HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 5:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I’m wondering:
Suppose you’re already on the 407 heading east, wanting to go back to the 401 (during pm rush)...
If cost’s not an issue, which highway will you go down on: 412, 418 or 115?
I don’t wanna do 412 because 401’s no good through Oshawa during that time, but I’m undecided between 418 and 115.
Well, if you need to go east of the 115, I'd take that.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 7:38 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Well, if you need to go east of the 115, I'd take that.
I guess I don’t exactly mind the 90 km/h limit throughout the RIRO section. What about the part where it curves westtoward 401 (to go around Newcastle) though? Lol won’t that backtrack bother you?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 2:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I guess I don’t exactly mind the 90 km/h limit throughout the RIRO section. What about the part where it curves westtoward 401 (to go around Newcastle) though? Lol won’t that backtrack bother you?
The curve isn't enough to matter and I'll bet that that changes soon enough to 6 lane freeway. The demand as the end of the 407 will make upgrading it, at least to freeway standards with 100/110 km/hr limit will become the next priority.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 3:52 PM

Going all the way to the 115 means you go further east and come back a few km west by the time you get down to the 401, and also go further north of the 401 than taking the 418, plus the higher speed limit on the 418. Cost doesn't really matter, you only save a couple km of toll road by taking 418 then going 407 all the way.

Has there been any talk of the 407 going east of this at any point? Would it make sense for it to join the 401, maybe near Port Hope or something? Probably doesn't gain anything that the 418 doesn't already address.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 4:43 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Relax Djeffrey lol. 407 shouldn’t need to tap into Northumberland or Peterborough County. Further capacity issue on the 401 where there are already 6 lanes should be addressed by adding an HOV lane. The issue is, west of Cobourg, there’s a section where the westbound and eastbound lanes are at different altitudes. I wonder how adding HOV will work there. Where there are only 4 lanes, 401 should be widened to 6 lanes (if not 8 right away) or we should make sure that Via HFR doesn’t follow apart. (They aren’t mutually exclusive by the way.)

Edit: I see it now. By the time one hits the end of 407, the backtrack will be a serious one. I guess 418 it is.

Ps: I also hope MTO will one day convert the RIRO section of 115 into a proper freeway and rename it Highway 428 like a continuation of Highway 28. (The segment of the latter through Peterborough and Northumberland was downloaded.) Lol, has anyone noticed that Northumberland is the only county that doesn’t have any non-400-series provincial highways?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 6:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Going all the way to the 115 means you go further east and come back a few km west by the time you get down to the 401, and also go further north of the 401 than taking the 418, plus the higher speed limit on the 418. Cost doesn't really matter, you only save a couple km of toll road by taking 418 then going 407 all the way.

Has there been any talk of the 407 going east of this at any point? Would it make sense for it to join the 401, maybe near Port Hope or something? Probably doesn't gain anything that the 418 doesn't already address.
Quote:
Relax Djeffrey lol. 407 shouldn’t need to tap into Northumberland or Peterborough County. Further capacity issue on the 401 where there are already 6 lanes should be addressed by adding an HOV lane. The issue is, west of Cobourg, there’s a section where the westbound and eastbound lanes are at different altitudes. I wonder how adding HOV will work there. Where there are only 4 lanes, 401 should be widened to 6 lanes (if not 8 right away) or we should make sure that Via HFR doesn’t follow apart. (They aren’t mutually exclusive by the way.)

Edit: I see it now. By the time one hits the end of 407, the backtrack will be a serious one. I guess 418 it is.

Ps: I also hope MTO will one day convert the RIRO section of 115 into a proper freeway and rename it Highway 428 like a continuation of Highway 28. (The segment of the latter through Peterborough and Northumberland was downloaded.) Lol, has anyone noticed that Northumberland is the only county that doesn’t have any non-400-series provincial highways?
What would be great is if the 115 was converted to full freeway. Then they extend the 407 east to go to Ottawa.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 6:31 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
What would be great is if the 115 was converted to full freeway. Then they extend the 407 east to go to Ottawa.
I will leave the twinning of all of 7 between Peterborough and Carleton Place* contingent on Via HFR. At this point, we can assume that, if it goes through, it’s to take on the former ROW between Peterborough and Smith Falls. I’ll reply to your comments on Via (in both fora) when I get to it.

* The future freeway part of Highway 7 between Carleton Place and Perth is slated to go south of Mississippi Lake. Is it possible to tweak it a bit so it goes right by Smith Falls Station? I can see how this can add 16 km to the distance between Perth and Carleton Place (34 km vs 50 km) and result in minimal time savings (34 km/80 kph * 60 min/hr = 25.5 minutes vs 50 km/120kph * 60 min/hr = 25 minutes) though. I’m suggesting this just as a safe way for people in Perth and points west to get to the station safely.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 4:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I will leave the twinning of all of 7 between Peterborough and Carleton Place* contingent on Via HFR. At this point, we can assume that, if it goes through, it’s to take on the former ROW between Peterborough and Smith Falls. I’ll reply to your comments on Via (in both fora) when I get to it.

* The future freeway part of Highway 7 between Carleton Place and Perth is slated to go south of Mississippi Lake. Is it possible to tweak it a bit so it goes right by Smith Falls Station? I can see how this can add 16 km to the distance between Perth and Carleton Place (34 km vs 50 km) and result in minimal time savings (34 km/80 kph * 60 min/hr = 25.5 minutes vs 50 km/120kph * 60 min/hr = 25 minutes) though. I’m suggesting this just as a safe way for people in Perth and points west to get to the station safely.
Show me one station in Canada that has that kind of access... not that it shouldn't be done.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 4:55 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Show me one station in Canada that has that kind of access... not that it shouldn't be done.
Tremblay (417), Oshawa (401) & Dorval (A20)

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 5:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Tremblay (417), Oshawa (401) & Dorval (A20)
They are not directly accessible, but they are close. I'll give you those.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:44 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

On another note, now that 407 East and 418 are opened, MTO should install an electric panel 1 km west of 412 showing traffic condition on 401 in both directions, likewise with 418, and with 115, so 3 electric panels in total.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
On another note, now that 407 East and 418 are opened, MTO should install an electric panel 1 km west of 412 showing traffic condition on 401 in both directions, likewise with 418, and with 115, so 3 electric panels in total.
They should also display the cost too.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:05 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
They should also display the cost too.
good one

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 5:11 PM

There's so few people using the 418 right now that it isn't displaying traffic on Google Maps from Taunton to the 401 (basically the whole thing).

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 7:50 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
There's so few people using the 418 right now that it isn't displaying traffic on Google Maps from Taunton to the 401 (basically the whole thing).
You sure? Or is it simply too new? It may take Google Maps a few days to adjust. Also 418’s minor relatively to 407.

Edit: It’s not even showing the new SB-entrance-only and NB-exit-only ramps.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
You sure? Or is it simply too new? It may take Google Maps a few days to adjust. Also 418’s minor relatively to 407.

Edit: It’s not even showing the new SB-entrance-only and NB-exit-only ramps.
I was wondering that, but it is showing traffic on the extension to the 115.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 11:58 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Has 407ETR always had different prices for different time periods on weekends? Or is this gonna be the adjustment starting next January? Travelling between 11 am and 7 pm on weekends will cost more than between 7 pm and 11 am...

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:22 PM
User Registered

Highbury Avenue South / Wenige Expressway to start upgrades next year

http://www.london.ca/residents/Roads...on%20FINAL.pdf

I think the MTO is also planning to rebuild the Highbury/401 interchange soon too, but it won't be free flowing. Stoplights remain on a freeway...

Reddit discussion if interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/londonontar...ghbury_avenue/

My Simcity Stuff

Last edited by haljackey; Dec 19, 2019 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:25 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Highbury Avenue South / Wenige Expressway to start upgrades next year

http://www.london.ca/residents/Roads...on%20FINAL.pdf

I think the MTO is also planning to rebuild the Highbury/401 interchange soon too, but it won't be free flowing. Stoplights remain on a freeway...
The one oddity in Ontario eh? Time to lobby MTO to put flyover ramps from 401E to Highbury Avenue N and to protect the movement from Highbury Avenue S to 401E from the traffic light.

Funny enough, service interchanges between freeways are pretty common in the states.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Has 407ETR always had different prices for different time periods on weekends? Or is this gonna be the adjustment starting next January? Travelling between 11 am and 7 pm on weekends will cost more than between 7 pm and 11 am...
That has always been the case, yes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario