HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 3:01 AM

6 buildings up for heritage designation

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...564988362.html

One of them so 40 St. Mary's. God I hope that gets pummelled down. Those apartments are disgusting and a huge eyesore. With all the recent development on St. Mary's, that site is ripe for a new, denser, mixed-use development.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 5:53 AM
There is always a way

Yikes. I understand that it's been a fixture but definitely not the good kind. It's even kind of hostile to the streetscape
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 5:59 AM
There is always a way

40 st Mary's that is. I share the opinion that it would be a great site for denser development, mixed use ideally
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Yikes. I understand that it's been a fixture but definitely not the good kind. It's even kind of hostile to the streetscape
Found this. I always wondered about that property.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFJ6-dj6mXA

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 1:40 PM

Yeah wow, 40 St. Mary's Rd. is an odd choice. I'll have to look at the city's report because the heritage value is not at all obvious there.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 4:30 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

what the spanish revial apartments? only example of that stule in the city ive seen

other then the ones that were on assinboine by the ledge we let the owners let rot and get demolished so they could try making a parking lot now a lawn of grass

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:30 PM
Starring as himself

The Hacienda Apartments? They're lovely, unique and obviously worthy of preservation. But of course the God of Mixed-Use Density must prevail and obliterate everything that is small and charming.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The Hacienda Apartments? They're lovely, unique and obviously worthy of preservation.
I agree. Grew up in the area and always loved them.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
But of course the God of Mixed-Use Density must prevail and obliterate everything that is small and charming.
You may be confusing us with Toronto. In Winnipeg our urban sacrifices are generally dedicated to the God of Surface Parking.

(I do agree that the Hacienda Apartments are something special.)

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 3:37 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

anyone ever noticed the metal railingon the roof of these 2 apartment blocks on the roof?
someone brought this up in the manitoba historical society facebook page

From the Winnipeg Tribune 1931-08-15

from the Winnipeg Tribune, 1931-07-11.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 4:36 PM

Neat, I never knew there was a tunnel between the Leg and the Law courts building.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...air/ar-AAK8JYJ

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 10:16 PM

Here’s a very interesting find among what was likely Winnipeg’s first fire insurance maps, published in 1880, which can be viewed on the Library and Archives of Canada site.

Though not quite as descriptive or artfully rendered as later fire insurance maps, these present a fascinating view of the fledgling city of Winnipeg as it existed before the arrival of the CPR, the real estate boom of 1881-’82, and the great building boom of 1903-1913 which created the city we are well familiar with.

These maps show the early pattern of urbanism: tiny commercial buildings oriented almost exclusively to Main Street, industrial and warehouse buildings along the Red, streets in between lined by a scattering of houses, and lots and lots of outbuildings.

Especially interesting is this sheet, which shows the built environment at the SW corner of Portage and Main. Here we can see:
  • Long-lost Pelly Street, which was surveyed by the HBC in the 1870s in a plan that did not include Portage Avenue. Under this plan, Pelly Street would be another east-west street equidistant from and parallel to Graham and Ellice Avenues. Yet despite this survey, buildings lined Main Street where Pelly was supposed to intersect. Portage Avenue, of course, survived, and Pelly Street did not.
  • Buildings in the Portage Avenue right-of-way between Main and Notre Dame. These buildings stood on land owned by a William Drever in 1863, who began building here not only before Portage Avenue was officially surveyed, but before the point where the Portage trail met the Garry trail (Main St.) became fixed. Depending on the season, the trails would intersect at different points. Sometimes further north (where Portage and Main intersect today), sometimes a little further south. Drever’s building upset Henry McKenney, who in 1862 built at what he felt was the NW corner of the two trails, only to find out that Drever thought he owned this land. The matter went to the Assiniboia Council in 1864, and the Council ruled that this portion of Portage Avenue between Main and Notre Dame (Drever’s disputed property) shall be narrowed to 66’ feet and buildings lawfully exist for a period of 18 years -- until 1882. This narrow stretch of Portage Avenue was finally cleared and widened to 132’ in 1883, when the owner sold the land to the City for $35,000. (This is little story about Council’s land use decisions ending in compromise and the City paying more for it in the end, shows how little has changed in Winnipeg in the last 155 years.)
  • The ‘St. N[icholas] Hotel’, formerly the Red Saloon, which was built on Drever’s old property in 1868, and until its demise in 1883 was well known as being one of the more notorious of Winnipeg’s hotels.
  • The St. Nicholas and other buildings are not oriented to Main or Portage, and instead are situated at the same angle as Notre Dame, which was the boundary line between the HBC land to the south, and the old river farm lot to the north. Totally pre-dates the established urban street pattern.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Here’s a very interesting find among what was likely Winnipeg’s first fire insurance maps, published in 1880, which can be viewed on the Library and Archives of Canada site.

Though not quite as descriptive or artfully rendered as later fire insurance maps, these present a fascinating view of the fledgling city of Winnipeg as it existed before the arrival of the CPR, the real estate boom of 1881-’82, and the great building boom of 1903-1913 which created the city we are well familiar with.

These maps show the early pattern of urbanism: tiny commercial buildings oriented almost exclusively to Main Street, industrial and warehouse buildings along the Red, streets in between lined by a scattering of houses, and lots and lots of outbuildings.

Especially interesting is this sheet, which shows the built environment at the SW corner of Portage and Main. Here we can see:
  • Long-lost Pelly Street, which was surveyed by the HBC in the 1870s in a plan that did not include Portage Avenue. Under this plan, Pelly Street would be another east-west street equidistant from and parallel to Graham and Ellice Avenues. Yet despite this survey, buildings lined Main Street where Pelly was supposed to intersect. Portage Avenue, of course, survived, and Pelly Street did not.
  • Buildings in the Portage Avenue right-of-way between Main and Notre Dame. These buildings stood on land owned by a William Drever in 1863, who began building here not only before Portage Avenue was officially surveyed, but before the point where the Portage trail met the Garry trail (Main St.) became fixed. Depending on the season, the trails would intersect at different points. Sometimes further north (where Portage and Main intersect today), sometimes a little further south. Drever’s building upset Henry McKenney, who in 1862 built at what he felt was the NW corner of the two trails, only to find out that Drever thought he owned this land. The matter went to the Assiniboia Council in 1864, and the Council ruled that this portion of Portage Avenue between Main and Notre Dame (Drever’s disputed property) shall be narrowed to 66’ feet and buildings lawfully exist for a period of 18 years -- until 1882. This narrow stretch of Portage Avenue was finally cleared and widened to 132’ in 1883, when the owner sold the land to the City for $35,000. (This is little story about Council’s land use decisions ending in compromise and the City paying more for it in the end, shows how little has changed in Winnipeg in the last 155 years.)
  • The ‘St. N[icholas] Hotel’, formerly the Red Saloon, which was built on Drever’s old property in 1868, and until its demise in 1883 was well known as being one of the more notorious of Winnipeg’s hotels.
  • The St. Nicholas and other buildings are not oriented to Main or Portage, and instead are situated at the same angle as Notre Dame, which was the boundary line between the HBC land to the south, and the old river farm lot to the north. Totally pre-dates the established urban street pattern.

This is fascinating. Thank you for sharing.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 12:33 AM

RE:170 Edmonton St.

Oh the humanity! Rooftop gardens, a playground and windows that allow light and cool summertime breezes to flood in. Sure unlike many new developments, which in many cases have windows that don't even open, and because of ubiquitous anti-social behaviour, public spaces are seldom considered. Some (ie. the one behind the WAG on Colony) even look like dystopian detention centres, in Vancouver people are renting closets for $600/mo. Canada sure has regressed.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:19 PM

With all the space there was in mid-20th century Winnipeg, I'll never understand how anyone thought it was a good idea to cram the baseball park and the football stadium so awkwardly close together...

Larger original image here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9513047@N05/49354060693/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:39 PM
What could go wrong?

Crazy seeing a grain elevator on St James. Cool picture.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:48 PM

^ Click on the link to see more of the surrounding area as the photo is cropped... the stadium and arena were brand new then. I think the grain elevator-looking thing is the concrete plant mentioned in the caption...

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 9:01 PM

[QUOTE=esquire;8795691]^ Click on the link to see more of the surrounding area as the photo is cropped... the stadium and arena were brand new then. I think the grain elevator-looking thing is the concrete plant mentioned in the caption...[/QUOT

Through your link you can browse through some absolutely amazing photos, thank you. So many of them I have never seen before.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Through your link you can browse through some absolutely amazing photos, thank you. So many of them I have never seen before.
You're welcome, it is an amazing collection and whoever runs it adds pictures almost daily. The best part is that there are tons of photos of seldom seen and fairly mundane things that don't make the history books but are extremely interesting nonetheless.

Unfortunately I can't embed the photos directly into forum posts, so I seldom link to it here unless something really catches my eye.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 9:26 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
You're welcome, it is an amazing collection and whoever runs it adds pictures almost daily. The best part is that there are tons of photos of seldom seen and fairly mundane things that don't make the history books but are extremely interesting nonetheless.

Unfortunately I can't embed the photos directly into forum posts, so I seldom link to it here unless something really catches my eye.
theres ways around it u just gotta know how to dig threw the html code.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan