HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 9:46 PM

Well id rather have an ahl team. But at least its something. Copps is just too big for ohl hockey. The GTA doesnt support major jr. You have to go to guelph. Niagara kitchener before you get support.

This makes sense for Anadaluer. Cheaper transportation costs, no player salaries. Wonder if the team will surrvive though. The past jr teams in hamilton failed. I bet once the dust settles some AHL teams will be calling andaleur asking if he'd like to be an AHL affiliate again. Hamilton has never been an overly successful AHL market. But at the same time it hasn't ever been a major failure either. It's a steady market that the AHL im sure will look at in the future. Things are just crazy in the East right now. 5 teams moved to California. St johns losing its team to winnipeg/thunderbay and soon to lose another one to MTL. Manchester also lost its team to California. St. John's, Hamilton, and Manchester are good markets that will be without an AHL team.

Last edited by king10; Mar 12, 2015 at 10:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 10:00 PM

Yeah I don't know if I can get that excited for this. The budgetary impact of an AHL must be way more than an OHL team. I can't see Hamilton getting too excited over an OHL team, especially if it is mediocre team.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 11:14 PM

I'm surprised they're changing the name - there's some history there. However, I suppose when a team moves back to Belleville they can just take the old name back.

AHL hockey coming to Thunder Bay? That would be tremendous. I can only assume they have a new arena, though the old Fort William Gardens is a decent old barn in its own right. Way, way back, they did have professional hockey - Independent League affiliate for Ottawa if memory serves. I also seem to recall it being pretty well-supported. And I'm sure people will support this team, too.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I'm surprised they're changing the name - there's some history there. However, I suppose when a team moves back to Belleville they can just take the old name back.

AHL hockey coming to Thunder Bay? That would be tremendous. I can only assume they have a new arena, though the old Fort William Gardens is a decent old barn in its own right. Way, way back, they did have professional hockey - Independent League affiliate for Ottawa if memory serves. I also seem to recall it being pretty well-supported. And I'm sure people will support this team, too.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle16429856/

The Winnipeg Jets are exploring a move of their AHL farm team from St. John’s, N.L., to Thunder Bay, Ont., after a deal was announced to build a new $106-million “event centre” in the Lake Superior community.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1870158/wi...d-return-home/

The move is also still hinging on plans for a new waterfront arena and convention centre in Thunder Bay, which could be built by 2017.

“What would likely happen is that the Jets would have to move their farm team back to Winnipeg for 2015 through 2017… if everything goes well with Thunder Bay,” said Moore.

Also just like the Bulls name has some history to it. So does the Bulldogs name. It's been to 3 Calder cup Championships and won one under that name. Personally I like the idea they're sticking with the bulldogs name. It's been part of the city for over 20 years already.

Just like Winnipeg, you can bet if an OHL team comes back to Belleville it would be called the bulls. And just like if an NHL team went back to quebec, it would be called the nordiques, but when they moved they were renamed avalanche.

That plus Andelaur owns the bulldogs logo and name.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 12:32 AM

^Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 4:46 AM
Ham-burgher

I don't know if Hamilton's previous OHL experiences are a good gauge for what may happen today.

In the 1980s and '90s the feeling was NHL or bust. Aside from the city officially keeping a very thin toe in that door, does anyone in town really expect the NHL will ever set up shop here? The AHL came to town as the 'next best thing' but it really isn't. I've enjoyed the games mind you, but there have been few times I'd consider it great hockey.

I would expect major junior hockey to do at least as well as the AHL did. Especially since Andlauer can maintain the brand - he can likely keep the local partnerships and adjust marketing, and perhaps offer a bit better price on tickets. Community buy-in needs to be a bit different (e.g., billeting players) but I think potential is there and the connect with lower tier junior hockey is closer than that of the AHL, and there is lots of it in the region. Opportunities to build local rivalries are available now. And I too think FOC can be more intimate than people think.

I guess time will tell.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 10:15 AM

I personally would rather go see an OHL game than AHL. I went to a Kitchener Rangers game a few years ago and it was fantastic. I just hope eventually they become a decent team.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 10:38 AM

Intercity rivalry

OHL can have a real hometown pride? I was raised on the Greyhounds and the old NOHL and still you got the Sudbury-North Bay-Soo bragging rights thing.
You look at places that have OHL teams I checked last night and the London Knights have a waiting list for Season Ticket holders?
With teams closer you would have more out of town butts in our seats. SO local restaurants will profit. Hotels could lose as teams will drive home after the game but that would keep over head down.
In the Soo one major draw is that the arena is across the street from a shopping mall that is empty evenings and parking is free and easy to exit.
If the Soo (2nd overall as of last week) can with a population of 70,000 fill a 4500 seat arena nightly, we should do fine. I recall not that long ago going to Bulldog games with around 2000 in attendence
I know people in OHL towns, who are shift workers that split on season tickets. If you look on the London site they have a area where you can get a person's season ticket seat for a game they can't make.

It is late in the season but tickets look like an average of $20 so with groups and discount it could be a real family draw.
I just hope we get a team that will at least be in the running as that would help.
There is alot of talent here and it would be a venue to display it.
Just think a Memorial Cup played here? $$$$$$$$$
If the local restaurants in Jackson want to profit: Offer free parking on game nights from 4-5:30 ONLY for a 7 o'clock game. People would wander around in the mall and maybe grab a bite in the food court or restaurant?

Last edited by bornagainbiking; Mar 13, 2015 at 10:55 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 1:43 PM

The Memorial Cup is a big event, and Copps would be a logical place to hold it some point soon (it will be by far the biggest arena in the OHL, and I believe the event rotates between leagues). I worked in a hotel in London when the Memorial Cup was hosted (and the Knights won it) at the John Labatt Centre, and it was a very important events for hotels in the area. We were surprised by the effect- a number of fans from B.C. and Rimouski stayed for several days before or after to check out the sites, which seemed odd.

We’ll see how it goes. Teams like the Storm and the Rangers (not to mention the Knights) have big followings and real cultural importance in their communities. Why not the Bull(dog)s? I hope that the local businesses share some of bornagainbiking’s imagination and try to capitalize- it would be really nice to see people in Spitfires or Generals jerseys walking around downtown doing things on game nights.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:05 PM

I love hockey and I live 5 minutes from FirstOntario Centre. I never go to Bulldogs games, except for the one game each year when they play my favourite NHL team's affiliate. I'm certainly not going to go and cheer on the AHL version of the Montreal Canadiens.

An OHL team has no affiliation and can be cheered on by fans of any NHL team. I would expect attendance to be at least as good as the AHL Bulldogs.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I would expect major junior hockey to do at least as well as the AHL did. Especially since Andlauer can maintain the brand - he can likely keep the local partnerships and adjust marketing, and perhaps offer a bit better price on tickets.
Apparently, no change in current pricing.

http://www.900chml.com/2015/03/13/31825/

Just comparing current Bulldog ticket prices to some of their new OHL rivals:

Bulldogs: range from $24 to $35
Kitchener Rangers: $21.75 (age 13+) and $17.75 (12 and under);
Niagara IceDogs: $20 to $25
Mississauga Steelheads: $16.90 to $24.80 for adults
London Knights: $19.75, or $34 for club level
Guelph Storm: $24 for adults, $21 for students, $17 for children

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 6:02 PM

BIG fan of this move.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 2:23 AM

I wonder if Hamilton Bulldogs of OHL will have the same color as Bulldogs of AHL ??
but I know logo will stay the same.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey563 View Post
I wonder if Hamilton Bulldogs of OHL will have the same color as Bulldogs of AHL ??
but I know logo will stay the same.

They said theyre coming out with new jerseys. Will be interesting to see if they go back to gold and brown scheme now that they have no affiliation with montreal.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post
BIG fan of this move.
I think the AHL got the shaft in this city to be honest. I'd much rather have an AHL affiliate than an OHL team from the perspective of a hockey fan. The quality of hockey is higher, and you generally get to see high end NHL prospects on a regular basis (both your own and other teams)

Look at how many current players for the Habs spent time in Hamilton- the bulk of the lineup that is currently leading the league actually:
  • Subban
  • Gallagher
  • Tokarski
  • Beaulieu
  • Pacioretty
  • Desharnais
  • Price

Not to mention all the guys who came through Hamilton who were traded by the Habs and are still in the league.

I think this is a clear step down in quality for the city, speaking strictly from a hockey perspective. I'm happy they have a replacement tenant for the Bulldogs, but long term I've got to believe they still want an AHL squad at a minimum.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
The Memorial Cup is a big event, and Copps would be a logical place to hold it some point soon (it will be by far the biggest arena in the OHL, and I believe the event rotates between leagues). I worked in a hotel in London when the Memorial Cup was hosted (and the Knights won it) at the John Labatt Centre, and it was a very important events for hotels in the area. We were surprised by the effect- a number of fans from B.C. and Rimouski stayed for several days before or after to check out the sites, which seemed odd.

We’ll see how it goes. Teams like the Storm and the Rangers (not to mention the Knights) have big followings and real cultural importance in their communities. Why not the Bull(dog)s? I hope that the local businesses share some of bornagainbiking’s imagination and try to capitalize- it would be really nice to see people in Spitfires or Generals jerseys walking around downtown doing things on game nights.
Actually Edmonton Oil Kings won the memorial Cup in London last year beating Guelph 6-3

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
I think the AHL got the shaft in this city to be honest. I'd much rather have an AHL affiliate than an OHL team from the perspective of a hockey fan. The quality of hockey is higher, and you generally get to see high end NHL prospects on a regular basis (both your own and other teams)

Look at how many current players for the Habs spent time in Hamilton- the bulk of the lineup that is currently leading the league actually:
  • Subban
  • Gallagher
  • Tokarski
  • Beaulieu
  • Pacioretty
  • Desharnais
  • Price

Not to mention all the guys who came through Hamilton who were traded by the Habs and are still in the league.

I think this is a clear step down in quality for the city, speaking strictly from a hockey perspective. I'm happy they have a replacement tenant for the Bulldogs, but long term I've got to believe they still want an AHL squad at a minimum.
Agreed. Does hamilton want to compete against cities like Houston. Or cities like north bay?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 12:01 AM

^And let's not forget all the players that came through town under the Oilers' banner. It's been a good 20-year run. Anybody else at that Calder Cup winning game in 2007? Amazing...

In terms of buying the Bulls, I guess Andlauer has based this decision on the fact that a junior team is cheaper to operate and could draw a similar number of fans through the turnstiles. I guess...

I just don't see it working, however. A junior team is a funny thing and I really wonder what the interest level is in Hamilton. I hope I'm wrong.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^And let's not forget all the players that came through town under the Oilers' banner. It's been a good 20-year run. Anybody else at that Calder Cup winning game in 2007? Amazing...

In terms of buying the Bulls, I guess Andlauer has based this decision on the fact that a junior team is cheaper to operate and could draw a similar number of fans through the turnstiles. I guess...

I just don't see it working, however. A junior team is a funny thing and I really wonder what the interest level is in Hamilton. I hope I'm wrong.
Not to veer too far into a pure hockey discussion, but it speaks to the absolute crappiness of the Oilers organization that there really weren't any big time players developed their entire time in Hamilton- Higgins and Laraques are the two I remember as having some sort of impact, and Dennis Bonvie of all people was a fan favourite because he'd drop the gloves every game.

The Canadiens were the best thing to happen to the Bulldogs as far as quality hockey players was concerned.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 2:14 AM

Quote:
When they do hit the FirstOntario Centre ice in October, they'll be wearing the same uniforms as they do now. Same colours, same logo, same everything. Mostly because the time frame is too tight right now to make a significant change. But Andlauer says it's likely fans will have a say in a tweaking — or complete remake — of the colour scheme prior to the 2016-17 season.
http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...-affect-fans-/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation