HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 12:57 PM

Lehi, Over 46,000 people and climbing / 2007 a year of new projects for Lehi City

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/249922/

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 6:24 AM
Exit 298

Too Close To Home

IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE

I am very sad tonight. I live in the Wyview Park complex on University Avenue. I remember when I moved here this past summer I saw the crosswalk on the street, and said "oh well, I guess I'm driving to school every day." It's terribly dangerous. There's "Rocky Flags" which help - but it doesn't matter. Especially at night. The speed limit if 45-50 MPH.

It's really bothered me because there's lots of students (about a third) who ride bikes and walk to school each day, and aren't lucky enough to drive. UTA's service is garbage since you have to walk to other side of the complex to catch it and it seems counter-productive to walk away from school to go to school.

Anyway, as a "traffic planner" sort of guy, I've been grappling fairly often in my mind the debate between Provo/BYU trying to get students across the highway and UDOT's need to keep cars flowing up the canyon.

Well tonight ... and it hurts to think about it, a girl was hit and killed by a car on University Avenue as she crossed. There are Rocky Flags, but even with them it's hard to see somebody coming, unless you know there's a crosswalk there. Everyone I talk to says they've all almost hit somebody there. It's also 1/2 way between light poles so it's really dark there.

Anyway, none of the TV stations are covering. KSL Radio is only because we called them to see what's up - and they haven't heard about it. My roommate saw the body lying in the street and the papers and bookstore bag that were flung across the highway. And I'm just now learning she's in my ward.

So I need to vent. Sorry if I'm not making any sense, but this really hits close to home.

Something NEEDS TO CHANGE!

THESE DANG ROCKY FLAGS DON'T CUT IT! YOU CAN'T HAVE HUNDREDS OF STUDENTS CROSS EVERY DAY IN A POOR VISIBILITY CROSSWALK. THIS NEEDS TO BE CHANGED.

I'm trying to vent constructively. I cropped in a refuge island. What we really need is a light too.

Maybe a light is needed. Anyway ... it's surreal. I probably didn't know the girl - I hear she just moved in. But it just makes me sick.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 12:12 PM

UVU receives major gift for theater arts

(Stuart Johnson, Deseret Morning News)

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...242243,00.html

The Ray and Tye Noorda Foundation asked that the donation amount be kept confidential, but UVSC officials say it is the largest single payment gift in the college's history.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE

I am very sad tonight. I live in the Wyview Park complex on University Avenue. I remember when I moved here this past summer I saw the crosswalk on the street, and said "oh well, I guess I'm driving to school every day." It's terribly dangerous. There's "Rocky Flags" which help - but it doesn't matter. Especially at night. The speed limit if 45-50 MPH.

It's really bothered me because there's lots of students (about a third) who ride bikes and walk to school each day, and aren't lucky enough to drive. UTA's service is garbage since you have to walk to other side of the complex to catch it and it seems counter-productive to walk away from school to go to school.

Anyway, as a "traffic planner" sort of guy, I've been grappling fairly often in my mind the debate between Provo/BYU trying to get students across the highway and UDOT's need to keep cars flowing up the canyon.

Well tonight ... and it hurts to think about it, a girl was hit and killed by a car on University Avenue as she crossed. There are Rocky Flags, but even with them it's hard to see somebody coming, unless you know there's a crosswalk there. Everyone I talk to says they've all almost hit somebody there. It's also 1/2 way between light poles so it's really dark there.

Anyway, none of the TV stations are covering. KSL Radio is only because we called them to see what's up - and they haven't heard about it. My roommate saw the body lying in the street and the papers and bookstore bag that were flung across the highway. And I'm just now learning she's in my ward.

So I need to vent. Sorry if I'm not making any sense, but this really hits close to home.

Something NEEDS TO CHANGE!

THESE DANG ROCKY FLAGS DON'T CUT IT! YOU CAN'T HAVE HUNDREDS OF STUDENTS CROSS EVERY DAY IN A POOR VISIBILITY CROSSWALK. THIS NEEDS TO BE CHANGED.

I'm trying to vent constructively. I cropped in a refuge island. What we really need is a light too.

Maybe a light is needed. Anyway ... it's surreal. I probably didn't know the girl - I hear she just moved in. But it just makes me sick.
I hate to hearing things like this, very tramatic. I remember growing up in the Provo area, BYU at the time was very UN-pedestrian friendly. It was a gamble with your life trying to get around on bike or foot. I actually attended the U and I believe that it is far more pedestrian friendly then the Y. The surrounding major streets wrapping around campus has warning lights and cross walk stop lights in several critical areas. North Univ. Ave. is traffic hell.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 6:39 PM
Wen Lambo

I drove by this accident about a half hour after it happened. This is the third person I have seen the aftermath of getting hit at this same crosswalk.

I would even recommend building an elevated walkway, and it would also help out with traffic flow before and after BYU Football games.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 5:05 PM

Barn Inc. to add several hundred jobs to a Utah County workforce

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/251497/18/

"We are expanding now because we have the financial backing from private investors to start up operations," he said.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 1:20 PM

Organic grocer Sunflower Farmers markets announces stores in Murray and Orem

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...244114,00.html

The Orem store will be in the Festival shopping Center at 1357 S. State, next to University Mall.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 3:58 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
I drove by this accident about a half hour after it happened. This is the third person I have seen the aftermath of getting hit at this same crosswalk.

I would even recommend building an elevated walkway, and it would also help out with traffic flow before and after BYU Football games.
That's funny you mentioned that. I posted my pedestrian refuge island ideas on a Facebook group dedicated to getting a light put in at the crosswalk, and nearly everyone posting says they want a skywalk.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 1:31 PM

Payson opposing corridor plan - City fears UDOT proposal could cripple businesses

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...244699,00.html

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 6:04 AM

Springville to get second 5-story building along I-15

I was driving on I-15 in Springville recently and noticed a sign for an office building soon to be built, Sping Pointe. It actually looks very similar to the Neways Building about a mile south, also just off I-15.

Spring Point:

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite...lww2t006a00001
2103 West 500 North
5 Stories
90,000 SF

Neways:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN
2089 (West) Neways Dr (650 South)
5 Stories
85,000 SF

I realize this isn't big news compared to other projects in the region, but it's great for Springville!

Last edited by UV4EVER; Jan 20, 2008 at 6:30 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 2:49 PM

Actually, I think that's pretty big news for Provo and South, thanks for the heads-up UV4EVER. The more the southern portion of Utah Valley flourishes, the more build-up we'll see for Provo. My nephew is being transferred from Tucson to manage what will be a large home-improvement center for the southern portion of the Valley.

I like that Neways office building. It's pretty chic and upscale, but it needs some company. It looks pretty lonely where it's at right now. Another upscale office tower will look very cool there. OOOOkay, I know. It would be better short term, if we built it in downtown Provo.

loopnet.com
Well yes, It definately would have been nice to have seen this contructed in an appropriate area of Downtown Provo. And say about 25 stories taller. I imagine the gray will be a polished granite. Hey, I would like to see a taller version of something like this in Downtown Salt Lake City.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 20, 2008 at 3:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 7:14 PM
Bring out the cranes...

How about this?....

What if this building went from 5-story to 15-stories and have it in downtown Provo, Maybe across the street from the new Zion Bank tower site.

4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 2:27 PM

pleasant grove

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8043041

City's historic center is target of zoning change
Planning Commission to consider a proposal that would allow a 10-story development

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 2:32 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

That would be a GREAT addition to DT Provo, I actually like the design better at 15 stories, at 5 it looks a little squatty. What types of incentives does Provo have that they are offering to potential developers. I know the new Zions Bank Bldg had some incentives built into it, at least I think I remember reading that. Does Provo have an RDA similar to SLC?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 2:10 PM

Lehi City sets forth architectural design standards

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/252662/

Lehi City now has architectural standards for commercial and business buildings within its boundaries specifying exterior building material such as stucco, wood, rockwork, setbacks and varied window dressing to minimize the big box effect of large stores.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 2:14 PM

Lehi votes to increase city's size

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/252762/

Tuesday evening Lehi council menbers voted to increase the city's size by at least 12 percent when they unanimously approved the Holbrook annexation by resolution, a move that will eventually add more than 1,800 acres to the city area.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 6:21 AM

Downtown overhaul is moving too fast, say Pleasant Grove residents

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_8071402

The plan could also pave the way for developer Joe Spencer to build a 160-foot-high mixed-use project towering over mostly single-story homes.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 7:42 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE

Follow up...

UDOT closes crosswalk due to safety concerns
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2548252

So it looks like UDOT will do something about it.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 26, 2008, 12:55 PM

Utah Valley residents weigh in on transit plans

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...247382,00.html

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 12:56 AM

anyone know how the Pleasnt Grove Development is coming along???, how bout Midtown Village, last I saw it was looking great!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West