HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's actually for a special installation called Illuminate 150 that will light up the grounds to kick off 150 days til Manitoba 150. December 12 I think it turns on. Doubt it will be back, I think they're rentals. It will be up most of the winter though.
thanks for the info! either way, nice to see the legislature grounds getting some attention for once.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 5:01 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Anyone heard the news that Winnipeg police’s asking for help to search for a 17-year-old deaf non-verbal girl? I saw it on global news.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 12:06 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Been with Shaw Internet for the past year. In the past few days I noticed the connection drops at least once or more per day for a few minutes.

Used to happened in the 1990s, but this is the end of the 2010s and shouldn't be a factor anymore with the huge pipes we have access to now.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 9:02 PM

Tourism Winnipeg sends out regular emails higlighting various things about the city. Today's message has a link to a dedicated page at Marriott Bonvoy with a video, articles, etc.:

https://hotel-deals.marriott.com/canada-winnipeg/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Been with Shaw Internet for the past year. In the past few days I noticed the connection drops at least once or more per day for a few minutes.

Used to happened in the 1990s, but this is the end of the 2010s and shouldn't be a factor anymore with the huge pipes we have access to now.
I switched to Shaw in the past few weeks. Definitely notice drop outs every once in a while. Also had to get a service call in to come and get things set-up right. Something to do with a bad connection in the house. Works much better now but still drops out or lags.

I was reading online that they now prioritize internet service over TV. So might have something to do with it.

Call in and report them though. They may send a tech for service call to check your lines and such. They can also run diagnostics and check for times when it dropped out.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 9:42 PM
Winnipeg

Winnipeg Real Estate News just published an article on how the new NAFTA agreement influences trade in Manitoba and the big role trade plays in Manitoba’s economy. $25B worth of two-way trade across the Manitoba-US border is just impressive.

https://www.winnipegrealestatenews.c...e-almost-there

The new NAFTA — we’re almost there

By Don Leitch

Media coverage of trade and trade agreements is nearly constant. If not on the front page, trade stories abound in the business section. But trade is more than a political or business story. Trade’s importance is at the heart of the Manitoba economy — more significant in Manitoba than most people realize.

For starters, the Manitoba economy is much larger than it would otherwise be if it were not for the fact that we export goods and services from Manitoba throughout Canada and North America and across the globe. We are a trade-dependent province. Whether it be grain, beef, pork, value-added agricultural products, airplane components, farm equipment or general manufactured goods, tens of thousands of Manitoba jobs depend on trade. The quality of life we enjoy is enhanced through trade.

The Canada West Foundation estimated that every year two-way trade across the Manitoba-United States border exceeds $25 billion per year — that is more than $69 million a day crossing our border with the U.S. Add to that the trade that flows east and west to other provinces and beyond, and it is clear why a trade agreement is critical to Manitoba. What is the importance of trade agreements? The agreements set the rules for orderly trade.

A year ago, three national leaders from Canada, the United States and Mexico signed the newly negotiated North American Trade Agreement.

The relief for businesses was that the new North American trade agreement would offer certainty, stability and predictability, all essential to the orderly functioning of the North American economy.

For most of the past year, squabbling continued in each country over whether the agreement was good, or at least an improvement over the previous NAFTA. Many Americans were unhappy. Some Mexicans grumbled. Canada, too, has its share of naysayers with some commodity sectors not believing they benefitted significantly or had given up too much in the negotiations.

Within the U.S. government, considerable political debate led to media speculation on whether the trade agreement would be approved by Congress. The freshly signed but unratified agreement became a political football, politicians using it for their own advantage in the run-up to the American elections later this year. Many were openly suggesting they would vote in favour of the trade agreement in exchange for support on other priorities. Despite the economic urgency, these politicians thought the trade agreement was something to be bargained off.

A few weeks ago, Congress finally granted approval. And despite the theatrics, the U.S. Senate also quickly approved the deal with an overwhelming majority. And this week, the President signed the agreement into law.

Now the ball is with the Canadian politicians — and for added drama we have a minority government
coming out of our federal election last fall. Without a majority of votes in Parliament, the federal government cannot guarantee quick approval for the agreement it negotiated. Remember too that the official opposition was highly supportive of a renewed agreement. Other parties continue to oppose all or parts of the new agreement. The sooner it’s approved the better for business and Canadians.

So how soon will the Canadian Parliament give approval to the new agreement? No one can predict that, but the governing party and the official opposition philosophically support the new agreement, and approval will ultimately be granted.

Once we have Mexican approval, still on a timeline to be determined, we will finally have the certainty and predictability that is so necessary to support the North American trade environment.

Most people will probably not notice once the final approvals are in place because trade will continue as it is today. And that is good. We do not want disruptions. We want a smooth flow of trade across our borders, creating jobs and incomes for Manitobans by participating in a strong trading block.

With the new agreement in place we will have avoided disruption to the economic foundations that provide the incomes and livelihoods for families throughout the province.

Coupled with the two other major trade agreements, the Canada-EU Agreement with Europe, and the Trans Pacific Partnership with eleven Pacific countries, Manitoba is well positioned to be an active and growing participant in global trade.

And that is a positive for every Manitoban. With the considerable trade opportunities open to us, we can continue to invest and grow our economy.

But as a province we need to plan and set our strategy to ensure we capitalize on the agreements.
With both the federal and provincial governments committing to growing and diversifying trade, Manitoba businesses are ready to expand their activities and with that the jobs created.

Don Leitch is President & CEO of the Business Council of Manitoba

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 10:06 PM

Interesting article from CBC Calgary:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...F3c0a7U8haDaMk

On the one hand it's complicit in some pretty tacky Winnipeg-bashing by Calgary's mayor, who I used to think was a fairly enlightened guy. Personally, you could knock me down with not being surprised.

However...on the other it quotes stats showing Winnipeg's population of 20-24 year olds (as a percentage of the total population) has grown in the past ten years to put it in 10th place overall across Canada. It's also interesting that this stat shows Winnipeg as the only western Canadian municipality in the 2018 top ten list.

Personally I would hope the people who want to promote the city run with this news. If the percentage of 20-24's in the city is growing, it would seem to indicate there are more opportunities for this age group to stay/work/play in the city.

The article also points out that some ex-Calgarians are finding the culture of their new cities to be superior to what they left behind. Should we be promoting Winnipeg's cultural scenes to young people in other cities?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 10:39 PM

^interesting articles. I didn’t read this as “Winnipeg bashing” by Nenshi, but I bet some Calgarians’ heads might explode when reading this - particularly some Winnipeg ex-pats who frequent this forum.
I recall some years ago there was a Globe and Mail article predicting Calgary could become like Detroit after the decline of the auto industry. Seemed far fetched at the time, but these demographic patterns lend some support to the idea. Like any one industry city, Calgary is vulnerable to economic shifts beyond its control. I guess a lot of young people don’t see a future in oil extraction - and that is still very much the core of Calgary’s economy. Interesting times !

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 11:04 PM

I didn't see Nenshi anywhere in that article.

At work recently, we've seen the trend of people moving east to Winnipeg. 1 person still has a condo in Calgary they are renting out. If they sold, would like 10's of K on it.

Hired another person recently who went to university out west. Opportunities weren't there so they came to Winnipeg.

That's the people in my immediate group. More of that in the office. Not a blanket statement, but it is what it is. Currently down times in Alberta.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 11:07 PM

This article, linked in the one today, has Nenshi comparing Calgary to Winnipeg.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ults-1.5268588

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 11:12 PM

Ah, thanks. It's interesting that you can see the boom and bust cycles in the age of population. Current bust cycle has a large decrease in births that will carry through for the stats for the next 70 years.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 7:52 PM

City libraries manager says security measures put in place downtown were a mistake. Over the year security incidents were down 43%, meanwhile all library attendance was down 33%. So I guess it proportionally decreased security incidents per attendant byt a bit. Anyway, sounds like they're planning on relaxing the security measures at some point in the future. Personally I haven't been there since they added the screening.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ager-1.5474990

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
City libraries manager says security measures put in place downtown were a mistake. Over the year security incidents were down 43%, meanwhile all library attendance was down 33%. So I guess it proportionally decreased security incidents per attendant byt a bit. Anyway, sounds like they're planning on relaxing the security measures at some point in the future. Personally I haven't been there since they added the screening.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ager-1.5474990
So if the worst troublemakers are staying away, then what's the problem? It should not be too much to ask for people to leave their meth and switchblades at home if they want to go to the library.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So if the worst troublemakers are staying away, then what's the problem? It should not be too much to ask for people to leave their meth and switchblades at home if they want to go to the library.
i couldn't agree anymore!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Apparently they don't even need to leave them at home, there are free lockers available to safely store your meth and switchblade!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 9:49 PM

^^^33% reduction in library users seem like a lot of trouble makers.

I regularly see gray haired old grannies being patted down and wanded. Bag searched. Like wtf is wrong with people. You seriously think the granny with a cane who can barely walk is going to cause trouble? It's embarrassing.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^^^33% reduction in library users seem like a lot of trouble makers.

I regularly see gray haired old grannies being patted down and wanded. Bag searched. Like wtf is wrong with people. You seriously think the granny with a cane who can barely walk is going to cause trouble? It's embarrassing.
Isn't it preferable that everyone be treated the same, rather than resorting to racial/age/class profiling?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 9:56 PM

See this is where reality needs to set in. I don't care what race, culture whatever people are from. It's obvious when people coming in there stumbling around messed up that they not be let in. Don't need a blanket security policy for that. Same goes for groups of people coming in there. Same goes for shady looking mofo's.

Profiling because yes you look like a shady piece of shit. That's what security is for. I'm in there everyday. I'd like to know where the actual problems are. Cause out front it is full of people just hanging out causing problems. Are there people that go inside the library and hold up people with knives while they're looking at books? Profiling is a basic law enforcement tactic. Leaving out race, you look shady, you should expect people to question you.

I see a lot of the same people everyday. And they're always hanging around, messed up, in the front lobby. Puking, yelling, whatever it is.

Normal users, be it old ladies, kids, moms and dads, being searched like criminals is ridiculous. It's a library!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 10:29 PM

They just need to invest in walk-through scanners and have security take a quick peak in bags, just like at the arena. Treats people equally, does the job, is efficient.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 1:42 AM

Does anyone know what the security system is at the new Calgary central library? Or other downtown libraries for that matter? I heard the Calgary one had something, but I'm not sure what that is. Whatever they do, I haven't heard complaints about it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan