HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I had the USA/AUS game on TV the other night, and there were some large patches of empty seats... not sure where those fans were considering it was billed as a sellout. I can't imagine that people would come here from the USA to attend soccer and then spend match-time milling around in the concourse drinking rum? But then, I'm old school... I hate to miss even a moment of the action when I'm at a football or hockey game. I save the socializing for before and after the game
The games are billed as a sell out because they sell them 2 for 1 and refuse you re-entry into the stadium. If you're a young family, that means staying in IGF for 5+ hours with over a an hour and a half between games. Not surprisingly people don't stay for the second game or don't show up to the first. The whole 'sell-out' thing is more of a ruse because you're buying tickets to both games whether you want them or not.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
The games are billed as a sell out because they sell them 2 for 1 and refuse you re-entry into the stadium. If you're a young family, that means staying in IGF for 5+ hours with over a an hour and a half between games. Not surprisingly people don't stay for the second game or don't show up to the first. The whole 'sell-out' thing is more of a ruse because you're buying tickets to both games whether you want them or not.
Also, some tickets are reserved for VIP's and such that largely go unused.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
When I think of Nebraska, I don't think of any impressive stadiums. I'm sure there's a cobbled together college stadium three times the size of IGF, but a brand new unified design hasn't probably been seen there in years. It doesn't surprise me they find it nice.
Or its just a very nice stadium... Which it is. Best I the country by far.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geebrr View Post
I would say that's a stretch. Have you been to BC Place since they did the renos? It's pretty fantastic

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Or its just a very nice stadium... Which it is..
Yes it is, I think many here share the same opinion, others, not so much?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 6:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
...for a couple more years.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 7:03 PM

Well done, the Newish BB stadium/ IGF field has never looked better..to much green though..

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
The doubleheaders sell for more than the single games, but yeah, they are discounted. (ie. $65 for the most expensive ticket to the lone single match vs. $90 for 2 matches). The start times are lousy and very few individuals will book a day off work for women's soccer.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I had the USA/AUS game on TV the other night, and there were some large patches of empty seats... not sure where those fans were considering it was billed as a sellout. I can't imagine that people would come here from the USA to attend soccer and then spend match-time milling around in the concourse drinking rum? But then, I'm old school... I hate to miss even a moment of the action when I'm at a football or hockey game. I save the socializing for before and after the game
I was at the U.S./Aus game and tons of people were in the concourse and concession areas during the game. Extremely long waits for food and beer, and the line up for the official WWC fan shop was beyond ridiculous throughout the game.

Seemed many of the U.S. fans didn't mind milling around the concourse area as it was a nice night weather wise and no one missed any of the game action with the large end zone screens and concourse monitors.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 9:27 PM
GQMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post

No doubt. This will be the best stadium in the league.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
I was at the U.S./Aus game and tons of people were in the concourse and concession areas during the game. Extremely long waits for food and beer, and the line up for the official WWC fan shop was beyond ridiculous throughout the game.

Seemed many of the U.S. fans didn't mind milling around the concourse area as it was a nice night weather wise and no one missed any of the game action with the large end zone screens and concourse monitors.
I was at the Canada/China game in Edmonton and it was the same. In the concourse area you couldn't tell which line was for what, it was so congested. Fan shop took an hour to buy anything and apparently they ran out of virtually all concessions.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 4:26 PM

Quote:

Meh

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Well done, the Newish BB stadium/ IGF field has never looked better..to much green though..
Newish? The MTS centre is Newish. Pretty sure a 2 year old stadium is still classified as new their slick

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Remains to be seen. BC place is still the jewel of this country in terms of stadiums. If IGF is a 7 than New mosiac will be a 8-9 minimum but BC place is a solid 10 in every aspect. Fully renovated 50,000+ seats, retractable roof, Centre hung HD scoreboard in a downtown setting surrounded by ocean and skyscrapers...It will hold it's own vs any stadium in North america. I'm Not convinced a 33k seat open air stadium worth less than half it's Reno price tag is gonna take the throne so effortlessly. Not taking anything away from Mosiac it will set the bar as far as CFL specific stadiums go but to label a half built stadium the future "best/nicest stadium in Canada is kind of pre mature when you put it next to this work of art.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 2:33 PM

There's no agrument that the new Mosaic Place won't hold a candle to BC Place in terms of location & scenery, likely asthetics of the stadium as well. As for a venue in which to enjoy a football game, that will have to wait until Mosaic Place is up & running to see how well it works in all aspects that matter.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
Newish? The MTS centre is Newish. Pretty sure a 2 year old stadium is still classified as new their slick
Yes newish, newer, almost like new. After you install a "new" toilet, it can be classified differently after it's been flushed 1000's of times, regardless of the time span?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
I was at the Canada/China game in Edmonton and it was the same. In the concourse area you couldn't tell which line was for what, it was so congested. Fan shop took an hour to buy anything and apparently they ran out of virtually all concessions.
In my experience the concourses, restrooms and concessions at Commonwealth are unable to handle a large crowd.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
In my experience the concourses, restrooms and concessions at Commonwealth are unable to handle a large crowd.
Yeah, this is probably the biggest knock on Commonwealth... the single concourse design was probably inadequate when the place was originally built with 42,000 seats, but when they expanded it to 60,000 in 1982 it became downright lousy. Anytime there are more than 30,000 people in the stadium (basically any Esks game that isn't being played in a downpour), the concourse gets badly congested at halftime, washrooms are completely overrun, etc.

It helped a bit when they added those hideous-looking wings with additional space prior to the 2001 IAAF event, but even that is barely a band aid. Commonwealth should have been built with two concourses to serve each of the levels, for sure.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 3:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
Remains to be seen. BC place is still the jewel of this country in terms of stadiums. If IGF is a 7 than New mosiac will be a 8-9 minimum but BC place is a solid 10 in every aspect. Fully renovated 50,000+ seats, retractable roof, Centre hung HD scoreboard in a downtown setting surrounded by ocean and skyscrapers...It will hold it's own vs any stadium in North america. I'm Not convinced a 33k seat open air stadium worth less than half it's Reno price tag is gonna take the throne so effortlessly. Not taking anything away from Mosiac it will set the bar as far as CFL specific stadiums go but to label a half built stadium the future "best/nicest stadium in Canada is kind of pre mature when you put it next to this work of art.
Settle down Oilkountry I was referring to outdoor football stadiums.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I vivdly recall attending the 2002 Grey Cup at Commonwealth. Attempting to get to our seats prior to kickoff is far more deeply etched in my memory thatn the game itself (other than it was cold and Shania Twain performed at halftime). There was simply no way to set your own course across the concourse - it was like an ebb & flow of the sea and you were just carried with the motion of the crowd. I recall mentioning to one of the guys that I was with that it would be frightening to have a child with you in the crowd, as if you were separated, it would be next to impossible to get him/her back until the crowd thinned. I really felt bad for those trying to fight their way to the washrooms. Just a complete zoo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan