HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:04 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyah View Post
If you’re talking about London it already does reflect its size pretty well, when compared to say Halifax or KWC
I'd say it has height but I can't be the only person to notice the lack of density.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:32 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I completely agree, London punches way above it's weight in the highrise department.
I've always thought the complete opposite. London's skyline is small for a metro of 540,000.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:38 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I'd say it has height but I can't be the only person to notice the lack of density.
You aren't. Halifax, which is 20% smaller than London, has a bigger and denser skyline. Halifax punches above its weight, London punches below its weight.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I've always thought the complete opposite. London's skyline is small for a metro of 540,000.
I completley disagree, because in that metro it includes places like St Thomas, Strathroy, Port Stanley, and other towns that arent conected to London in any way, not even busses. And KWC is about that size and look at the skyline there

Last edited by Seyah; Jun 26, 2019 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 4:31 AM

Quote:
It certainley lacks density, but now the Richmond Row area is getting dense with Azure, 515 Richmond, 131 King and the two on that Talbot complex. That area will look more downtown than the offices around Dundas and Wellington. Closer to the river. Its gonna look great in two years time, And by the end of the year at least 2 will already be claerly in the skyline. Things are really looking up.

131 King Street

515 Richmond Street

Riverwalk

Talbot/Dufferin/Fullarton (Dont know the actual name, please lmk)

Last edited by Seyah; Jun 26, 2019 at 4:45 AM. Reason: links

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
You aren't. Halifax, which is 20% smaller than London, has a bigger and denser skyline. Halifax punches above its weight, London punches below its weight.
Denser sure. But again this goes back to Londons shitty location. Imagine just Londons current buildings built up to the water like Halifax, If locations swapped London would be leagues and leagues ahead of Halifax in every measure

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 12:11 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyah View Post
Denser sure. But again this goes back to Londons shitty location. Imagine just Londons current buildings built up to the water like Halifax, If locations swapped London would be leagues and leagues ahead of Halifax in every measure
Um...if you say so.

To the layperson I'd say London really doesn't look as bulked up as Halifax even if it has the advantage in height. To each their own but I don't really understand how your eyes work differently than ours. You can see it exceptionally clearly just by looking at Google Maps and the sea of parking lots in London. Halifax is way denser and it's odd that anybody would deny it. As was said above, Halifax punches above its size while London punches below. Those projects pictured above will make a huge difference and are going to look fantastic. They may well make the difference in how London is perceived.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 1:59 PM

I completely disagree that London's skyline is unimpressive. Compared to just about any North American city of under 500,000, London's skyline is fantastic. Halifax has a good one too even if it's a bit lower, the sheer density really does a lot. But Seyah is right, a waterside location really boosts a skyline's appearance, and London still looks great even without that major advantage.

At first glance, London looks like Winnipeg in this pic Seyah posted:

...which is saying something, given that Winnipeg is a considerably larger city.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 5:53 PM

I'd say London's skyline is about average for a city of 390,000 people. Once these 5 or so towers are built, it will be an improvement. London is not as dense as Halifax, but hey - we aren't Halifax. We certainly have taller buildings and proposals for what that's worth.

Oh and that above picture is missing some of the newer towers.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 6:53 PM
Volatile Pacivist

From a purely skyline perspective, I actually find the Halifax skyline less attractive now with the additional density of the last decade because it's become such a table top with little in terms of peaks or focal points. I'm grateful for the increased density from a planning perspective of course since it's brought more people and activity downtown and covered some unsightly vacant or underutilized lots, but the skyline has gone from being sort of cool and interesting for a city its size to being... bland.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Um...if you say so.

To the layperson I'd say London really doesn't look as bulked up as Halifax even if it has the advantage in height. To each their own but I don't really understand how your eyes work differently than ours. You can see it exceptionally clearly just by looking at Google Maps and the sea of parking lots in London. Halifax is way denser and it's odd that anybody would deny it. As was said above, Halifax punches above its size while London punches below. Those projects pictured above will make a huge difference and are going to look fantastic. They may well make the difference in how London is perceived.
Really dont know what youre trying to argue when i agreed that London is decently less dense. I was disagreeing with saying that London punched below its weight. Density doesnt mean much when buildings are very similar heights all in the same area. Heres an apartment complex on Wonderland that you would probably love because even though the buildings look the same and are the same height, at least its dense

Last edited by Seyah; Jun 26, 2019 at 9:06 PM. Reason: more

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 9:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
From a purely skyline perspective, I actually find the Halifax skyline less attractive now with the additional density of the last decade because it's become such a table top with little in terms of peaks or focal points. I'm grateful for the increased density from a planning perspective of course since it's brought more people and activity downtown and covered some unsightly vacant or underutilized lots, but the skyline has gone from being sort of cool and interesting for a city its size to being... bland.
I think Halifax's skyline has gotten better and there are lots of nice new buildings in the pipeline. It's worth mentioning though that while downtown Halifax is pretty heavily planned, there's been no attempt to make the skyline appealing and in many cases the rules imposed do the opposite. The viewplanes are frustum shaped (bulky boxes) and encourage intensification in massive blobs as long as everything is below a certain height.

There's no allowance at all for the odd landmark highrise, and there's no planning distinction between height due to usable space and ornamentation, so it costs a lot to build something like a spire. All of the view rules are about managing views of natural or historic features from the city.

We might actually see more diversity of styles in outer urban and suburban areas. The average quality will be higher in the urban core but it will be a lot of 20 storey stuff that just adds to the tabletop effect.

What the rules (and the city's older, smaller block and street pattern) has been good for is keeping the developments relatively slender and the street level frontages varied and well scaled.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:09 AM

Saskatoon, the old and the new:

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 9:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Not sure if this one's been posted before. I think it was taken last year.. or maybe 2 years ago?

Source

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 10:36 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I like how all the highrises and midrises make it look like a major city.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 12:38 AM
Hmm....

Been a while since Regina's made an appearance around here, so here are a few courtesy of the Tourism Regina Instagram

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 12:51 AM
Mooderator

Nice pics Nathan. The first one looks like smog (boo), but pretty sure it's fog (yay).

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 1:53 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Nice pics Nathan. The first one looks like smog (boo), but pretty sure it's fog (yay).
I believe your latter assumption is correct in this case, though Regina has had smoke roll in from the more severe wildfires in Alberta and Northern Sask over the last few years.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 1:58 AM
ARTchitecture

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 2:29 AM

Kitchener, by myself:
MSP 20190625-IMG_4263 by Matt, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada