HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
You are an optimistic dude, Mitchellk12!

I have serious doubts about the WTC building showing any activity until next Spring at best. Hopefully East tower starts this fall, but good weather window running out, but maybe once they get all the backfill moved they can start digging!

As for parcel D/E....I wish the City would have jumped on the momentum of Riverlanding No1 sales and offered up the property as potential buyers might have been more motivated. I do hope we see another tower on that site and one that is architecturally unique....just think of crossing Idylwyld bridge with Art Gallery/Riverlanding village on one side and a truly unique tower on the other!! We can dream.....

if it wasnt for the 3-day sellout of No1, i wouldnt be as optimistic for d/e. but seeing as it sold so fast, even from my point of view if i was a developer id be drawing up renderings fast and bug the city as much as i can do secure that parcel. id be happy with t he former 27 storey condo tower from the previous rendering to go on d/e...i think the style fits too. but seeing as that parcel could go up to 30 storeys, id like to see something that tall too--if something like that would happen lol.

overall, as i stated before, because of the pre sales for no1, (IMO)i think the mindset for developers has changed for planning future projects, and there will be less skepticism for any downtown proposal. in the next 3-5 years i expect tons of proposals for downtown.

Last edited by mitchellk12; Sep 14, 2017 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
if it wasnt for the 3-day sellout of No1, i wouldnt be as optimistic for d/e. but seeing as it sold so fast, even from my point of view if i was a developer id be drawing up renderings fast and bug the city as much as i can do secure that parcel. id be happy with t he former 27 storey condo tower from the previous rendering to go on d/e...i think the style fits too. but seeing as that parcel could go up to 30 storeys, id like to see something that tall too--if something like that would happen lol.

overall, as i stated before, because of the pre sales for no1, (IMO)i think the mindset for developers has changed for planning future projects, and there will be less skepticism for any downtown proposal. in the next 305 years i expect tons of proposals for downtown.
I too am optimistic for d/e. Urban Capital has hinted they will be back and d/e seems like the logical option. The success of No.1 has proven the appeal of RL, and It will only get better as the gallery opens along with its restaurant, the Victoria Bridge opens and the trails are re-connected, and No.1 starts to rise. (Just imagine if the Victoria Bridge had been an iconic pedestrian/cycle bridge!)

I am hopeful The Banks will become a more desirable location when the rest of RL fills in. I think it was just the wrong building in the wrong location to "kick off" RL as a place to live.

Maybe now is not the right time for Urban Capital (or another developer) to announce a new project at RL. But given the success of No.1 I have to assume some wheels are turning somewhere...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 9:15 PM

I have to say I am a bit surprised the commercial aspect of The Banks has been an utter failure....is there even one space leased or opened yet? I really thought there would be interest from some entrepreneurs for a lounge, coffee shop, diner, convenience store/small grocer, wine shop, etc. I guess there is still not the nucleus of population there yet to warrant service type commercial businesses. Hopefully one day.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 9:17 PM

Maybe the Farmers Market should expand into The Banks commercial areas.....love to see our Farmers Market take on a larger presence like the one in Halifax. (comparable in terms of metro area)

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
I have to say I am a bit surprised the commercial aspect of The Banks has been an utter failure....is there even one space leased or opened yet? I really thought there would be interest from some entrepreneurs for a lounge, coffee shop, diner, convenience store/small grocer, wine shop, etc. I guess there is still not the nucleus of population there yet to warrant service type commercial businesses. Hopefully one day.
Given what they were trying to sell 450 sqft bachelor pads for I am wondering if the space is being leased for just to steep a price. With the economy and the types of small businesses and startups going in the area Its probably just to expensive for that client base.
Somebody will get in there eventually though.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 1:00 AM

^^^^ From Sask Crescent

^^^^ From east (south?) side of Victoria Bridge

^^^^ From Rotary Park

^^^^ From Sid Buckwold Bridge. The entire time I rode past the load on the gray crane did not move. It appears to be a running air compressor.

^^^^ The second floor columns on the condo are underway. However I could not tell if the second floor has been poured. Usually the floors are poured before the columns start.

^^^^ Both cranes are just sitting on the ground. The gray crane has a jacking rig on it but the red crane does not. The cranes are sitting on the concrete pad and bulkhead (pictured in an earlier post).

^^^^ From 19th St. The boom on the red crane is now much shorter.

^^^^ The dirt pile is almost gone but the hole is still very large.

Last edited by alt_center; Sep 15, 2017 at 1:45 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 1:15 AM

I really appreciate the pics, alt_center! Thank you!

It's an impressive sight coming over the Buckwold Bridge.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 4:20 AM

Thanks for the great pictures alt_center. That grey pagnotta crane has been busy the last 5 years. I believe it was used on the Art Gallery, The Banks, and the College Quarter Hotel.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
It's a real shame that MEC didn't go in there as originally rumoured, due to the space being too small. I think that would have really changed the dynamic of that building (I guess there can be a lot said for securing an anchor tenant before building). Granted, Escape Sports is close by, but I don't think it has the same mainstream appeal as MEC does.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 12:43 AM

Sept. 15, 2017

^^^^ Based on the size of the second floor columns, I estimate the first floor columns are about 12 feet. A large hydraulic piston has been installed on the gray crane's jacking rig.

^^^^ Backfilling progressing nicely. They are alternating sand/fabric/sand ... etc up the side of the foundation. No clay or dirt up against the concrete. I stand by my previous estimate that there is nowhere near enough material left in the dirt pile to fill the hole.

^^^^ This image shows a first floor column half cut. I first noticed this several days ago (the same day I posted a picture of the removed column). I wonder if they accidentally started removing the wrong column, and decided they could repair it once the mistake was noticed?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 1:57 PM

Nice pictures, like the detail. Maybe after the first one they were just checking the rebar making sure the same mistake wasn't in that one also. Guess only the construction crews will know for sure.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 3:19 PM

Unlike Capital Pointe in Regina, it's nice to see progress with this project in the Bridge City.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Unlike Capital Pointe in Regina, it's nice to see progress with this project in the Bridge City.
It's been a long time coming! I clearly remember when the city first started acquiring land for the south downtown redevelopment in the '70s. If someone had said then it would take 40 years to get to this point I'd have called them crazy (or worse).

Hopefully the Capital Pointe excavation does not get filled in and somehow the project goes ahead in some form or another.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 4:15 PM

We have lift-off! Great new perspectives of the site from the riverbank and such, so... Thanks! The grey crane will be attached from the outside, the red is for the hotel, they're running out of dirt so they'll have to dig a new hole. Then they'll need a new crane for an office building that lacks a name. Could the 'potash' resource merger create enough demand to finish this project? Now there's a pipe dream! Thank Jr. it'll soon be legal! (I don't use, just following my thought train;>)

Last edited by Ricopedra; Sep 20, 2017 at 5:45 AM. Reason: highjacking

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:17 PM

Here's an article on river landing and some other city properties.

http://www.westerninvestor.com/news/...ate-1.22800207

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 12:49 AM

Sept. 20 pics

^^^^ Only a tiny pile of dirt left.

^^^^ View from 3rd Ave (apologies for the backlighting).

^^^^ Survey stakes in for office tower parkade shoring.

^^^^ So far they are leaving the cylindrical forms in place. Since the columns will be exposed I wonder if that is to leave them protected for now.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 1:12 AM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 1:13 PM

Yes the forms will most likely stay in place for round columns seen as that is lowest priority right now... they will probably do that when it does becomes an issue, right now their main focus is getting to the top as fast as possible. Knowing pagnotta and their speed... I'm gonna take a wild guess they will be very close to 10 floors at Christmas.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 7:44 PM

Nice shots Echoes and Alt, just imaging what it will look like with 3 cranes in the picture, anyways hoping.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Here's an article on river landing and some other city properties.

http://www.westerninvestor.com/news/...ate-1.22800207
Would be neat to see the north tower go too like he said, 2-3 years for 4 towers. I know that wont happen but good article to read.

Thanks

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan