HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:21 AM
recession proof

Ten Thousand Villages are turning into ten villages: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...sing-1.5434881

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Ten Thousand Villages are turning into ten villages: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...sing-1.5434881

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 9:27 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Not shocked at all by this. Who the hell but a tiny few has the $ to spend $5 on a freakin' gift card never mind any of the thousands of mindless trinkets those stores were based upon...
Your parents' generatioin, 40 years ago thought nothing of it.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 1:16 AM
recession proof

I take a piece of .10 paper board from Dollarama and sketch a fantasy skyscraper add a stamp and I've got a birthday card for the old folks for under $1.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 8:42 PM

Suppliers seeking to push Canadian lingerie chain La Senza into bankruptcy for unpaid bills

Canadian-founded lingerie chain has 340 stores, about a third of which are in Canada
Pete Evans · CBC News · Posted: Jan 30, 2020

Companies that supply garments for retailer La Senza are trying to push the company into bankruptcy because they say the lingerie chain isn't paying its bills.

According to court documents, U.S. apparel manufacturer MGF Sourcing is seeking an involuntary petition against the owner of La Senza under Chapter 7 of the U.S. bankruptcy code.

Founded in Quebec in 1990, La Senza grew to become one of the biggest sellers of women's underwear in Canada before being bought up by the owners of U.S. lingerie giant Victoria's Secret in 2007.

In late 2019, La Senza's owners then sold the company to a California-based private equity firm called Regent LP. As part of that deal, La Senza was supposed to secure a letter of credit from the previous owners that would guarantee payment for suppliers like MGF if they continued to send products to La Senza. According to court documents, that never happened, and MGF says La Senza now owes them almost $42 million for goods that have already been sent off to La Senza to sell.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/la-...ptcy-1.5445693

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 9:57 PM
I am the law!

The 1980s multiplex were a terrible viewing experience compared to traditional theatres and that is Cineplex's legacy. I couldn't care less about their demise.

The vast majority of cards are trashed within hours of receiving them. It's both a financial and environmental waste at $5 to $10.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 11:23 PM

Retail Council of Canada released their 2019 report, including the list of most productive malls (ie. sales per sq. ft.). Here's the link to the full report, lots of interesting stuff in there. But here's the top 10 list for those who don't like reading lol:

Top 30 Shopping Centres in Canada by Sales Per Square Foot
Rank Shopping Centre Name City/Province Productivity*
1 Yorkdale Shopping Centre Toronto ON $1,964.00
2 CF Pacific Centre Vancouver BC $1,865.00
3 CF Toronto Eaton Centre Toronto ON $1,592.00
4 Park Royal West Vancouver BC $1,342.00
5 Southgate Centre Edmonton AB $1,121.00
6 CF Chinook Centre Calgary AB $1,119.00
7 Square One Mississauga ON $1,108.00
8 CF Sherway Gardens Toronto ON $1,099.00
9 CF Richmond Centre Richmond BC $1,073.00
10 Metropolis at Metrotown Burnaby BC $1,042.00

A couple notes from the report:
• Yorkdale was again the top in the country, and within breathing distance of $2,000 per sq. ft.
• Southgate in Edmonton was the only mall in the top 10 to decrease it's sales per sq. ft.
• Park Royal had the largest % growth of any mall on the list, up a whopping 46%
• Vancouver/Lower Mainland has more shopping centres per capita ranking among the top 30 most productive malls in Canada than any other region

https://www.retailcouncil.org/wp-con..._WEB_v5_f_.pdf

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 5:52 PM

Pier 1 Imports closing all Canadian stores.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 7:07 PM

Not surprising, home furnishings store are really struggling. homes are getting so small than people can't even buy things to put in it.

I was reading that a miniature train collector store was closing, that people weren't interested in models anymore. How can people be interested in model trains when they can't even afford a place to house all there kids.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_xavier View Post
Not surprising, home furnishings store are really struggling. homes are getting so small than people can't even buy things to put in it.
lol, that is not why home furnishing stores are closing.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 7:35 PM

Pier 1 is stuck in the 90s. All the stuff they sell is always the same year after year.

They just crank out the same pieces all the time.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 7:37 PM

I was reading an article that was about the states it mentioned Wayfair just laid of a few hundred employees, they cite the company grew too fast.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I was reading an article that was about the states it mentioned Wayfair just laid of a few hundred employees, they cite the company grew too fast.
Sucks, I love WayFair.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 1:04 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Retail Council of Canada released their 2019 report, including the list of most productive malls (ie. sales per sq. ft.). Here's the link to the full report, lots of interesting stuff in there. But here's the top 10 list for those who don't like reading lol:

Top 30 Shopping Centres in Canada by Sales Per Square Foot
Rank Shopping Centre Name City/Province Productivity*
1 Yorkdale Shopping Centre Toronto ON $1,964.00
2 CF Pacific Centre Vancouver BC $1,865.00
3 CF Toronto Eaton Centre Toronto ON $1,592.00
4 Park Royal West Vancouver BC $1,342.00
5 Southgate Centre Edmonton AB $1,121.00
6 CF Chinook Centre Calgary AB $1,119.00
7 Square One Mississauga ON $1,108.00
8 CF Sherway Gardens Toronto ON $1,099.00
9 CF Richmond Centre Richmond BC $1,073.00
10 Metropolis at Metrotown Burnaby BC $1,042.00

A couple notes from the report:
• Yorkdale was again the top in the country, and within breathing distance of $2,000 per sq. ft.
• Southgate in Edmonton was the only mall in the top 10 to decrease it's sales per sq. ft.
• Park Royal had the largest % growth of any mall on the list, up a whopping 46%
• Vancouver/Lower Mainland has more shopping centres per capita ranking among the top 30 most productive malls in Canada than any other region

https://www.retailcouncil.org/wp-con..._WEB_v5_f_.pdf
Surprised to see West Edmonton Mall not even in the top 30. No shade, I just thought it would be a given that the largest mall in the country would be on the list. Anyone know what's up with that?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 2:17 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Surprised to see West Edmonton Mall not even in the top 30. No shade, I just thought it would be a given that the largest mall in the country would be on the list. Anyone know what's up with that?
Sales per square foot?

West Ed has a wide range of retailers, and the lower-end ones probably bring it down a bit. There's also huge footprints of entertainment/open areas which could drag things down unless the stats really zero in purely on retail square footage?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Sales per square foot?

There's also huge footprints of entertainment/open areas which could drag things down unless the stats really zero in purely on retail square footage?
Probably square foot of leasable space, not total. The open areas and amusement/water parks probably aren't included in the calculation.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 8:36 PM
ARTchitecture

That's what I would think as well.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 8:42 PM

Maybe the size works against WEM. I've never been there, would love to one day, but I know I avoid malls whenever possible unless the store I need is only in one. Maybe people just don't want to deal with the place.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 11:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I thought this was interesting. An article about the closure of the Newfoundland Store in Halifax: https://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/fare...t?oid=23316724

The owner's 85 and one of the employees worked there for 55 years.

There's a Newfoundland grocery chain called Coleman's that's opening up a location in Halifax (an urban format grocery store on Hollis Street) so I wonder if they will fill that niche in the future. Apparently when the Newfoundland Store first opened that was the only place to get a bunch of the products but now more and more are just carried by Sobeys.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 7:37 PM

The Bay is closing their downtown Edmonton location. Symbolically it is sad since The Bay is kind of a hallmark of Canada's downtowns, and is a huge part of Canada's retail history. The article even mentions how Edmonton will be the only major city in Canada without a department store (Holt Renfrew closed earlier this year). I'm sure this is disappointing to a lot of people, again symbolically, since I'm sure a lot of forumers here wouldn't have shopped there necessarily. The article is a good read though

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...fter-207-years

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada