HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 11:00 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Me, sane? Yes, the doctors say I'm fine, just an Aspie.

Et toi?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Proves my point that McDonald's seems to attract the "mentally ill" these days.
One of the recent cuts to health care eliminated the recreational therapist positions that worked with mental health in-patients, likely working to help them integrate back into the community.

In terms of McDonalds specifically, the $1 drink special definitely plays to the lower elements of society. If you are homeless, mentally ill, etc you can go to McDonalds, spend a $1 and be entitled to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Back to the Ft. Garry Loose Moose story. OK, so one day later... why are the Police getting involved with what should be an Animal Services call?????????
Winnipeg Police got involved as it was a public safety issues. A moose running into peak traffic volumes could cause a multi vehicle crash with significant injuries especially as Bison Dr a short distance west of IGF is 80 km/h.

Now if the moose was a publicity stunt I would look at the Rider fan base as the culprits. Even then relocation of wildlife is a crime in itself so doubt even the Rider fans would stoop that low. If they wanted to delay pre-game traffic they could have just faked a pedestrian being hit my a car, that is more style anyway.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 3:58 PM

At first I thought it was a stunt. But then heard it was wandering the night before. Coincidences do happen. I highly doubt someone was able to capture the moose and let it loose at IGF. But hey, you never now.

Either way, the moose is now dead...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 4:02 PM

Can't a moose just go watch a damn football game without getting tranquilized on the way over?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
At first I thought it was a stunt. But then heard it was wandering the night before. Coincidences do happen. I highly doubt someone was able to capture the moose and let it loose at IGF. But hey, you never now.

Either way, the moose is now dead...

It was tranquilized and moved north of Winnipeg. Wildlife is only put down as a last resort from what MB Conversation said over the weekend.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
It was tranquilized and moved north of Winnipeg. Wildlife is only put down as a last resort from what MB Conversation said over the weekend.
It died during transport they are reporting today.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post

Thanks for the update, I have not been near a radio since 8am.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
This fentanyl issue is getting pretty extreme when not even a moose is safe.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 9:19 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...bowl-1.4283909
No need to tranquilize moose near Investors Group Field, says wildlife biologist

Quote:
A wildlife expert is questioning the actions of Winnipeg police and Manitoba conservation officers after a moose that wandered into Winnipeg died on Saturday.

The moose was seen in southern Winnipeg on Friday and wandered through several neighbourhoods along the Red River before being spotted outside Investors Group Field before the Banjo Bowl.

Officers corralled the moose and shot it three times with a tranquilizer, loaded it onto a trailer and took it north of the city.
The stress and exertion of running through the city in hot weather for two days took a toll on the moose and it died in transport, a provincial spokesperson said in an email to CBC News.\

Police and officers borrowed a nearby trailer to remove the moose from the area, Carver said.
Police were prepared to put the animal down if necessary, because the moose was a public danger, he said.

Critchon disagreed.

"That's nonsense. It's not going to charge anybody," Critchon said. "I've dealt with so many moose on the land in Riding Mountain [National Park], and I've only ever had one come after me … and that was a cow with a calf."

Instead of tranquilizing the moose, police and conservation officers should have concentrated on keeping people away from it, corralled it as best they could, then let it calm down, said Critchon. Later that evening, they could have tranquilized and moved it.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 12:11 AM
BANNED

A wee bit overzealous. It definitely was not a full grown Moose. Three tranquilizer darts seems extreme. There was a lot of pressure to capture the Moose from Police and the Bombers, as it was delaying the start of the game.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 7:02 PM

^^ Likely pressure from Bell too as their TSN channel had a tv triple header scheduled with the Bomber's game being the first of the three. That was likely pressure onto the Bombers who in turn were pressuring police.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 7:43 PM

CFL extends a week, moves one week earlier and adds a third bye week starting next season.

In season practices with full pads have also been eliminated.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 8:25 PM

So how are they supposed to practice blocking, etc? I can see this leading to more injuries during games. Essentially they'll be limited to walk through type stuff it sounds like? Doesn't seem effective to me.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 4:05 PM

Not sure what impact the practice changes will ultimately have. The thinking is the change will lead to fewer injuries. I also think it is questionable how hard players would push themselves and teammates in practices with full pads on as you want to put the effort in but you are also being mindful to not hurt your teammates.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 1:37 PM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 2:45 PM

Bait and switch.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 3:09 PM

Seems like prime real estate. Whats the problem?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 3:39 PM
BANNED

Looks like the deck of cards plan for stadium financing and repayment is quickly falling apart, big surprise!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 4:11 PM

You take out a $75 million loan with a 25 year amortization against "future development" which is slower to happen than planned. After 4 years (16% of the life of the loan) you take a one time write down of 75% of the value ($56 million). Sure the approximately $1 million a year in property taxes as-is today will cover the remaining balance but what if development happens on the site in say 5 years and it is suddenly generating more income than projected?

Not a finance person but it feels like it would make more sense to take the write-downs on an annualized basis if the development hasn't happened at that time. Also if the current estimate is being projected on a continued tax value as the property is today they better not issue a demo permit for that building and also take some safeguards to ensure it isn't damaged by vandalism (ie burned down in an accidental fire).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 4:41 PM

I wouldn't quite call it bait-and-switch. CF and Shindico aren't in the game of sitting on undeveloped prime real estate. Target folded and the retail landscape has changed significantly in the last 5 years. I'm interested to see this plan come November as I've long said this should be a mixed-use development.

And Cory I agree – this will start to be redeveloped in the next couple years (if not sooner) and they will begin to make some of that money back. I have a strange hunch the province is doing the write-down as a political move to further sour the NDP. It's not like they shied away from directly targeting Selinger in the interview.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan