HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
+1
That whole intersection has always been a complete eyesore... just look up at the hideous streetcar cables.. it's quite gross in that area.. always has been... and that huge new box of a tower there is laughable.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
That whole intersection has always been a complete eyesore... just look up at the hideous streetcar cables.. it's quite gross in that area.. always has been... and that huge new box of a tower there is laughable.
The streetcar lines are part of the vibe of the city. They are the veins that feed our transit. To me they are beautiful. Im glad we still have them where most North American cities ditched them for ugly buses.i see them as spiderwebs.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 6:57 PM
I am a typical

On Thursday, September 9 at 9am, the flue stack of Thunder Bay Generating Station was imploded by Budget Demolition. It is tied with the twin stacks of Nanticoke Generating Station for the tallest free-standing structure in Canada to be demolished. The powerhouses will be demolished by implosion by December. (Inco Superstack will be the country's largest demolition when it commences, sometime this year? But from what I understand, it won't be an implosion due to the potential to damage Inco's surrounding operations, so it will be dismantled top-down like Vancouver's Empire Landmark Hotel.)

Video Link

The stack was the fourth tallest in Ontario after the Sudbury Inco Superstack, Hearn GS Toronto stack, and the abandoned Wesleyville GS stack, and was the tallest structure in Northwestern Ontario. That title passes down to Atikokan Generating Station's 145m tall stack. The tallest free-standing structure in Thunder Bay is now the CKPR broadcast tower on Hill Street.

TBGS was converted to Biomass in 2014, and shut down in 2018 after the main boiler cracked in half, a $6M+ repair job. The facility only operated about 2-5% of the time in the last 10 years of its life, due to very low demand for electricity in the region, and cost approximately $1,500 to produce a single kilowatt hour, with a staff of nearly 100 working full time to produce about 2-3 MW per year. In 2019 it was sold by OPG to Budget Demolition of Hamilton which is recycling as much as 98% of the building materials for other construction projects worldwide. Future use of the site is still unknown, but there are rumours that Budget Demolition, City of Thunder Bay and the Ontario government are in talks with a large employer about some form of facility being constructed on the site, contingent on the removal of the existing plant.

Anyway, more videos for those who like watching large things fall over:

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

The previous tallest thing to be imploded in Thunder Bay was a 105m flue stack at the same power plant in 1998, seen here:

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 2:56 PM

What looked like a cheap metal cladding storage facility next to the Queensway in Ottawa' Centretown is being demolished for bridge replacement. Turns out, behind that crappy metal siding was a beautiful heritage bread factory. This being Ottawa, it's coming down anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfinite View Post
Videos of the demolition of A1 Mini Storage (Canada Bread)

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
On Thursday, September 9 at 9am, the flue stack of Thunder Bay Generating Station was imploded by Budget Demolition. It is tied with the twin stacks of Nanticoke Generating Station for the tallest free-standing structure in Canada to be demolished. The powerhouses will be demolished by implosion by December. (Inco Superstack will be the country's largest demolition when it commences, sometime this year? But from what I understand, it won't be an implosion due to the potential to damage Inco's surrounding operations, so it will be dismantled top-down like Vancouver's Empire Landmark Hotel.)

The stack was the fourth tallest in Ontario after the Sudbury Inco Superstack, Hearn GS Toronto stack, and the abandoned Wesleyville GS stack, and was the tallest structure in Northwestern Ontario. That title passes down to Atikokan Generating Station's 145m tall stack. The tallest free-standing structure in Thunder Bay is now the CKPR broadcast tower on Hill Street.

TBGS was converted to Biomass in 2014, and shut down in 2018 after the main boiler cracked in half, a $6M+ repair job. The facility only operated about 2-5% of the time in the last 10 years of its life, due to very low demand for electricity in the region, and cost approximately $1,500 to produce a single kilowatt hour, with a staff of nearly 100 working full time to produce about 2-3 MW per year. In 2019 it was sold by OPG to Budget Demolition of Hamilton which is recycling as much as 98% of the building materials for other construction projects worldwide. Future use of the site is still unknown, but there are rumours that Budget Demolition, City of Thunder Bay and the Ontario government are in talks with a large employer about some form of facility being constructed on the site, contingent on the removal of the existing plant.

Cool videos, vid! Did you personally watch it go down?

AFAIK the Superstack in Sudbury will not be deconstructed this year. I suspect it will be at least a couple of years before they do anything to it. It'll be a big job - there's a couple of spots in the city that a time-lapse montage might make an interesting photo shoot.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 10:07 PM
I am the law!

Budget Demolition and implosion scares me a bit.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 12:32 AM

Ya, not a great name for a company that blows things up. I'd like to see the Hearn Stack taken down.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 7:18 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

Video Link

The sound effects & camera work on that are amazing, worthy of Hollywood.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 12:52 PM

Are they still planning to demolish the Sudbury stack? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 12:41 AM
I am the law!

No takers for the 17 storey Hay River high rise priced for less than a 2 bedroom condo in downtown Toronto. I see demolition in its future.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 12:43 AM
I am the law!

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Are they still planning to demolish the Sudbury stack? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.
Afaik, it already started

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Afaik, it already started
I didn't see any evidence of demolition when I drove through a week ago, that's not to say that preparation hasn't started, just that it's not yet evident.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 12:34 PM

The Superstack should be a protected structure.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 5:18 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
I didn't see any evidence of demolition when I drove through a week ago, that's not to say that preparation hasn't started, just that it's not yet evident.
Yeah, Prep might be the better term. The steel liner is being dismantled as far as I know.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 4:18 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Demolition to begin on the 110-year-old, heritage-listed Balmoral Hotel in Vancouver: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...uver-1.6641754

It might be derelict and abandoned, but it's also one of the city's rare pre-war high-rises.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 4:50 AM
Midtowner since 2K

That's a real shame to see the Balmoral be demolished. But given it's troubled history it makes sense,, although losing that space will be well, sad. Is it just being replaced with a parking lot? Or are there plans for the site?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 6:39 PM

Heritage "preservation" in much of Canada is disgraceful. We have a few heritage buildings in Ottawa and Gatineau that have been neglected for decades. Cities don't want to expropriate because it would somehow set a "bad precedent", as if letting owners abandon buildings until they have to be demolished is somehow better.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada