HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Well said. The proliferation of towers in Toronto is ruining the city. The only really nice part of the city is the part east if Yonge street that is most like downtown Winnipeg. Thankfully the economics of Winnipeg are such that it will do the right thing because it has no choice.
agreed.

I spend a fair bit of time in downtown Vancouver and find that, in spite of its visual beauty, it is one of the coldest and most unwelcoming places i have ever experienced. i know other people who share that view as well. not sure if that is a result of the built environment or the sociology of the place...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 2:35 PM
BANNED

I am fine with either. Again, in terms of building higher, the podium can make or break the ground level feeling.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 4:46 PM

In the toronto example I've always found there that the most vibrant and interesting streets are in lower-rise but high density neighbourhoods (ie cabbagetown) while the condo alley/liberty village type areas are actually pretty sterile at street level. I think the intimate feel is perfect for the forks and there's plenty of room in the shed for more towers if there's an appetite for them.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 5:08 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I would be fine with a six-8 story limit on the buildings in that parking lot. It would make the area seem more personable.

Any ideas on the total number of people who could live in that parking lot assuming 6 story buildings become the preferred choice? 500? 1000? 1500?
I can't remember the exact numbers off hand. My guess is that on both lots the final build out will be home to 1600-1800 people. Possibly more.

That's the equivalent of seven or eight 25 storey towers.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 5:11 PM
There is always a way

I would definitely relax the height restrictions a little. A couple buildings at 8 or 10 floors would enhance the character of the new neighbourhood

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I can't remember the exact numbers off hand. My guess is that on both lots the final build out will be home to 1600-1800 people. Possibly more.

Based on more people per floor? On the surface, it seems hard to fathom more people living in so many small buildings...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 6:20 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I would definitely relax the height restrictions a little. A couple buildings at 8 or 10 floors would enhance the character of the new neighbourhood
Yeah. There may be opportunity to add a few floors in one or two key places. It could be used as a density bonus incentive, especially on Parcel Four. Wouldn't surprise me if that happened in the end. As long as it's designed well and in strategic locations that do not hurt the condition on the sidewalk. Don't expect to see any high rise towers on podiums though. A few floors here and there, possibly.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 6:28 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Based on more people per floor? On the surface, it seems hard to fathom more people living in so many small buildings...
The number of units isnt set. It will depend on the mix of proposals they get. Student housing and hotels as an example can bring higher density than condos. Office space and community amenities take space without adding residents. It needs to be coordinated over time. My guess is there might be 500-600 units on each parcel.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 7:23 PM
BANNED

If the designs and materials are great, it could be a success. I would like Europe-style narrow--I mean really narrow--streets.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah. There may be opportunity to add a few floors in one or two key places. It could be used as a density bonus incentive, especially on Parcel Four. Wouldn't surprise me if that happened in the end. As long as it's designed well and in strategic locations that do not hurt the condition on the sidewalk. Don't expect to see any high rise towers on podiums though. A few floors here and there, possibly.
See, this was what I was curious about from the out set of the conversation. Is there wiggle room, depending on the nature and quality of the proposal. It seemed like a locked in, forgone conclusion that 2,3,4 and maybe 6 storey developments were the final word, end of conversation.

Good to here there is some room for changes in the future..

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 8:00 PM

For those who really want towers in the area, if the Parcel 4-Railside development is as successful as we hope and creates a really good demand for residential, we shouldn't be surprised if larger residential towers pop up really close by on those parking lots on the east side of south Main St.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 8:02 PM
Source?

Quote:

Is that number for both Parcel 4 and Rail Side or just Rail Side?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Ando would accuse you of being negative. Careful...
Look, I know you think you're on a roll now as far as your personal popularity on the Board goes, but I'm really not flattered by your unsolicited obsession with me.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 10:38 PM

Good article by Robert Galston in the Free Press about the new Forks development and the potential for a more walkable environment and connectivity with the Exchange and Main Street.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...386103411.html

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 10:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Good article by Robert Galston in the Free Press about the new Forks development and the potential for a more walkable environment and connectivity with the Exchange and Main Street.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...386103411.html
Everyone thinks he/she is a writer. Repeating what we all know. Old news.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Everyone thinks he/she is a writer. Repeating what we all know. Old news.
And .... there it is! You are criticizing someone who knows the city well and has put a lot of thought into how it can improved. Your true colours are emerging.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:

That's very encouraging! Imagine having the equivalent of a small town's population on two parking lots downtown. Imagine what that would do for the vitality of that one particular area. Imagine what would happen if we could duplicate that - assuming it happens - in a few other strategic areas of downtown Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 10:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
And .... there it is! You are criticizing someone who knows the city well and has put a lot of thought into how it can improved. Your true colours are emerging.
Nothing new. He simply repeats what he reads, things we...well, perhaps not you, already know. After so many years of discussion about what makes a downtown healthy, he doe snot bring anything new to the table. Small things please small minds, no offence.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Nothing new. He simply repeats what he reads, things we...well, perhaps not you, already know. After so many years of discussion about what makes a downtown healthy, he doe snot bring anything new to the table. Small things please small minds, no offence.
I don't think you even know who Robert Galston is and that doesn't surprise me.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 11:12 PM
BANNED

He has been on here before. He simply saw Brent's name in the paper and thought "Oh, I could talk about this too".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan