HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 2:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreattait View Post
how about starting some highway projects along with some power line projects along the east side of lake Winnipeg, I'm sure that would create some jobs and also provide a vital link to the first nations communities which would help to lower living costs and improve living conditions on the reserve on that side of the lake.

Another make work project could include a new mass transit system in the city of winnipeg. not only would this create jobs for labourers but I'm sure there are some engineering firms that could use some work to tide them over during slower economic times. Now I understand that the various engineering disciplines require experts in each of the fields but I'm quite certain we have some amazing architects and engineers that could design some award winning LRT stations that meet the cold weather needs of our city and tie in safety, security, environmental, and unique charater elements that could unite the city, and spur future economic development.

So you would rip a road through pristine wilderness to get goods to people living in isolated communities with no hope, no future, no industry that are basically unsustainable to begin with.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 3:24 PM

I look at it is creating an opportunity for success, these communities would then no longer be isolated and would then have increased access to resources at more resonable prices. This would also open up commercial opportunities which would provide meaningful employment in these communities. As for ripping up pristine wilderness. This whole continent was untouched at one point, do you think we should all jump back on the boat head back to Europe Asia and Africa and let nature take over?

There are environmentally responsible methods of creating infrustructure that have lesser impacts on the surronding environment. Yes, there is still an impact but I think in the long run the benefits outway the negative aspects.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 4:42 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreattait View Post
I look at it is creating an opportunity for success, these communities would then no longer be isolated and would then have increased access to resources at more resonable prices. This would also open up commercial opportunities which would provide meaningful employment in these communities. As for ripping up pristine wilderness. This whole continent was untouched at one point, do you think we should all jump back on the boat head back to Europe Asia and Africa and let nature take over?

There are environmentally responsible methods of creating infrustructure that have lesser impacts on the surronding environment. Yes, there is still an impact but I think in the long run the benefits outway the negative aspects.
I don't think the ends justify the means for building more roads up north. In fact I think we should be encouraging people to relocate out of the many unsustainable northern communities to areas where actual jobs are available.

There are plenty of reserves up north with year round road access, and that hasn't changed the fact that outside of gas stations, convenience stores, government work, council work and other service type industries there are no paying jobs in the communities. There needs to be a reason for a city or town to attract industry and private investment. A lot of communities in Northern Manitoba have no hope for large private investment, roads or no roads.

If we are going to start highway make-work projects, I really think a year round paved highway to Churchill should be first on the list.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 10:19 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

todays update though looks like a 2006
http://www.gov.mb.ca/waterstewardshi...%2020_2009.pdf

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 11:03 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

so the floodway is stuck wide open...

Last edited by 1ajs; Mar 24, 2009 at 11:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 2:28 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

There needs to be a reason for a city or town to attract industry and private investment. A lot of communities in Northern Manitoba have no hope for large private investment, roads or no roads.

If we are going to start highway make-work projects, I really think a year round paved highway to Churchill should be first on the list.
There are plenty of mining oportunities in northern Manitoba, which can not happen because most of the north is not serviced by roads. New towns would pop up around any new mining project in undeveloped areas of Manitoba.

I would definatly second the idea of building a year round highway to Churchill and I expect it to become a reality in the coming years.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 2:33 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
so the floodway is stuck wide open...
The floodway doesn't "open". There is a berm at the inlet and water flows in naturally when it reaches the top of the berm. I don't know the James height of the berm (if someone knows please post) but I do know the gates will not be operated until the ice is gone - and it has some melting to do yet!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 2:44 AM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
The floodway doesn't "open". There is a berm at the inlet and water flows in naturally when it reaches the top of the berm. I don't know the James height of the berm (if someone knows please post) but I do know the gates will not be operated until the ice is gone - and it has some melting to do yet!
This is true. Specifically the inlet gate has a mechanism that rises and falls to force water that would normally flow through the city to instead flow over the floodway berm and around the city. The structure has two submersible gates, each 34.3 m wide, which, under non-flood conditions, remain at the level of the channel bottom. In times of flooding, the gates are raised to control the division of flow through the City of Winnipeg and the floodway channel.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 2:47 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

witch can't be rased due to ice

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:18 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
which can't be raised due to ice
It is ice in the floodway channel that the engineers are trying to avoid.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 4:23 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 8:13 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Ice jams cause flooding, force evacuation north of Winnipeg

Four homes in St. Andrews evacuated, firefighters warning others to be ready

Last Updated: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 | 2:39 PM CT Comments0Recommend1

CBC News

Four homes in St. Andrews, a community about 20 kilometres northeast of Winnipeg, have been evacuated and firefighters are knocking on doors, warning other residents to be ready to go.
Ice jams on the Red River are causing water to back up over the banks, while frozen culverts are preventing the water from draining through the ditches.
'We don't like to work on highways, but at the end of the day, we have to look after the St. Andrews citizens.'— Don Forfar
The emergency medical officer in the area told CBC News that volunteers are needed to start filling sandbags and build up dykes for the homes on River Road, south of Lockport.
For much of this week, residents have been desperately trying to keep their homes above water but encountering a flood of frustration when seeking help from the government.
Resident Marty McGregor has been busy pumping water off his property this week and watching it seep into his basement from the plugged ditch in his front yard. He called the rural municipality office but was told his problem was the jurisdiction of the provincial department of highways.
When he contacted the highways department, however, he was sent right back to the RM.
St. Andrews Reeve Don Forfar maintains the issue is not within the RM's jurisdiction, because the culverts run along Highway 9. However, the RM has been given the green light to do the work, because highway officials are too busy elsewhere, he said.
"We don't like to work on highways, but at the end of the day, we have to look after the St. Andrews citizens," he said.
With 400 complaints and many homes in worse shape than McGregor's, however, getting to everyone could take a while, said Forfar.
Fewer Winnipeg homes at risk

Meanwhile, some Winnipeggers received some good news regarding the flooding outlook. The City of Winnipeg has announced the number of properties within city limits that are at risk of river flooding has been reduced to 34 from almost 300.
Those properties have been staked and surveyed and sandbag deliveries have begun. The city estimates it will need about 24,000 sandbags for the properties. Originally, it was expecting it would need 760,000 of the bags.
With more precipitation falling on the city through Tuesday and Wednesday — and expected to continue through Thursday — the city said it will monitor the situation closely and be ready to add more homes and sandbags to the list.
The majority of the city is protected by the Red River Floodway, a 48-kilometre long channel from St. Norbert and Lockport, which redirects water from the river around the east side of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 11:01 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

With ice jams going on, the weather, and ice upstream from the flood gates, this will be one tricky flood season.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 11:25 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

indeed

good thing i got pool chemicals and one of those things that floats letting the stuff out slowly... haha if my basement floods i'll be ready

.... got a long ways to go befor that happens though

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 1:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

today

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 1:05 AM
http://www.archiseek.com

twitter updates on river level in winnipeg
twitter.com/redinwinnipeg

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 4:22 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

I saw a map on here at some time showing which streets were flooded in winnipegs major floods over the last century....

any idea when it is

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 5:14 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

find the manitoba maps dude on flickr

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 8:28 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Wishing you guys luck for anyone on low ground. I may not be at risk for flooding personally but I'm with ya' in spirit.

In 97 we were so busy figuring out which road might still be passable for another half kilometer, and worrying about that half inch of rain that would have washed out Brunkild that I never had much of a chance to play observer until after the crest. Also with the Internet being still somewhat obscure, there wasn't the ability to stay up-to-the-minute other than CJOB and the like.

Those impressive sat photos of the Red Sea didn't really surface until weeks later - this time around it'd be neat (in a morbid sense) to have near realtime pictures like that. I flew over the city about 3 days after the crest and it was a very humbling sight.

Hopefully the Floodway improvements make this a non-issue for the city - I know a lot of very short-sighted and petty people fought tooth and nail against that, even though they'd already been proven wrong dozens of times. Good to see some sense finally prevailed because if I'm hearing right, and Fargo is seeing 41' already... it may just be needed already.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 9:29 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

my friend in fargo says the water is prity much at the top of the dikes the mud dikes are soked so bad if u step on them u sink into them so its horible they also got ust as much snow as us and its ll going to melt over the next couple days down there

as for 97 i saw the maps as they came out but then my mother is a jurnalist and i got to go out with her couple times and see some of the stuff though i never got my helicopter ride i was promised . i did get a tour of capion baricks when with all the gear and troops they had brought in was quite crazy... as a result i have an archive of stuff here

i think one of my markers is still in one of the trees i put up in 97 i have to go climb the tree though since it has grown..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan