HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Really like how they treated the corner – opens that area up a bit, which is nice with the mall entrance there as well.
If they opened up the scotia bank portion to portage and main I’d be all for opening that corner. THat is what I want to seee. Not just a crosswalk. I want to see doors and shops there. A grand entrance to Winnipeg Square woulda be peachy. Man so much could be done if they just used their pie holes more. Not talking Arties. I’m talking city plannners.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I think the new TD sign looks awesome. I saw it in person for the first time this morning, and was surprised at the improvement it made on the building. Just that extra bit of colour does a lot, and I won't lie, the big name is a part of it too.
I preferred the original TD signage at the top of 201 Portage when the building opened in 1990. The TD letters were larger, green in colour and not inside a square box like they were later and appear now on 360 Main. The original signage also looked awesome at night. Unfortunately I can't find any pictures to post for viewing but there may be a few of you that also remember the original TD signage.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
I preferred the original TD signage at the top of 201 Portage when the building opened in 1990. The TD letters were larger, green in colour and not inside a square box like they were later and appear now on 360 Main. The original signage also looked awesome at night. Unfortunately I can't find any pictures to post for viewing but there may be a few of you that also remember the original TD signage.
Totally. I remember being able to see the glowing green sign when I was kid all the way from West St. Paul.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...oking_east.jpg

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 9:13 PM

I also can not find an image of the original.

Member when it was CanWest?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-c3IG6ckDs9...1600/lrg01.jpg

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvor202 View Post
Totally. I remember being able to see the glowing green sign when I was kid all the way from West St. Paul.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...oking_east.jpg

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 9:18 PM

Not as described by booster though.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 9:20 PM

The original sign... an elegant sign, but the green kind of clashed with the building. Seems to be a beloved TD tradition.

Then I think it was sometime around TD's merger with Canada Trust that they switched to the green box logo. Must have been in the late 90s, maybe?

Then Canwest Global just plunked their logo into the box when they took over

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 9:27 PM

I always like how you can get a sense of the decade by the vehicles.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I also can not find an image of the original.

Member when it was CanWest?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-c3IG6ckDs9...1600/lrg01.jpg
I definitely remember when it was Canwest. I was always proud that we had such a large media company headquartered here in Winnipeg. It was also great that Izzy Asper was determined to operate the company from Winnipeg instead of moving it to Toronto like so many others have done. It was a sad day for our city when Canwest went under. Not only because of the loss of jobs but also the loss of prestige for our city.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 11:05 PM

The TD logo did change when they merged with Canada Trust. TD is now the parent and Canada Trust is the the Canadian banking operation - so they needed a more solid icon.

I like the way the logos look. Looks great coming up St. Mary’s, size is right. Maybe they look big up close, but those signs aren’t there for pedestrians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
If they opened up the scotia bank portion to portage and main I’d be all for opening that corner. THat is what I want to seee. Not just a crosswalk. I want to see doors and shops there. A grand entrance to Winnipeg Square woulda be peachy. Man so much could be done if they just used their pie holes more. Not talking Arties. I’m talking city plannners.
I was referring to the corner within the mall that TD is on (underground).

Regarding Scotiabank - a huge portion of the atrium has been empty for quite a while now, and they removed some partitions in the last few weeks. Maybe a sign that some Renos to the atrium are coming. Scotia is keeping the branch there, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see some tellers move upstairs.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 10:33 PM

Starbucks in Winnipeg Square closed for major renovations.

Also RBC is renovating their entrance from the concourse by Scotiabank.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:

I've heard word that Starbucks is not renewing their lease at 201 Portage. Not sure when it's up, though. My guess is they're renovating at Winnipeg Square to handle the additional traffic.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 11:41 PM

maybe Harvard didnt renew it as part of the lobby redevelopment

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:

They must have worked all night – looks completely done other than signage. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
I've heard word that Starbucks is not renewing their lease at 201 Portage. Not sure when it's up, though. My guess is they're renovating at Winnipeg Square to handle the additional traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
That was my thought – the TD pillar sign has been covered with coroplast nailed to it... it'd be a great place for a new entrance to be put in (window is currently behind Starbucks counter).

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Some kind of framing is being done around where the new tower elevator shaft will be:
They've been working on that core in the parkade, clogging up space lol, for quite some time, as well as on the concourse level.

I'm guessing framing is for weatherproofing so the can keep working upward...?
Quote:

That's not RBC's space technically, that's Artis work I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
Interesting... that starbucks always felt like an afterthought... However, it seems like a missed opportunity for them if the barriers at P+M come down.

There's still the starbucks below the fairmont too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
maybe. I'd also imagine that perhaps the mercantino coffee bar in their basement possibly ruffled some feathers. Better espresso than starbucks, I think.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 9:40 PM

The Starbucks at 201 Portage felt long overdue before it opened. The challenge is I thought, before it opened, that the vacant main floor space more into the building and on the corner of the intersection was where the eventual coffee shop would go. Instead they crammed the Starbucks into what used to be a travel agent office. That weird back corner that can't really be scene isn't doing much for them.

--

In terms of the downtown residential such as 300 Main St I was reading an excellent article today how grocery shopping is increasingly something young adults are doing online to the point the transaction time in the seconds range matters to them.

I have said it before, that adults roughly 30 and under would rather buy their groceries from a web site than pushing a cart around a traditional store means the long dreamed of full line downtown grocery store is all but dead. Why go to the high costs of a dedicated downtown store when you can run a van or two out of your McPhillips Ave location and delivery to people's doors downtown.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 3:20 AM

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Jun 2, 2018 at 4:12 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 1:39 PM
BANNED

The owners/board of 238 Portage need to clean that f@ckin graffiti. Show some pride.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

I have said it before, that adults roughly 30 and under would rather buy their groceries from a web site than pushing a cart around a traditional store means the long dreamed of full line downtown grocery store is all but dead. Why go to the high costs of a dedicated downtown store when you can run a van or two out of your McPhillips Ave location and delivery to people's doors downtown.
I agree. This is becoming less of an issue with each passing year as people get used to the idea of ordering their groceries and having them delivered... a bit like they did 100 years ago, come to think of it.

I remember my old urban studies prof Chris Leo (who I'm sure a few others among you had) describing grocery delivery as the way of the future nearly 20 years ago... turns out he was likely right

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The Starbucks at 201 Portage felt long overdue before it opened. The challenge is I thought, before it opened, that the vacant main floor space more into the building and on the corner of the intersection was where the eventual coffee shop would go. Instead they crammed the Starbucks into what used to be a travel agent office. That weird back corner that can't really be scene isn't doing much for them.

--

In terms of the downtown residential such as 300 Main St I was reading an excellent article today how grocery shopping is increasingly something young adults are doing online to the point the transaction time in the seconds range matters to them.

I'm 26, I rarely do my grocery shopping myself – I do Click n Collect at Superstore, the odd time SaveOn delivery. It's great – Superstore is working toward delivery here soon, and that'll be the end of going into the store for me.

I could definitely see something like Loblaws set up a small footprint store in 330 Main, or possibly even just expand Shoppers now that they own it, and use it as a pick up point for online orders. Kind of like a grocery showroom lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan