HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 12:02 AM

It seems Air Canada also has more leg room than WestJet. That said the differences between those two gets smaller and smaller all the time. With WestJet trying to rapidly grow its Q400 fleet to compete more directly with the Embers and the upcoming 757 for longer routes the differences will continue to shrink. Five years ago WestJet was by definite preference but they have worked exceptional hard to convince me AirCanada is just as good or even a better option.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 12:11 AM

I've always preferred Air Canada, but I typically take whatever airline has the most conveniently timed flight.

With that said, I've had lots of issues maintenance-wise with WestJet lately. Early last year I got stuck in Moncton for 24 hours because the WestJet plane had fuel gauge issues. In November I got stuck in Saskatoon for 12 hours because the propeller on the (brand new?) Q400 broke/had issues after the first leg of the flight.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovell007 View Post
Because we all know how much shoulder room matters and not customer service baggage handling or any thing else like that.Even Westjet PILOTS are better I have not once seen an air Canada pilot let a child in the cockpit but every time I go on west-jet at least 1 child gets to go in the cockpit this is the exact reason why everbody is in love with westjet the company that would be a way better flag and name bearer airline so you
Ever watch the tv show "mayday" and the episode where a plane crashes after the pilot lets a kid fly the plane? Is there another reason why Westjet pilots are better other than ignoring safety regulations?

Most people I know that fly with any frequency vastly prefer AC. For some reason WJ has a reputation for value fares that isn't true but lots of people don't bother checking.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/a...t_airline.html

I'm sure Westjet will win best airline next year.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 1:04 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Remember that none of the money you spend on a ticket with Westjet go to the machinist's union in the USA, not so with AC. I will stick with the Canadian product thank you.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Most people I know that fly with any frequency vastly prefer AC. For some reason WJ has a reputation for value fares that isn't true but lots of people don't bother checking.
I've definitely noticed a strong correlation between infrequent flying and outspoken love for Westjet. Everyone has an aunt out there who swears by Westjet for her once a year trip to Kelowna or whatever.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 1:47 AM

Touche you all have good points I think we should I guess let our opinions be and get back on topic about Winnipeg airport how about that

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 8:02 PM

Very interesting discussion. Im a once (or twice) a year flyer. Grew up with a family that swore by AC and then as an adult came to love Westjet. Last fall my I travelled by AC to Boston and I was very impressed with the service. The turboprop planes had great leg room. I prefer WestJets' in flight TV service, maybe from being used to it. Staff at both were very nice.

I just travelled via Sunwing however, and on the flight back they had a new plane with the mood-lighting and swept up overhead bins. Pretty nice. Then I got selected for searching at our airport because I used my camera in the baggage claim area. Go figure.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 8:21 PM
the first stamp is free

I am an infrequent flyer, and I just go with who is cheaper. Unless paying more for a non-stop flight is an option - and then I would consider the convenience factor.

Being a taller than average person, I appreciate roominess, and honestly I find the newer regional jets have more room in the 2+2 arrangement compared to the 3+3 Westjet planes. I don't know how the new turboprops rate in that category yet.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 10:10 PM
Heart of the Continent

Richardson is now the 7th busiest airport in Canada by passenger volume:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...senger_traffic

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Richardson is now the 7th busiest airport in Canada by passenger volume:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...senger_traffic
Its wiki so I do not trust it but if you can give me another source I am wiling to hear the good news

Old Posted Feb 25, 2015, 11:34 PM
Heart of the Continent

Each of those numbers is sourced at the bottom of the article.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 8:19 AM
jammon member

Thumbs up

I'm a little late to the WJ vs AC comparison, however, as a once a month flier to regular CDN destinations, I must say that I vastly prefer AC to Westjet. Many of the advantages WJ had have now been erased by their greediness (ok, that's my perception) and cutbacks in standard services. Plus, you almost always have to sit 3 across on most domestic flights and WJ has now taken up this practice of poorly advertising multistop flights. In fact, they hide them. Last month, I had booked a flight from Ottawa with a stop in TO to Winnipeg and somehow ended up with an additional stop in Thunder Bay. When I went back to check, it showed on the site as having 1 stop even though the additional stop to TB was listed. The satellite system on their planes is sketchy with many channels being unavailable most of the time and honestly, they are ridiculously expensive. Oh yes, and they are pulling the satellite tvs fron their planes and replacing with rental tablets. Debatable whether it will be a positive move.

IMO, AC has a vastly superior entertainment system which sells it for me. Just my two cents.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 12:40 PM

^ It should be noted that AC is also moving in the direction of streaming content to tablets... their new Rouge spinoff (which is taking over more routes gradually) requires you to supply your own device. I find this approach a PITA because streaming doesn't seem to work as well as a wired connection to a screen in front of you... it has been a headache when I've tried it. Admittedly I've only used it on United, not AC Rouge.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 6:01 PM

On a recent flight the attendants directed us to the planes new streaming entertainment service while also directing we ensured all sending and receiving functions on our electronics was disabled.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 6:40 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Yeah how will that work if a tablet is in airplane mode? Will you have to use one of their devices?

Looks like it's ereaders for me. Damn TVs were too hard on my neck anyway.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM
Heart of the Continent

You can turn on wifi whilst in airplane mode. Wifi is now approved.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Airplane mode disables wifi.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Can you pass that message on to the airlines that are still instructing you to turn it off?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Airplane mode disables wifi.
Wifi is still accessible in airplane mode. At least on iPhone. When I travel outside of Canada, I use airplane mode to avoid roaming fees and wifi on to grab hot spots.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 2:56 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

So if your tablet also has 3G/LTE etc just turn that part off and keep wifi on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan