HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 9:08 PM

If Minnesota is able to beat Vegas (hell, even if not, forcing game 7 after being down 3-1 is big), I don't see any reason why the Jets couldn't put up a fight against Colorado.

The year we went to the WCF everyone had Nashville pegged to win the cup, they were "unbeatable" and fresh of a SCF appearance. I don't see any difference between the two situations. I actually think Nashville was far and away the favourite over any east teams where I don't think Colorado is necessarily leaps and bounds better than Tampa, Boston or Vegas this year. Even Carolina is dangerous and deep.

I also think that while the east and west still definitely each have a distinct style of play, I don't think the west style is better or generally trumps the east anymore like it used to. Just different. Will be really interesting to see if we end up with 2 east or 2 west teams in the final. I'm pulling for a Winnipeg-Minnesota SCF, otherwise known as Bettman's Nightmare.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
If Minnesota is able to beat Vegas (hell, even if not, forcing game 7 after being down 3-1 is big), I don't see any reason why the Jets couldn't put up a fight against Colorado.

The year we went to the WCF everyone had Nashville pegged to win the cup, they were "unbeatable" and fresh of a SCF appearance. I don't see any difference between the two situations. I actually think Nashville was far and away the favourite over any east teams where I don't think Colorado is necessarily leaps and bounds better than Tampa, Boston or Vegas this year. Even Carolina is dangerous and deep.

I also think that while the east and west still definitely each have a distinct style of play, I don't think the west style is better or generally trumps the east anymore like it used to. Just different. Will be really interesting to see if we end up with 2 east or 2 west teams in the final. I'm pulling for a Winnipeg-Minnesota SCF, otherwise known as Bettman's Nightmare.
If WPG makes it to the 3rd round, it will be 2 east and 2 west. And based on the re-ranking that happen at the the third. If both MIN and WPG make it, they won't face each other. So it's entirely possible for WPG-MIN final!

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTL View Post
Had a browse. Man, some of the naysayers. Wayward_Prince went from 'Winnipeg can't afford and won't support the NHL EVA!' to 'yeeeeahhhh we got a team back!!!'. How utterly manic and bi-polar. Then there were two Deadmontonian posters, SHOFEAR and feepa.......so bitter and jealous that Winnipeg was coming back to the NHL. So utterly angry those two were. It was hilarious honestly. Now, they must be crying bitter salty tears in their flat and bland beers. Love it.

But it was still fun read with all the support from the rest of the country at the time
Ha... some of the Edmontonians were so salty, I remember that. I hope they got over it. Everyone else was pretty pleased about it... it was a feel-good story for Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
If WPG makes it to the 3rd round, it will be 2 east and 2 west. And based on the re-ranking that happen at the the third. If both MIN and WPG make it, they won't face each other. So it's entirely possible for WPG-MIN final!
That would be awesome. You have to feel pretty good about the Jets' chances heading into the next round... obviously it was a grueling 4 games but at least there's time to rest while Toronto and Montreal drag it out. Hopefully their series goes to a seventh game.

Thinking back to the 2018 playoffs it seemed in hindsight that the 7 game series vs. Presidents' Trophy winning Nashville drained the Jets... I think it would have been a much different story vs. Vegas in the WCF had they played someone else in the second round and made it a 5 or 6 game series.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 3:08 PM

It's a tale of two worlds. There was an article on the stats of 4 game sweeps vs longer series.

Colorado will have been 'resting' for over a week by the time their series get's going. Which is actually a disadvantage based on historical stats. Same with Winnipeg. They'll be rested up for roughly a week by the time the series gets started up.

While at the same time a 7 game series can be grueling. But keeps players in game shape.

I remember back to the Ottawa Anaheim Cup final. Ottawa was off for 10 days before the final series got going. They go their ass kicked. Maybe for a couple reasons. But being off for long periods maybe isn't the greatest thing either.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTL View Post
Had a browse. Man, some of the naysayers. Wayward_Prince went from 'Winnipeg can't afford and won't support the NHL EVA!' to 'yeeeeahhhh we got a team back!!!'. How utterly manic and bi-polar. Then there were two Deadmontonian posters, SHOFEAR and feepa.......so bitter and jealous that Winnipeg was coming back to the NHL. So utterly angry those two were. It was hilarious honestly. Now, they must be crying bitter salty tears in their flat and bland beers. Love it.

But it was still fun read with all the support from the rest of the country at the time
This was the last post made by OTL, and now he is banned. Is this really the reason he was banned? Pretty weak decision if it was.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 7:38 PM

I have to say, whoever ends up winning tomorrow... neither of these teams scare me the way they played this series.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 3:14 PM

Not to get ahead of ourselves again.

Colorado scares the shit out of me as a 3rd round opponent. We'll see if Vegas shows up for game 2.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 3:16 PM

I didn't see the game but I was surprised by the score. Has Vegas ever been shredded like that in a playoff game before?

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 3:17 PM

Not sure.

Ryan Reeves was at it again. Received a match penalty for grinding Graves face into the ice with his knee. Colorado got a 9min PP. Ya that's right haha

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 8:11 PM

I’m happy if Vegas gets shredded. I never liked the way the league bent over backwards to make sure they were an instant success. Re the Jets, the longer the Toronto series goes on, the better it has been for the Jets in my view.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 9:25 PM

It'll be interesting to see how Seattle works out compared with Vegas. They both have the same path.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 2:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Not sure.

Ryan Reeves was at it again. Received a match penalty for grinding Graves face into the ice with his knee. Colorado got a 9min PP. Ya that's right haha
And the Vegas coach Da Boor was going on about what clean hockey player Reaves was…..uh no!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 1:54 PM
What could go wrong?

I'm a bit worried about playing Montreal now. I believed that if Winnipeg faced the Leafs that they would beat them. The Habs and Jets were pretty close over the regular season although in my mind the Jets are the better team...The Jets should have buried the Habs down the stretch had they not had their epic late season collapse. Maybe the Jets were rope-a-doping everyone!

Jets in 6
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 2:02 PM

I'm not overly worried about Montreal - their scariest asset is Price, who Hellebuyck can easily match. They don't have the depth we do, or as much high end scoring for that matter.

I also think the Habs coming off a long 7 game series, having one travel day off, then playing 4 games in 6 nights will be a tall task. Jets need to take advantage in games 1 and 2 when they'll likely be pretty tired. Although that all being said I didn't find MTL-TOR to be very physical or gritty or spirited at all... but I think that again bodes well for the Jets because they can do all that.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 2:16 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
And the Vegas coach Da Boor was going on about what clean hockey player Reaves was…..uh no!
Yeah, that's a bit of a stretch and a complete fail.

Go Jets!

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 3:51 PM

Hellebuyck NOT nominated for Vezina, hope that's extra motivation to play lights out!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 3:53 PM

crazy $, 14 of the top 15 Cap Hit players out of the playoffs (Price MTL only one in)

https://puckpedia.com/players

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 6:05 PM

Time to kick some Habs butt.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Time to kick some Habs butt.
Would have been nice if Bucky and the team were not sleeping through the first period. We will see what the second brings. But if it's the same. Jets might get swept this round.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Would have been nice if Bucky and the team were not sleeping through the first period. We will see what the second brings. But if it's the same. Jets might get swept this round.
Wow. Overreact much? And you were saying this after one period.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan