HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Toronto is at 9 murders which seems a little on the high side for this early to me. Still every time I need to remind myself how safe Canadian cities are compared to other comparably sized cities across North America. Still not a number to be proud of. More needs to be done to get illegal guns off the streets. Most of the murders seem to be gang related so as long as I don't join a gang or date a psycho I'm not very worried.

Jan 1st to date

Toronto - 9
Chicago - 52
Philadelphia - 45
Its crazy to me how many young men fall to guns in the us and nobody bats an eye unless its a mass shooting.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
Its crazy to me how many young men fall to guns in the us and nobody bats an eye unless its a mass shooting.
Even then most mass shootings fall under the radar as well. This website tracks them, the numbers are borderline horrifying so far, 33 to date in 2020.
https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/r.../mass-shooting

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:04 PM

Quote:
And to think violent crimes are actually down in the US. 85-95 were the rock bottom worst years.

In the late 80s and early 90s I knew several kids that were killed and more that were shot and survived.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Even then most mass shootings fall under the radar as well. This website tracks them, the numbers are borderline horrifying so far, 33 to date in 2020.
Its become so common that unless theres 5+ deaths nobody notices anymore.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
And to think violent crimes are actually down in the US. 85-95 were the rock bottom worst years.

In the late 80s and early 90s I knew several kids that were killed and more that were shot and survived.
NYC had over 5 homicides A DAY in the early 90s. Hard to imagine.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
NYC had over 5 homicides A DAY in the early 90s. Hard to imagine.
The crazy part was I see way more social disorder here than I saw the last time I was in NYC.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:19 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
The US is a bit of an anomaly in the western world when it comes to crime. I think a better comparison would be to see how Toronto is doing compared to cities like Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, London etc etc.

And to that end, Canada actually doesn't fare too well compared to our peers. Our homicide rate is generally a bit higher than most other highly developed nations. Granted, a big part of that is no doubt due to the uncontrolled influx of guns coming across the border.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 7:57 PM

#2 in Montreal. Man shot near Cote-Vertu metro.

Another two shootings with injuries happened in Rosemont.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Another one for Calgary yesterday, a woman and her husband had a fight in their vehicle, she got out and he ran her over. Very bad start to 2020! wonder if Calgary has ever led the country in homicides cause I bet we are running away with it in the first month and a half...
Man, just found out today that I knew her and used to hang out with her. Nice girl but had her issues.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Man, just found out today that I knew her and used to hang out with her. Nice girl but had her issues.
Crazy! really sad end for her.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Crazy! really sad end for her.
Yeah sounded pretty bad that is for sure. Domestic violence is a terrible thing.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
And to that end, Canada actually doesn't fare too well compared to our peers. Our homicide rate is generally a bit higher than most other highly developed nations. Granted, a big part of that is no doubt due to the uncontrolled influx of guns coming across the border.
I’d argue most of that is proximity to the US and all that is associated with that, whether that be easier access to guns (at the end of the day Canada isn’t particularly restrictive on gun ownership either), access and integration with US criminal systems (drugs, etc.), or otherwise.

Canadian gun ownership rates, even the legal kind, are above most other western nations, I think most people forget that. My father in law has 2 safes in his basement literally stuffed with them.. probably over 2 dozen. All legal, and very responsibly managed, but still. It’s not like guns don’t exist in this country.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 2:35 PM
arf

My feeling last year was Regina was seeing a pretty large number of gun incidents, but with no deaths. People getting shot, shots through houses, but few deaths. This year it seems like the homicide rate is going up along with that increase in gun use.

We've also had a rather large number of drug overdoses due to what appears to be some bad fentanyl floating around: Regina has had 62 reported drug overdoses this year. So 62 reported, meaning how many actual overdoses and how many users? A bit depressing that so far this year, 1 in 4,000 people have overdosed (just by the reported numbers.)

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 4:02 PM

I think Edmonton now already sits at 5 murders on the year.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I’d argue most of that is proximity to the US and all that is associated with that, whether that be easier access to guns (at the end of the day Canada isn’t particularly restrictive on gun ownership either), access and integration with US criminal systems (drugs, etc.), or otherwise.

Canadian gun ownership rates, even the legal kind, are above most other western nations, I think most people forget that. My father in law has 2 safes in his basement literally stuffed with them.. probably over 2 dozen. All legal, and very responsibly managed, but still. It’s not like guns don’t exist in this country.
The problem with that argument is that many Canadian provinces have higher homicide and violent crime rates than their adjacent U.S. states. See Manitoba vs. Minnesota or North Dakota, Saskatchewan vs. North Dakota or Montana, etc.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Let me guess, most of the mass shootings were committed by males as well.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 9:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The problem with that argument is that many Canadian provinces have higher homicide and violent crime rates than their adjacent U.S. states. See Manitoba vs. Minnesota or North Dakota, Saskatchewan vs. North Dakota or Montana, etc.
Yeah, that is a red herring statement to the overall issue. The gun influence is coming from the US. We all know this to be true, including yourself.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 6:07 AM

Not sure if it happened in Airdrie but a 19 year old Airdrie man was murdered by another 19 year old last week. Seems to have been over a girl.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
So what's up with Brazil and Mexico which have much lower rates of gun ownership compared even with Canada but have 5 or 6 times the homicide rate of the U.S."? Too many beans in the diet?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Not true, but I know what you are getting at. Saskatchewan murder rate in indigenous communities, particularly up north are several fold higher than in the south of the Province.

Quote:
Manitoba recorded the highest homicide rate among provinces — 4.07 per 100,000 people — while Saskatchewan’s rate was 2.93 and Alberta’s was 1.88. Prince Edward Island reported no homicides in 2018.

In Saskatchewan, the NORTHERN homicide rate per 100,000 people was 15.36, while the homicide rate in the SOUTH was 2.52.
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ts-can-reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes

My feeling last year was Regina was seeing a pretty large number of gun incidents, but with no deaths. People getting shot, shots through houses, but few deaths. This year it seems like the homicide rate is going up along with that increase in gun use.

We've also had a rather large number of drug overdoses due to what appears to be some bad fentanyl floating around: Regina has had 62 reported drug overdoses this year. So 62 reported, meaning how many actual overdoses and how many users? A bit depressing that so far this year, 1 in 4,000 people have overdosed (just by the reported numbers.)
If Regina starts counting fentanyl deaths as homicide like Saskatoon does than Regina could bump up into the double digit murders for 2020... It doesn't help that a Serial Killer was on the loose in Regina for part of the year now either...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/regina-man-charged-first-degree-murder-three-people-1.5462477

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada