HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Lights would be ridiculous. Typical Winnipeg response.
I agree. It seems like there are too many traffic lights and stop signs going up all the time.

Last edited by DowntownBooster; May 30, 2017 at 11:55 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 5:06 PM

I've driven those streets many times during rush hour, and yes, they get somewhat congested. Somewhat. And some of that is influenced by the ongoing road or building construction going on.

So what gives and who cares? Go to gastown in Vancouver during rush hour. Traffic. Go to Yorkville in Toronto during rush hour. Traffic.

This happens.

Neighbourhood or not, these are primarily roads and we're overthinking it. The City hasn't made it easy to get Northbound from Portage and Main, so people do what they can. Between the one ways and especially the inability to turn right onto portage from Fort, you end up with a super congested McDermott and Bannatyne, both one ways, and people try to go through the exchange rather than wait forever to turn left onto Main from McD.

Winnipeg doesn't manage some basic traffic right, but it's definitely not armageddon on Waterfront.

Either way, eliminate the no-right-turn on fort and the exchange congestion that leads towards waterfront eases up.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Waterfront - no access to Higgins or Provencher in rush hour. Let police ticket offenders similar to the EB Portage to Donald turn. People will quickly get the message.
Honestly I think you could even just make no turns Higgins>Main 15:30-17:30 and that'd solve most of the problem. May not want to completely restrict Waterfront>Provencher as then it'd make for some wickedly complex routes east for people already in the Exchange (thank you, one-ways).

Could definitely stand to redesign/shrink the intersection of Waterfront & Pioneer/Stephenson/Provencher (smh) to slow down traffic and be more pedestrian friendly.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 2:51 PM
BANNED

Mayor's task force recommends tax rebates for Exchange arts organizations

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ates-1.4151718

Revamp arts support: city report

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/06/0...rt-city-report

So, rents are too high for artists and arts organizations, and the cost to redevelop heritage buildings is too high: do we laugh or cry over this? At what point do we finally say f*ck it all?

I do think there should be incentives to retain the artistic flair in the Exchange, and expand on it.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 3:31 PM

I like the ideas here. I do think one way to go about the arts thing though, would be to actually give incentive to the landlords to house the organizations, similar to what many cities do to require/reward landlords for housing low-income citizens. Because the landlords can easily go increase rents, especially if they know the org. is subsidized.

Love the idea of better enforcing and even increasing "fees" on derelict/empty buildings. Didn't know we were doing this at all. Obviously the fees aren't high enough to make many owners budge.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 8:46 PM

I'm all for the artsy feel in the Exchange, but it doesn't drive growth or development... it's a bandaid IMO.

If the money is better used to grow business in the area, the arts will add their flair regardless.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 8:58 PM
BANNED

Well I understand where the arts groups are coming from, as they are struggling with the rents in the area. I am all for dozens of tech companies moving in to redeveloped buildings, as well as more residential development, but I do like the arts vibe in the area too.

Still no buyer for 104 Princess sadly. How many buildings in the area include parking? I can appreciate the amount of money needed to redevelop this building, but it has been on the market for a long time, and this area really needs a boost.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 9:28 PM

Hey here's one on Albert for ya. Measly pittance of $2 million. Gives an idea of what these look like inside. I'm guessing this one is on the slightly better end.

https://www.realtor.ca/Commercial/Of...hange-District

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 9:31 PM
BANNED

Hopefully that one does not stay on the market for too long.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I'm all for the artsy feel in the Exchange, but it doesn't drive growth or development... it's a bandaid IMO.

If the money is better used to grow business in the area, the arts will add their flair regardless.
What arts groups are you talking about specifically? Galleries and makerspaces drive growth and development, as do arts/tech agencies like ACI that run courses and workshops and job boards, etc. I think it's important also to note the cross-pollination between arts and tech in the Exchange -- quite a few of the startups in the Exchange work in areas that blend art and tech and/or art and design. Innovation and collaboration that help build an area and industry deserve support IMO and are by no means "a band-aid."

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 5:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Well I understand where the arts groups are coming from, as they are struggling with the rents in the area. I am all for dozens of tech companies moving in to redeveloped buildings, as well as more residential development, but I do like the arts vibe in the area too.

Still no buyer for 104 Princess sadly. How many buildings in the area include parking? I can appreciate the amount of money needed to redevelop this building, but it has been on the market for a long time, and this area really needs a boost.
Apparently, 104 Princess was close to being sold and redeveloped, but there is no $$$ incentives. I guess this is what Brent was talking about with the TIF being halted. This is absolute BS. The city and province (and perhaps even the feds) need to help with this, especially given that it is a national historic site. Someone has to pay $1.7 million for the properties, then about $4 million to develop them. I understand where the hesitation comes into play. I would love to see the 50s addition demolished and replaced with a glass infill, perhaps extending over 104 Princess.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 2:08 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Apparently, 104 Princess was close to being sold and redeveloped, but there is no $$$ incentives. I guess this is what Brent was talking about with the TIF being halted. This is absolute BS. The city and province (and perhaps even the feds) need to help with this, especially given that it is a national historic site. Someone has to pay $1.7 million for the properties, then about $4 million to develop them. I understand where the hesitation comes into play. I would love to see the 50s addition demolished and replaced with a glass infill, perhaps extending over 104 Princess.
The most recent owner of 104 princess had tifs that he let expire.

There were redevelopment plans for the building that never got past the render stage.

That is a difficult property. 104 princess is in horrible condition but the exterior has heritage protection.

The 50s addition can come down, but the walls of 104 need to stay up no matter what, so it makes it a very expensive proposition.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 3:27 PM
BANNED

Hopefully we see redevelopment soon because this area needs a lot of revitalizing. I would also love to see the Galt Block stripped of all the paint, or entirely repainted one color, preferably the red, just not that awful grey.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 1:41 PM

Huge kudos to the group who re-did the Porter Block on McDermot, but the unfinished side on Rorie is becoming a real eye-sore. It's unfinished, dirty and garbage seems to get caught up in the 'deck' and never get cleans up. I'm sure the team is busy at the Pumphouse, but would be nice to see the Porter project finished sooner than later. Any ideas what the plan is to finish this side?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:18 PM
BANNED

Should have been done by now. A couple of months ago they were waiting on final design/thickness of material, etc. I am sure there is a legitimate reason.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Should have been done by now. A couple of months ago they were waiting on final design/thickness of material, etc. I am sure there is a legitimate reason.
Hopefully. Bryce and his crew are doing great things so I'm sure they won't let us down. It's just an eye-sore in the meantime though.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:53 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Hopefully. Bryce and his crew are doing great things so I'm sure they won't let us down. It's just an eye-sore in the meantime though.
I wonder if it is a permit or a design related issue holding it up?

It was a bit surprising to me that there was some wood being used for portions of the landing/deck. I would assume it could only be built with non-combustible materials.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 5:17 PM

I think the project is amazing, but that wood on the front entrance looks terrible.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 8:36 PM

Besides the Waterfront Drive traffic study I referenced earlier, they also had a separate study on-going for Provencher/Waterfront intersection. One recommendation was put forth. The full study is at this link. http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...onId=&InitUrl=

Quote:
A traffic analysis was completed to evaluate a proposed left turn signal phase for southbound Waterfront Drive at Provencher Boulevard. The analysis concluded that with the implementation of a southbound protected/permissive(green arrow/green ball) left turn signal phase, the southbound left turn delay can be moderately reduced during the p.m. peak period. The introduction of a southbound protected/permissive phase is expected to increase northbound delay; however, the northbound delay would still be within acceptable limits. The Public Service can undertake this signal work under its own authority.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 8:57 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I wonder if it is a permit or a design related issue holding it up?

It was a bit surprising to me that there was some wood being used for portions of the landing/deck. I would assume it could only be built with non-combustible materials.
What is that space going to be used for?

I drive by it daily and can't figure out what it will be in the end.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan