HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 3:04 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Edmonton looks like Neo from the Matrix dodging all of those bullets.
Correct. Edmonton is the personification of the phrase, "Money can't buy you class." At least architecturally speaking. Then again that comes with the territory of being a youthful and brash city full of mavericks all looking to make their mark on the skyline...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 6:31 AM

These stark, imposing Eaton's towers, which I like quite a bit, were proposed for TO in 1965, but would have resulted in the demolition of Old City Hall. That was a nonstarter.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 10:55 AM

Incidentally, I find interior spaces in Edmonton are often nicer-than-average. That seems to be where a lot of the design, and frills, are focused.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 11:28 AM

International Place (initial rendering):

Source

Later version (couldn't find a larger pic):

Source

Twisted Sisters:

Source

Skye Halifax:

Source

Midtown Hotel:

Source

22nd Commerce Square:

Source

Commonwealth Games Stadium + other facilities:

Source

VIA-operated commuter rail service:

Source

Last edited by Hali87; Feb 17, 2020 at 7:45 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 11:44 AM

I really wish I could find the early Centennial proposal for the Salter Block, which included a winter garden and 40-storey observation tower (which was near-universally panned for being "too much like the CN Tower"). This would have been from around 2006 but I can't find any images remaining online, just references to it in news articles.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 3:18 PM

Quote:
One bullet finally hit hard with the Milner Library renos.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 6:13 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Lolz

'If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere'

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 6:50 PM

The Qualico building's image was actually 1/3rd in height, someone photoshopped it and added more floors to show how the building would look if it was taller.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 6:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I really wish I could find the early Centennial proposal for the Salter Block, which included a winter garden and 40-storey observation tower (which was near-universally panned for being "too much like the CN Tower"). This would have been from around 2006 but I can't find any images remaining online, just references to it in news articles.
I have a clear memory of a picture of the Salter model. I probably have it saved somewhere but I am having a hard time finding it.

I did find a couple other related images.

The elevations for the Centennial Salter proposal, not including the tower (without the tower I guess it's just an unremarkable medium-sized project):

A rendering of the Southwest Salter proposal, not selected by the Waterfront Development Corporation:

At the time, a lot of people talked about how great the architecture of the Southwest proposal was and how they wish it had been picked instead. Maybe it would have been built. It borrows conspicuously from Rowes Wharf in Boston, already 15 years old or so in those days, with the arch and dome. I don't hate that style of architecture but I am happy that we have moved past it.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 3:40 AM

^Definitely another good example of the way things have gone here. The U/C Queen's Marque also seems like a Rowe's Wharf type development but has its own unique aesthetic and feels like more of a signature building, whereas that proposal seems more like generic, vaguely-Boston-themed infill.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

Was going to give the CN a run for its money, sorta...

http://i.imgur.com/K5fLu18.jpg?1
Here's a way better scan of the C.N. Lands study;

It's not really an unbuilt 'project' per se, as it was only ever conceived as a land-use study, showing what private developers could do with the railyards if the railway was to have decommissioned them there and then. The whole genesis behind it was that the City was looking for a new arena to replace the aging Edmonton Garden's and this was presented as part of a report entitled "A Coliseum, Trade Centre or Domed Stadium for Edmonton." The ultimate result of these studies was the creation of Northlands Coliseum. Here's two other proposals: one by Hashman & Co. Ltd.;

...and one by the Stanford Research Institute;

Going way further back in time you had this awesome Central Police Station that never went anywhere. It was designed by architect Allan Merrick Jeffers, of the Legislature Building fame, and construction began on it's foundations in 1913/14. The building was never completed thanks to the war, a lack of material and manpower, and Edmonton's dwindling population. The old foundation was finally used for a much smaller central station in 1931;

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 6:47 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Eaton's Centre Toronto, 1920's:

[IMG][/IMG]
Source

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:43 PM

8 years ago today Doug Ford and RoB Ford unveiled these shitty plans complete with mall Ferris Wheel and Monorail. Nobody ever investigated who paid for the design of the plan, some shady back room deals by the Ford's no doubt.

So glad this didn't happen. There is no need for a Ferris wheel, we already have the CN Tower if you want views. We don't need another large indoor mall in the downtown area, and Mono rail, speaks for itself.

Source: https://nationalpostcom

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Eaton's Centre Toronto, 1920's:

[IMG][/IMG]
Source

It's technically partially built. Phase one was the department store but the rest of the complex was killed by the Great Depression.

source: https://www.torontopubliclibrary.c
T. Eaton Co. Ltd. let contr act. photograph of the present wrecking operations, now in the block bounded by chanan, Bay and Haytar an and Sons are carrying ract, which was let to Eaton Co. Ltd. Already buildings on the block to the north, bounded by Yonge, College, Bay and Buchanan Sts., have been completely demolished and on this block the fine new housefurnishings building of the T. Eaton Co. will be erected.

College Park by Brandon Bartoszek, on Flickr

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 6:46 PM

Buckminster Fuller's Project Toronto.

resurrecting this thread to mention that we almost got a giant pyramid designed by Buckminster Fuller on the Toronto waterfront.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 3:49 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 4:17 PM
Fake News

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 4:27 PM

^ That whole website is nuts, Erickson designed truly amazing work during his career.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 4:33 PM
Community Guy

Indeed; how did I not explore it until now.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 10:03 PM

The original vision for Ottawa's Place de Ville phase 2. A quote from Urbsite's article:

Quote:
The plans included an extension of the Sparks Street Mall between Kent and Lyon, the conversion of Queen Street, which separated the Place de Ville's two phases, into a landscaped plaza, a 200-room annex for the Skyline Hotel, a 700-seat theatre, and a major department store. After studying the details the City of Ottawa's Planning Department and eventually a very pro-development Board of Control gave Robert Campeau most of what he needed. Except for height. Initially the City Council had passed by-law 158-68 which approved the super height, but this was subsequently rejected on an appeal to the Ontario Municipal Board. As a compromise Robert Campeau offered to reduce the buildings' height from 450 feet to 375 feet. The Board of Control countered with 342 feet, which was reluctantly accepted (Ottawa Journal, January 23, 1968)

Here's phase 1 as it exists today, with the Skyline (now Delta) hotel out of frame to the left:

The plan included burying Queen Street for one block:

After the OMB and NCC quashed the taller proposal, they came up with a new plan, a hotel, office tower and theatre in between, all attached to a continuous podium:

http://urbsite.blogspot.com/2021/10/...-place-de.html

Here are the buildings as they exist today (Marriott Hotel with the revolving banquet room and the tall brown tower, with PdV I black towers and white Delta Hotel at the back).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downtown_Ottawa

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada