembina – 6 Storeys, 76 Units – U/C
1022 Pembina – Cambridge Hotel Site – 6 Storeys, 87 Units – Zoning
1011 Pembina – Pemby Site – 12 Storeys, 226 Units – Pre-Construction

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 7:28 PM

I know this is the Pembina @ Jubilee thread, but if I may digress for a moment I had occasion to drive along the South Perimeter over the weekend and the strip of South Pembina from Bison down to 100 certainly is growing... it looks much different now from that perspective. A lot more built up.

I wonder if we will see any more activity around there when it comes to the lower-hanging fruit in terms of older or smaller buildings continuing to be replaced with denser new builds? Or are those still a go in the current inflationary/high interest rate environment?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I know this is the Pembina @ Jubilee thread, but if I may digress for a moment I had occasion to drive along the South Perimeter over the weekend and the strip of South Pembina from Bison down to 100 certainly is growing... it looks much different now from that perspective. A lot more built up.

I wonder if we will see any more activity around there when it comes to the lower-hanging fruit in terms of older or smaller buildings continuing to be replaced with denser new builds? Or are those still a go in the current inflationary/high interest rate environment?
I would imagine Portage Ave will be next, especially between downtown and Polo Park. Mayor Gillingham made a promise to densify both Portage Ave and Pembina Hwy last fall during the election campaign.

https://winnipegsun.com/news/local-n...bina-corridors

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Maybe someone more up to speed can update this list? I've lost track of all the projects. But is there any news on Onyx 2? Still in zoning?
65 Kirkbridge is not happening, 949 Chancellor is in pre-construction, Halo should be very close to completion, and 1819 Pembina is a 10 storey, 230 unit building (former Capri site) that is in pre-construction. Otherwise the rest is accurate.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
But is there any news on Onyx 2? Still in zoning?
I have heard through the grapevine that Ironclad has decided to put a pause on new projects in Winnipeg and focus on other markets (BC & ON)

They also had a project that they supposedly started in the Maples area but put that on the backburner as well.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
We need as much rental housing built as fast as possible right now. Canada, including Winnipeg, is going through record population growth. If we don't build new housing fast we'll end up like Calgary (average rent for a 1-bedroom is $1,718/month), Halifax (average 1-bedroom rent is $1,863/month), or Ottawa (average 1-bedroom rent is $1,951/month).

Source: https://rentals.ca/national-rent-report

I'm actually shocked that Edmonton is still technically cheaper to rent a place than Winnipeg. But yes, rent prices are going to go up substantially, considering average Canadians are being priced out of Toronto and BC.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
65 Kirkbridge is not happening, 949 Chancellor is in pre-construction, Halo should be very close to completion, and 1819 Pembina is a 10 storey, 230 unit building (former Capri site) that is in pre-construction. Otherwise the rest is accurate.
That's too bad about 65 Kirkbridge.

I believe the north tower of the Halo project is starting tenancies soon while the south tower is looking at an April 2024 start for leases. The exterior of the south tower is effectively done and a bunch of work is going on in the lobby/CRU area that connects the two towers.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I'm actually shocked that Edmonton is still technically cheaper to rent a place than Winnipeg. But yes, rent prices are going to go up substantially, considering average Canadians are being priced out of Toronto and BC.
I've seen some variation in what the "average rent" is considered for Winnipeg. Different sources use different methodology. I'm pretty sure Rentals.ca isn't accounting for all the rooming houses in the North End and the West End. Just from looking at apartments in Edmonton on Kijiji over the last few months, I'd say the rental prices in Edmonton seem very similar to Winnipeg, maybe 5%-10% more for a comparable apartment in Edmonton.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2023, 1:04 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
I have heard through the grapevine that Ironclad has decided to put a pause on new projects in Winnipeg and focus on other markets (BC & ON)

They also had a project that they supposedly started in the Maples area but put that on the backburner as well.
Onyx is slated for spring 2024

IronClad actually sold the Maples project to another developer.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan