HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 8:55 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Other than his stance for pro-urban boundary expansion, he would be a nice change. If Fred runs too, they'll probably be competing for similar demographics which worries me if old man Bratina sneaks in again. So hope that does not happen or this city can peel back the progress.
I don't know... it may be that Fred and Bobra both appeal to the older voters and the split happens with them.

That said, I can see one or both of them deciding it's not worth it. Fred looks tired (well, he always has, but seems especially so lately). Bratina hasn't seemed to gather the attention he craves by making his early unofficial announcement.

Loomis will probably need to hope the younger crowd turns up to vote. But municipal voter rates tend to trail provincial ones by a good margin, and the poor turnout for the latest Ontario election doesn't bode well (unless "folks" had just had enough of the middling government and have decided that their politics will be local).

We should see some more change around the council table though, aside from that stemming from the people who are not running again. It will be interesting to see if Whitehead blowing multiple gaskets gets him written off as a kook or wins praise from his ward's residents.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 9:09 PM

The Urban Boundary issue will get decided for Hamilton by the MMAH in favour of expansion shortly anyway given the signals the PCs have given on the issue.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 2:19 AM

Other PC signals:

With 83 MPPs, up from the 76 his party won in the 2018 election, Ford is looking at expanding the cabinet from the current 28 members.

Newcomers the premier is considering tapping for ministerial posts include: Patrice Barnes (Ajax); Andrew Dowie (Windsor-Tecumseh); George Pirie (Timmins); Charmaine Williams (Brampton Centre); Rob Flack (Elgin-Middlesex-London); and Jess Dixon (Kitchener South-Hespeler).

“There are geographic considerations now that we’ve won seats in Windsor and Timmins and Hamilton,” noted the second Tory.

Ford has already telegraphed that he may appoint a regional minister from Hamilton — either newly elected Neil Lumsden, a Canadian Football League legend, or second-term MPP Donna Skelly (Flamborough-Glanbrook).

“I want to thank Neil Lumsden and Donna Skelly, two great, great MPPs. They’re both going to play a critical role in our government,” the premier said June 3.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 11:08 PM
It's Hammer Time

Bob Bratina makes bid to be Hamilton’s next mayor official
Former MP and mayor says city needs to bolster economic development

https://www.thespec.com/news/council...-official.html

Bob Bratina has officially entered the race to become Hamilton’s next mayor.

Bratina registered his nomination papers at city hall Tuesday morning after initially announcing his intention to run in late March.

The former mayor and ex-Liberal MP said affordability, city governance and the “ongoing controversy” of Hamilton’s LRT project compelled him to seek the chain of office.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 12:14 AM

Ugh

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 9:40 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Bob Bratina makes bid to be Hamilton’s next mayor official
I have two words... FUCK THAT!

I'm backing Keanin Loomis for a multitude of reasons that aren't Eisenberger and especially not Bratina. We need visionaries leading this city for a change!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 5:33 PM
Ham-burgher

I'm not sure what "ongoing controversy" there is about LRT. It's moving ahead, some people agree with it, some don't. There's no controversy unless he's planning to create one... which he probably will try to do:

Quote:
Bratina said the project would “live and die on its own merits,” but argued LRT’s operating costs were still uncertain. Moreover, he argued, $3.4 billion in capital funds would be better spent on existing infrastructure needs, including crumbling roads.

“Do you want these roads fixed now? Or in seven years do you want to ride a street car?”

And this issue about the tax base was WAY WORSE when he was on council and then mayor; little was happening, hopes were still just glimmers... I don't know what the assessment balance is today, but the situation has likely been improving with all the commercial/industrial development, so I feel like political interference is the worst thing that can happen. Make sure the ship is being steered on course, for sure, but don't be screaming and throwing daggers (pens?) from the bridge.

Quote:
One of Hamilton’s big challenges is “an imbalance in property tax ratios,” he said, referring to the heavier burden residents carry compared to industry. “So we really need to build the economic development side.”

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
I have two words... FUCK THAT!

I'm backing Keanin Loomis for a multitude of reasons that aren't Eisenberger and especially not Bratina. We need visionaries leading this city for a change!
....Oh I bloody well second that!!! Fuck him and his schtick!!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 1:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger announced he is not seeking re-election in the upcoming municipal election.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 2:12 PM

great news. Gives Loomis a much better chance.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 4:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

I hope Whitehead doesn't seek re-election. It seems like the last term was difficult to say the least.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2022, 5:27 PM
Ham-burgher

Hasn't he flirted with the idea of running for mayor in the past?

I'd love to see him try.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 1:44 AM
It's Hammer Time

Andrea Horwath sends strongest signal yet she’ll run for mayor of Hamilton
Former NDP leader Andrea Horwath has sent her strongest signal yet she will run for mayor of Hamilton in the fall.

https://www.thespec.com/ts/politics/...mended_for_you

Former NDP leader Andrea Horwath has sent her strongest signal yet she will run for mayor of Hamilton in the fall.

The longtime MPP for Hamilton Centre dropped hints Monday after Mayor Fred Eisenberger announced he would not seek re-election Oct. 24.

“I’m humbled that Fred considers me a strong candidate for mayor of our great city,” Horwath said in a statement thanking Eisenberger for his years of service.

“I’m not ready today to make any announcements about Hamilton’s municipal election. But I can tell you that my heart is always in Hamilton,” added Horwath, who faces an August 19 deadline for filing nomination papers.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 2:37 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Moreover, Whitehead has said he’ll seek re-election in the Oct. 24 municipal vote but most recently told council he plans to return to sick leave due to his deteriorating health.

So far, two candidates — Kojo Damptey and Brian Lewis — have officially entered the Ward 14 race, but the incumbent hasn’t registered.
https://www.thespec.com/news/council...mended_for_you

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 2:52 AM
Hammer'd

"I'm not going to come into work but I do intend to keep my job" basically
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 7:45 PM
Ham-burgher

See ya Lloyd.

Ancaster Coun. Lloyd Ferguson decides to end his 29-year political career this October

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%...s-october.html

Old Posted Jul 24, 2022, 4:35 AM
Concerned Citizen

This week I have had two calls from two different polling companies regarding the municipal election. The first one was earlier this week, can't remember the company name but todays call was Mainstreet.

Both seemed to revolve around the mayoral race and both mentioned Andrea Horwath. They also went through some issues and what should be priority for council.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 9:18 PM
It's Hammer Time

Rumour is tomorrow Andrea Horwath will join the race for mayor.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Rumour is tomorrow Andrea Horwath will join the race for mayor.
This is what I've heard too

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 1:00 PM
It's Hammer Time

Andrea Horwath running for mayor of Hamilton to help city 'realize its potential'
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...lton-1.6530984

Andrea Horwath says she is running for mayor in Hamilton to help the city "realize its potential."

The former leader of the Ontario New Democrat Party (NDP) is set to make a formal announcement Tuesday morning that she will leave her post as MPP for Hamilton Centre to enter the mayoral race.

"The work I've done all my life has been for Hamiltonians and this would be a really exciting time to be part of the realizing of the great opportunities that are ahead of us," she told CBC Hamilton in an interview on Monday, ahead of the public announcement.

Horwath joins three others in the race for the job: former mayor Bob Bratina, newcomer to politics Keanin Loomis and labour advocate Ejaz Butt. Current Mayor Fred Eisenberger announced last month he would not be seeking re-election.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy