HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 12:37 PM

Application to build Two towers on a city parking garage at 170 Slater street up on DevApp

one fronting Slater Street (25-storeys) and one fronting laurier Avenue West (26-storeys).

https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...4-0026/details

Last edited by SL123; May 2, 2024 at 12:50 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 12:55 PM

^Interesting. I thought I had seen a proposal for that lot (similar to the BMO building next door) several years ago.

The height is to be expected (view planes) but the form & design overall seem good. The towers remind me a lot of the west Tribeca tower; square, no frills, grey/aluminium). Bonus points that it includes 2 towers and replaces a parking garage; double whammy!

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
^Interesting. I thought I had seen a proposal for that lot (similar to the BMO building next door) several years ago.

The height is to be expected (view planes) but the form & design overall seem good. The towers remind me a lot of the west Tribeca tower; square, no frills, grey/aluminium). Bonus points that it includes 2 towers and replaces a parking garage; double whammy!
Thread moved to the one created in 2009. The original tower was quite similar to the BMO tower, but wider with a curved wall. Rendering unforutnately has been lost. If I find it, I'll re-post it.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 3:35 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Thread moved to the one created in 2009. The original tower was quite similar to the BMO tower, but wider with a curved wall. Rendering unforutnately has been lost. If I find it, I'll re-post it.
Done: I added the original renderings to the first post in the thread.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 3:35 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

170 Slater St | 76+79m | 25+26f | Proposed

Great-West Life Realty Advisors (GWLRA) is proposing a purpose built rental apartment development at 170 Slater Street. The proposed development is on the eastern half of one large property of 8010,7 sm which presently contains a 19 storey office building (269 Laurier) on the western portion of the site with a small park facing Slater and a three level outdoor parking structure on the eastern portion. The parking structure will be demolished and replaced by the proposed project. The office building and park will remain and be part of the overall site plan. There is a 16 car surface parking area between the office building and the park which must continue to be accessible during and after construction of the proposed development.

The area of the portion of the site proposed for development is approximately 4271 sm and measures 50m in width and 85 m in length. A vehicular driveway provides access from Laurier Street to the existing surface parking in front of the office building.

Extensive studies were carried out to determine the massing for this building. The optimal design configuration proved to be a two tower composition connected by a podium. The area of each tower is in the 800 sm range, making them point towers as opposed to slab towers and reducing the impact of the shadows they project. The two tower approach also improves the quality of the suites keeping common areas to a minimum and offering more corner suites.

The height of the towers was determined by the angular plane protecting views to Parliament Hill and the Peace Tower. No part of the building exceeds the limits imposed for height. The tower on Slater will have 25 floors and the one on Laurier 22 floors.

There will be two levels of underground parking for the residents with a total of 160 car parking stalls, 3 delivery bays, and 4 universal access stalls. There will be bike storage at the ground floor level for 50% of the suites (293 spots).

The project will be built in two phases. The first will include the south tower, the podium between the towers and the parking levels below this area. The second will include the north tower and the parking levels below it. There will be 586 suites in total with 10% studio, 67% one bedroom, 18% two bedroom + den, and 5% three bedroom suites. Thus 50% of the suites will be able to accommodate larger households and families.

Architect: NEUF

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...4-0026/details

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Last edited by rocketphish; May 2, 2024 at 3:50 PM. Reason: Added parking specs

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 8:41 PM

Looks great and glad to see more residential development in the CBD!

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 9:16 PM

It would be nice to see half (if not all) of that surface parking give way to a slightly larger "park".

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
It would be nice to see half (if not all) of that surface parking give way to a slightly larger "park".
The should get rid of the small parking lot in front of the BMO tower and turn it into a park.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 10:05 AM

The bear is fun! I'm assuming that's on the east facing wall?

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawacurious View Post
The bear is fun! I'm assuming that's on the east facing wall?
The elevation with the bear mural is labeled "North side facade in the interim period between the first phase and second phase," the south tower being phase one. Would be wonderful to see, but we can bear-ly (hehe) get permanent murals here!

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 2:40 PM

I bet the mural is just there for the renders. They won't bother paying on the actual thing leaving it as a blank wall. At least that's what usually happens.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Done: I added the original renderings to the first post in the thread.
Awesome, thanks rocketphish!

Linking the proposal. No doubt it will be a high quality project based on Livmore Westboro. Wouldn't call these point towers though, because they don't have a distinctive top, not that it matters because they will barely visible on the skyline.

I did like the office proposal a decade ago, but in hindsight, this is probably a better project.

Surprised to see the interim mural as I would assume they'd build tower 2 as soon as tower 1 is complete.

Agree on the park(ing). None of the other downtown banks have parking, why does this one have some? Anyone know how it works? Is it free if you park for less than 30 minutes or something?

Old Posted May 5, 2024, 5:59 PM

I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. It looks similar to a lot of the condos built in the 2000s, green glass included, which is on par with uninspiring Ottawa designs. However, the fact that it's filling in another waste of space parking lot in the core makes it a thumbs up for me.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 12:32 AM

This would have been such a cool spot for a 40 and a 45.

Interesting roofline, accent lighting, quality materials....

Oh well, Kowloon isn't all that bad is it?

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 7:07 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

GWL Realty Advisors proposes two-tower mixed-use complex for Slater Street

David Sali, OBJ
May 8, 2024 2:16 PM ET

A prominent North American real estate firm is looking to build two highrises on Slater Street that would add hundreds of residential units and new retail space to the core as the effort to revitalize Ottawa’s downtown takes centre stage.

In planning documents recently filed with the city, GWL Realty Advisors says its proposal includes a pair of towers at 170 Slater St. between Bank and O’Connor streets.

The development would occupy the eastern half of a two-acre property that is now occupied by a GWL-managed 19-storey office building at 269 Laurier Ave., a three-level parking garage and a small park. The garage would be demolished to make way for the new project, while the existing office tower and park would be retained and integrated into the development.

GWL’s proposal features a 26-storey tower on the south side of the property facing Laurier Avenue and a 25-storey highrise facing Slater Street. The two buildings would be connected by a six-storey podium.

A design brief filed with the proposal says most of the ground floor of the buildings would be occupied by “small-scale retail commercial businesses” that will be accessible from Slater Street and Laurier Avenue. The rest of the buildings would contain a total of 586 rental apartments, the majority being one-bedroom suites and the remainder a mix of studio, two- and three-bedroom units.

According to the original planning documents from last December, a two-level underground parking garage would have 160 spots for cars. That number was lowered to 128 in the site plan control application summary filed with the city this week, which said the garage would include 297 bicycle parking spaces.

The design plan from Neuf Architects says the site “offers an opportunity to create a mid-block pedestrian link in the form of a woonerf, or shared street,” adding vehicular traffic “will be limited to parking access and drop off to the proposed apartment building.”

The shared street will be a “welcoming public space,” the architecture firm says, featuring “urban furniture” as well as trees and other plants. The firm says the proposal aims to meet Ottawa Official Plan guidelines that encourage the creation of “15-minute neighbourhoods” in which amenities are easily accessible on foot or via public transit.

GWL says it plans to build the project in two phases. The south tower would be completed first along with the podium, followed by the north tower. The underground parkade will also be constructed in two phases.

The firm says the proposed development “meets all zoning provisions” but did not provide a timeline for construction. GWL officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Wednesday.

A subsidiary of the Great-West Life Assurance Company, GWL Realty Advisors currently manages 1.8 million square feet of commercial real estate in Ottawa. In addition to 269 Laurier Ave., the firm’s other holdings include 219 Laurier Ave., 90 Elgin St., 200 Kent St. and 255 Albert St.

The proposal comes as city leaders look for ways to attract more residents to the core to make up for the exodus of commuters who used to fuel the downtown economy but who have increasingly worked from home since the pandemic.

The Slater Street development site is across the street from L’Esplanade Laurier, a one-million-square-foot federal government office complex that is on a list of properties slated for disposal over the next decade as the feds look to shrink their real estate footprint.

A report issued earlier this year by a task force examining ways to revitalize Ottawa’s downtown called L’Esplanade Laurier a “prime candidate” for redevelopment.

That report included a concept plan that suggested the east tower of the two-building complex could be converted into housing and retail space, while the west tower could be torn down and replaced with a park, townhouses and amenities such as a playground.

https://obj.ca/gwl-realty-advisors-e...slater-street/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa