HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Higgins Ave was full of drugs and prostitution. Euclid , and the area immediately surrounding it was never safe. Of course, going down North Main and Selkirk or Flora was a lot worse. Who are you trying to fool anyway? You expect us to believe that in 15 years, one could go from the Point Douglas area, through North Main, to downtown and back, and feel completely safe, but 15 years later, you and your family were literally prisoners in your own home? lol. Get real.

Your whole argument that Winnipeg has turned into some kind of hellhole that is a haven for violent criminals, is bordering on comical. If Winnipeg was placed in America, it would actually be one of the safer cities, having a per-capita crime rate of a Spokane, Washington, and lower than criminal hot-sports like Colorado Springs.
You are a piece of fucking work pal. Not one thing I said was untrue. For the record there was NOTHING going on on Euclid in those years. Back in the 40s maybe 50s too, there definitely was. When I moved to the area there was still some unused physical remnants of that era still around. Now long gone.

Who am I trying to fool lol? Obviously not you as you know almost everything it seems. I will now mute you as I did with rrsklyar. I can no longer be bothered. Can't fool the fool, after all.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
from LinkedIn

Coming to Osborne Village in 2025: a harmonious blend of community living and support services!

Proposed for the iconic intersection of Wellington Crescent and River Avenue, a distinguished 51-unit complex comprising of 1-bedroom suites. Thanks to our esteemed collaboration with Cambridge Health Inc., 20 of these 1-bedroom suites will cater specifically to supported housing for older adults.

This architectural marvel will consist of two distinct buildings: a 10-unit structure exclusively reserved for Cambridge’s residents, and a larger 41-unit building interconnected by a third-floor walkway. This complex will feature an array of amenities including a multi-purpose room, main floor commercial space, fitness facility, a commercial kitchen, and a rooftop patio offering panoramic views of Osborne Village and the Red River.

Here's the before picture, hopefully only about 1.5 years and then I'll be able to take an after picture!

photo websites

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
You are a piece of fucking work pal. Not one thing I said was untrue. For the record there was NOTHING going on on Euclid in those years. Back in the 40s maybe 50s too, there definitely was. When I moved to the area there was still some unused physical remnants of that era still around. Now long gone.

Who am I trying to fool lol? Obviously not you as you know almost everything it seems. I will now mute you as I did with rrsklyar. I can no longer be bothered. Can't fool the fool, after all.
Please do not do that.

Last edited by BlackDog204; May 11, 2024 at 5:54 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 2:07 AM

Barriers are up on River Ave now. Looks like road construction (with the new bike lane) will be starting soon.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Barriers are up on River Ave now. Looks like road construction (with the new bike lane) will be starting soon.
Wicked. Gotta start closing those big holes in the network. It'd be sweet to get that pedestrian bridge going too.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Wicked. Gotta start closing those big holes in the network. It'd be sweet to get that pedestrian bridge going too.
We can dream lol. Haven't heard about that bridge in years. Last I heard, it was in the city council's "unfunded projects" list.

Also, on that note, it pisses me off how the city spends no money on Osborne Village. I ran some numbers last summer and Osborne pays about double the property tax per acre as neighbourhoods such as Lindenwoods, Bridgewater Forest, and River Park South. Osborne Village pays about triple the property tax per acre as neighbourhoods such as Fort Garry, Windsor Park, and Southdale (which includes the commercial strip along Fermor). And what does Osborne get in return? Shitty roads, shitty sidewalks, shitty backlanes, no new boulevard trees, and no imporvements to the pedestrian realm. Osborne has a ton of private development right now, bringing in lots of revenue for the city, and yet the public realm continues to deteriorate every year. Nevermind a pedestrian bridge or God Forbid a bike lane over one of the bridges (Osborne, Midtown, Main). Honestly just pisses me off.

Here are the numbers for anyone curious. Can't remember if I've shared them here before.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AryG98U0bDtTg3dy...-7flS?e=XVXPRp

And here are the census tracts. They are shown in Google Maps too:

https://legacy.winnipeg.ca/census/2016/

Last edited by ColdRain&Snow; May 11, 2024 at 3:45 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 5:28 AM

Quote:
We can dream lol. Haven't heard about that bridge in years. Last I heard, it was in the city council's "unfunded projects" list.

Also, on that note, it pisses me off how the city spends no money on Osborne Village. I ran some numbers last summer and Osborne pays about double the property tax per acre as neighbourhoods such as Lindenwoods, Bridgewater Forest, and River Park South. Osborne Village pays about triple the property tax per acre as neighbourhoods such as Fort Garry, Windsor Park, and Southdale (which includes the commercial strip along Fermor). And what does Osborne get in return? Shitty roads, shitty sidewalks, shitty backlanes, no new boulevard trees, and no imporvements to the pedestrian realm. Osborne has a ton of private development right now, bringing in lots of revenue for the city, and yet the public realm continues to deteriorate every year. Nevermind a pedestrian bridge or God Forbid a bike lane over one of the bridges (Osborne, Midtown, Main). Honestly just pisses me off.

Here are the numbers for anyone curious. Can't remember if I've shared them here before.

I concur with what you said.
I have lived in the area ever since I left home.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 3:58 AM

Quote:

Such a shame. Winnipeg should be encouraging the density of the city, especially the inner city, not encouraging urban sprawl.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 2:11 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Definitely not. I owned a house in Point Douglas starting around 1982 or 83. At that time I regularly walked from downtown to home and there were no safety issues at all. Starting around 1990 everything started to change. As all the old Ukrainians and Polish folk started dying out the sharks moved in. They bought their houses and turned them into rooming house after rooming house throughout the entire neighbourhood. It took about 5 years to go from great to shit. I finally bailed in 1998 when I realizes that I couldn't even leave my kid in the yard to go even answer the phone for fear of their safety. The moment was sealed when I was jumped behind Metro Meats by two I.P. I got away with a broken arm, many stitches, especially on my head. My friend didn't fare so well. I guess they were mad when I got away and they mangled his face with the construction metal from the renovation going on at the time to Metro Meats.

yep the 90's sucked grew up on hallet 92-2013 between the 2 rooming houses one owned by a firefighter then a cop since sold by them.and the one thats had the same asshole since the 80's

watched higgins and main turn into a sespool the underpass becoming the nastyest pos of piss the demolition by neglect

the loss of euclids character ect ect

john prystanski was the vain of city counclers my mother used to get into epic fights with him and his dad i dunno how many busted windows she had and slashed tires fighting with those to used to frustrait the hell outa my dad

i had a gun pulled on me too at metro that was stressfull as a kid prolly the same assholes but genraly didnt have much trouble was more the aseholes in the mb housing on granvill and 79 hallet that were annoying

remembers the hooker at hallet and euclid around 93 she kicked the window out of my parents car when my mom asked her to move somewhere els while waiting for the school bus those 2 got into fights all the time.

i reember vaguely an incident in behind metro around 98 happening like that.

anyhow remember the walters?
video store walter as we called him on hallet hes still there. worked at wizzards

then drunken walter aka the butcher at metro died slipping on his pee smashing his head in the bathroom what a way to go was quiet the drunk but a damn good butcher

and then walter lewic whos dad was on lusted. he owned golden city in china town and lost his store when that building colapsed on princess

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 2:25 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
You expect us to believe that in 15 years, one could go from the Point Douglas area, through North Main, to downtown and back, and feel completely safe, but 15 years later, you and your family were literally prisoners in your own home? lol. Get real.
umm
lets see

around when he left higgins and main was undergoing a antibiotic resistant TB outbreak that was killing people lingering in the area with the slumlords not careing renting to people that needed supports but had none so they drank and did drugs shitting out windows peeing where ever trashing these houses to demoliton burning down ect a symptom of what residential schools did.

the few mb housing complexs were always rented to ip IP

the wsd1 going down the shitter

the bubas dieing and kids who had moved to toronto and didnt want these houses would just sell em for what ever they could get so people who saw opertunities would buy these properties for 5-20 grand and turn them into rooming houses making boat loads of cash high grading the piss outa these properties as i call it a nasty buisnes model...

it was not safe at times the area was in a dark whole that was mentaly draining on many the area did put up a fight to survive but its been a long drawn out one

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
yep the 90's sucked grew up on hallet 92-2013 between the 2 rooming houses one owned by a firefighter then a cop since sold by them.and the one thats had the same asshole since the 80's

watched higgins and main turn into a sespool the underpass becoming the nastyest pos of piss the demolition by neglect

the loss of euclids character ect ect

john prystanski was the vain of city counclers my mother used to get into epic fights with him and his dad i dunno how many busted windows she had and slashed tires fighting with those to used to frustrait the hell outa my dad

i had a gun pulled on me too at metro that was stressfull as a kid prolly the same assholes but genraly didnt have much trouble was more the aseholes in the mb housing on granvill and 79 hallet that were annoying

remembers the hooker at hallet and euclid around 93 she kicked the window out of my parents car when my mom asked her to move somewhere els while waiting for the school bus those 2 got into fights all the time.

i reember vaguely an incident in behind metro around 98 happening like that.

anyhow remember the walters?
video store walter as we called him on hallet hes still there. worked at wizzards

then drunken walter aka the butcher at metro died slipping on his pee smashing his head in the bathroom what a way to go was quiet the drunk but a damn good butcher

and then walter lewic whos dad was on lusted. he owned golden city in china town and lost his store when that building colapsed on princess
Sounds like quite the exciting neighborhood. I remember the guy who owned Wizards Video. He had a beard, and had a big dog 🐕 behind the counter. I used to go out of my way to his store, as they had literally every UFC and pro wrestling PPV event during the wrestling boom.

It's sad that Wizards went out of business only to become an internet pharmacy around 2002.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 6:47 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Sounds like quite the exciting neighborhood. I remember the guy who owned Wizards Video. He had a beard, and had a big dog 🐕 behind the counter. I used to go out of my way to his store, as they had literally every UFC and pro wrestling PPV event during the wrestling boom.

It's sad that Wizards went out of business only to become an internet pharmacy around 2002.
i forget the owners name wasnt walter he worked there

video store walter wound up with the dog when wizzards closed
that guy graduated as a doctor and never worked a day after he finished it
there was allot of that with the rift raft around pd though masters degree in physics science engineering never a dull moment talking to allot of the rift raft. like jungle jim.nick name had to do with a case of beer a bunch of coke and climbing a tree and having the wps haul him away to jail think that was in 95 or 96 when sober he was actualy a good guy. hahah o man so comical specialy when he would get eric the nieghbor going o man u get the pop corn out.i imagin OTA knows who jungle jim was erica

it was a neat area still is few more karens now adays but eh boomers hahaha

the store shut down cause the building sold

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 7:00 PM

I hate to be that guy guys but can we bring the OV thread back to the OV haha?

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:24 PM

So, Last I recall, Hallet, Euclid were not in Osborne village nor Corydon area. Same with Higgins & Low Track etc...
WOW!
Can we get back to What the header stands for?
Osborne Village & Corydon area

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:50 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

then talk about osborne

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
then talk about osborne
No u

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 12:03 AM

To bring it back on topic, here's a new OV business I'm stoked for! Screw Starbucks saving face for closing down a shop which no longer aligns with their model (drive thrus), I'll take a local shop anytime. Plus kitties.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...pg-draft-may-6

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 1:51 AM

Lots of progress being made at 424 Wardlaw Ave. Sorry for the crooked photo, the fence is tall and I am not haha.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 1:55 AM

Also, I've got to imagine that the law office building at 412 Wardlaw (in the background of the above photo) is going to come down soon. The lot beside it (406 Wardlaw Ave) is vacant and beside that lot is a 4 story building. Would be the perfect spot for another 4-6 story building if the lot was combined with 406 Wardlaw.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Lots of progress being made at 424 Wardlaw Ave. Sorry for the crooked photo, the fence is tall and I am not haha.

I'll take a crooked photo about Osborne village/Corydon area over 1970's/80's chats about distant & other areas any day.
This is about Osborne Village & Corydon area after all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan